• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Building a Tailgate Trailer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  685
  • Days Won:  2

8 hours ago, MikeG said:

as for the life cycle of a tailgater-- I can relate to Brad's post. The first game you ever go to -- someone else drives you and you hang out around all these other people who know what they are doing. The next step is driving yourself and starting to bring the food and coolers.... the grill..... now the tent/shade..... a generator would be nice so you can run a fan and what the heck-- a blender for some boat drinks..... Hey-- you have a generator-- why not bring a TV? --- wait is one tv enough-- there might be several games to watch... .... you start getting popular and recruiting friends who show up and drink all your booze (can't have that) so you start bringing keg.... next thing you know you are doing keg stands (maybe) or playing flip cup/ beer pong--- better bring that table/large piece of plywood...... well got too drunk at that last game-- maybe something a little less stressful--- horseshoes or cornhole gets added to the mix.....

and before you know it-- it takes you 45 minutes just to unpack and set up your "perfect" tailgate. You start to notice it is just you and maybe one other guy doing all this work. Then once you are done-- what do you know-- here come all the people to enjoy your hard work and ask you a billion questions or give you grief if you don't have a satellite dish...... not to worry-- they are there to help you pack up. But they don't know JACK about how the stuff fits in your completely pack SUV..... so you end up doing it yourself in stages as you slowly break down the tailgate around 30-45 minutes before kickoff (depends on how deep you have gone into this)..... and your friends stand around watching you sweat your arse off as you do all this work, occasionally throwing in a sarcastic comment at your expense as they grab another beer out of your cooler because the keg is dead (or worse-- they don't like draft beer?)... but before you are done-- they decide to leave (don't want to miss kickoff) and you are still breaking it all down and putting it away--- which you finish and the parking lot is practically empty  as you towel your sweat off and throw on your game shirt, grab a walk up beer or two, lock it up and start the trek into the game.

yeah--- at some point-- you just sort of think about and think-- hey, maybe I should dial this back a bit and just bring a cooler and couple of cheers and spend my time enjoying myself instead of hosting everyone's tailgate. You have officially burned out on be the tailgate all star.

Happened to me. Happens to just about everyone I've ever watched go through this life cycle. It was fun and a learning experience and at first- a hell of a lot of fun. The key is probably to have a solid and well trained team. It is possible to do this without killing yourself. And a ready to go operation like you are shooting for with the trailer will definitely help. I got it down to a science by the time right before I left Tampa-- mini setup..... 

Although I am somewhat young in my tailgating cycle, I completely agree with this. I have learned that texting people a couple days before telling them what I need them to bring usually works. I also invested in a lock for my yeti so nobody can steal my beer :roflmao:

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

image.png.2b57c9b3865c190c5e6b3f05763ecca3.png

image.png.57822f128d356aa0f42a6ba00f1c95a9.png

Here is a method to score your tailgate from Grizzly tobacco. Not sure I agree with all this stuff but thought I would pass it along

Edited by MikeG

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

Just now, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Looks like a larger version of our Wisconsin event.

7 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

seems more like the best way to go to a cafeteria

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  685
  • Days Won:  2

11 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Mehh, I'll pass 

5 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Mehh, I'll pass 

those people look bored as all hell

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  1

On 9/11/2018 at 12:29 AM, Brad said:

Anyway, I think had I stayed in the area, I might give you guys a run for your money...  :)

I am sure you would have. In 2005 you were where I was last year. I can only imagine you would have a converted school bus with AC and a bathroom.. (Yes I am already planning the upgrade) 

3 minutes ago, Nick Carroll said:

I am sure you would have. In 2005 you were where I was last year. I can only imagine you would have a converted school bus with AC and a bathroom.. (Yes I am already planning the upgrade) 

Didn't some engineering group have something like that? I remember it being at the Auburn road game among others. SAE was on the bus but not the fraternity--- but an engineering club. They had a beer tap on the side of the bus. I didn't check out the insides though.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, Nick Carroll said:

can only imagine you would have a converted school bus with AC and a bathroom..

Correct!  And I believe @mutt was working on one not too long ago. Not sure if it got fully reconditioned or if he dropped the project after Willie’s cartoon.