• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Positional Breakdown - Secondary

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Continuing the positional breakdown heading into the season, let's look at possibly the second deepest position for the Bulls, the defensive secondary. 

DEFENSIVE BACKS (18)

Starters: Nickle - Ronnie Hoggins - SR, Free Safety - Jaymon Thomas - SR, Strong Safety - Mekhi LaPointe - RS FR, CB - Mazzi Wilkins - SR, Mike Hampton - SO

Second String: Nickle - Nate Ferguson - SR, Free Safety - Naytron Culpepper - SO, Strong Safety - Bentlee Sanders - RS FR, CB - Donelle Thomas - SO, Nick Roberts - RS FR

In the Mix: Brock Nichols - JR, Jeffery Farrar - SR

Reserves: Jujuan Cherry - FR, Keyon Helton - FR, Eugene Bowman - FR, Vincent Davis - FR, Samuel Gaston - FR, Trent Shaw - JR

Outlook: Quite possibly the second deepest position on the field behind WR, USF boasts 4 seniors on the 2-deep. The position was so deep that Khalid McGee, who was positioned to take over at Nickle, has transitioned to help the linebacker corp. Ronnie Hoggins slides over to Nickle to fill the hole left by the graduation of Deatrick Nichols. Three redshirt freshman appear poised to have breakout seasons with Mekhi LaPointe starting, and Bentlee Sanders and Nick Roberts pushing for significant playing time. It will be interesting to see if there is any room on the field for a few of the talented freshman, such as Jujuan Cherry and Eugene Bowman. 

As far as 2019 and beyond, despite losing a total of 5 DBs to graduation following this season, we have 5 talented true freshman on the roster that should be ready to move up the depth chart to fill the holes left by the departing seniors. We will be experienced, but young in the secondary for 2019 and should have an absolutely stacked secondary for 2020. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Bobby said:

Ferguson is gone right?

Darn, you are correct, I completely forgot he transferred. Sorry about that. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,558
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

Continuing the positional breakdown heading into the season, let's look at possibly the second deepest position for the Bulls, the defensive secondary. 

DEFENSIVE BACKS (18)

Starters: Nickle - Ronnie Hoggins - SR, Free Safety - Jaymon Thomas - SR, Strong Safety - Mekhi LaPointe - RS FR, CB - Mazzi Wilkins - SR, Mike Hampton - SO

Second String: Nickle - Nate Ferguson - SR, Free Safety - Naytron Culpepper - SO, Strong Safety - Bentlee Sanders - RS FR, CB - Donelle Thomas - SO, Nick Roberts - RS FR

In the Mix: Brock Nichols - JR, Jeffery Farrar - SR

Reserves: Jujuan Cherry - FR, Keyon Helton - FR, Eugene Bowman - FR, Vincent Davis - FR, Samuel Gaston - FR, Trent Shaw - JR

Outlook: Quite possibly the second deepest position on the field behind WR, USF boasts 4 seniors on the 2-deep. The position was so deep that Khalid McGee, who was positioned to take over at Nickle, has transitioned to help the linebacker corp. Ronnie Hoggins slides over to Nickle to fill the hole left by the graduation of Deatrick Nichols. Three redshirt freshman appear poised to have breakout seasons with Mekhi LaPointe starting, and Bentlee Sanders and Nick Roberts pushing for significant playing time. It will be interesting to see if there is any room on the field for a few of the talented freshman, such as Jujuan Cherry and Eugene Bowman. 

As far as 2019 and beyond, despite losing a total of 5 DBs to graduation following this season, we have 5 talented true freshman on the roster that should be ready to move up the depth chart to fill the holes left by the departing seniors. We will be experienced, but young in the secondary for 2019 and should have an absolutely stacked secondary for 2020. 

Don't forget Deangelo Antoine has switched to safety and got good reviews. Also Chris Barr is now a DB as well. They are both Seniors and in the top 5 of fastest on the team so they should get playing time as well. I also forgot Ferguson left too. 

2 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Don't forget Deangelo Antoine has switched to safety and got good reviews. Also Chris Barr is now a DB as well. They are both Seniors and in the top 5 of fastest on the team so they should get playing time as well. I also forgot Ferguson left too. 

Good point. I wish I could go back and edit my original post. Given his speed, I would imagine Barr is lining up at CB. Antoine might take a year to learn the position better. We really are deep in the secondary. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,558
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, BullyPulpit said:

Good point. I wish I could go back and edit my original post. Given his speed, I would imagine Barr is lining up at CB. Antoine might take a year to learn the position better. We really are deep in the secondary. 

They are both Seniors, but the credit Antoine was getting for was his sideline to sideline speed and how it should overcome his lack of experience. Barr is definitely a CB

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Wow...didn't know Barr moved to the other side of the football to secondary.  He is quick, but didn't have the greatest hands as WR.  I hope he is able to pick up the position quickly so that he can get a little more playing time in his senior year.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

If our D line can get some decent pressure this group will get alot of turnovers. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I'm glad we have more posts like this, we all learn something as we approach the first game.  Thanks @BullyPulpit and those commenting.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

These position breakdown threads are great.