• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Eriksen has Team USA on a dominant path to 2020 Olympics

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Will he be the head coach for the Olympics? 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Will he be the head coach for the Olympics? 

I don't think they have made the official selection but I believe he would be the leading candidate. 

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I'm shocked that his national team experience hasn't translated into top tier recruiting classes. I would think that,  on the field success, and ideal weather, would be a huge draw for the upper echelon recruits. 

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

Okay - I don’t follow the Olympic sports too closely.  Why wouldn’t a USA team that makes it to a WORLD tournament FINAL not make it it to the Olympics?  They’re not playing another USA team in the final right?

2 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Okay - I don’t follow the Olympic sports too closely.  Why wouldn’t a USA team that makes it to a WORLD tournament FINAL not make it it to the Olympics?  They’re not playing another USA team in the final right?

http://www.wbsc.org/wbsc-reveals-tokyo-2020-olympic-qualifiers-for-baseball-softball/

ROAD TO TOKYO 2020 – SOFTBALL

The first opportunity to qualify for the Olympic Softball medal event at Tokyo 2020 will be this August at the WBSC Women’s Softball World Championship 2018 in Chiba, Japan. The 1st Place finisher in Chiba will be awarded direct entry into Tokyo 2020 without having to pass through Qualifiers. (Should Japan win the WBSC World Championship in Chiba, the 2nd Place finisher would be granted the Olympic spot.)

Africa/Europe Qualifier

The Africa/Europe qualification event will be an eight-team tournament, where the winner will earn a place at Tokyo 2020. Competing in this Qualifier will be top six finishers from the European Softball Championship 2019 and the top two teams from the African Softball Championship 2019.

Americas Qualifier

The Americas Olympic qualifier will be a maximum 16-team tournament, with the winner and the 2nd Place nation advancing to Tokyo 2020. Eligible nations to compete in this Qualifier will be based on the finals standings of the Pan American Championship 2019.

Asia/Oceania Qualifier

The Asia/Oceania Qualifier will be an eight-team tournament, with the winner advancing to Tokyo 2020. Competing in this Qualifier (not counting already qualified nations for Tokyo 2020) will be top six finishers from the Asian Softball Championship 2019 and the top two teams from the Oceania Softball Championship 2019.

Women’s National Softball Team Composition

National Team roster sizes for Olympic Softball will be 15 athletes, and the athletes must be at least 16 years old (prior to the start of the respective event) to participate in any of the four qualification events as well as the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 tournament. Professional players are eligible. Athletes must comply with Olympic Charter Rule 41 (Nationality of Competitors) and Rule 43 (World Anti-Doping Code and the Olympic Movement Code on the Prevention of Manipulation of Competitions).

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

Thanks!

(Should Japan win the WBSC World Championship in Chiba, the 2nd Place finisher would be granted the Olympic spot.)

So had Japan beat us and went on to win the final, they would not have gotten an Olympic spot. I’m assuming this is because they were the host?  I almost didn’t want to read that - makes it sound like we beat a team with nothing to gain. But I’m not going to believe that. I’m sure the ladies on both sides play with a lot of pride in a tournament like that.

Some comments above indicate the coach of this team may not coach the Olympic team - what about the players? Do these players stay intact or could some just be playing so that our country has a seat at the table?

Edited by Boomer

1 minute ago, Boomer said:

Thanks!

(Should Japan win the WBSC World Championship in Chiba, the 2nd Place finisher would be granted the Olympic spot.)

So had Japan beat us and went on to win the final, they would not have gotten an Olympic spot. I’m assuming this is because they were the host?  I almost didn’t want to read that - makes it sound like we beat a team with nothing to gain. But I’m not going to believe that. I’m sure the ladies on both sides play with a lot of pride in a tournament like that.

Some comments above indicate the coach of this team may not coach the Olympic team - what about the players? Do these players stay intact or could some just be playing so that our country has a seat at the table?

Yeah, had Japan beaten us then both teams in the final would have advanced win lose or draw. Kinda sucks because there would have been a clear advantage in being in the other bracket.