• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaches on the HOTSEAT-GOL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

ESPN

George O'Leary, Central Florida

There were high expectations when O'Leary took over as head coach of the Knights in 2004, but it took only one winless season (0-11) to take all the air out of the balloon. O'Leary's health issues also generate cause for concern.

Central Florida's offense averaged just 15.9 points per game and allowed 50 sacks last season. Its defense wasn't much better, as it surrendered 22 rushing touchdowns and generated just 14 sacks in 11 games. If there is a silver lining, it is youth. The offense returns eight starters and should be much-improved on the line after suffering through growing pains last season. The defense should also be stronger because of the young talent it returns in its front seven, which was a sore spot due to inexperience a year ago.

The schedule will work in O'Leary's favor, as Conference USA rivals Marshall, Memphis and Houston visit the Citrus Bowl. The Knights could get off to a bumpy start with games at South Carolina, at South Florida and at Southern Miss in the first month and a half of the season. But if O'Leary and his staff can develop their young talent and keep players motivated down the stretch, Central Florida can win at least four of its last five games. Anything less than five wins overall could spell doom for O'Leary.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I haven't paid all that much attention to how things are going over there, but looking at their schedule I think 5 wins is possible.

South Carolina - Loss

South Florida - Loss

Marshall - Loss

Louisiana-Laf. - Win

Memphis - Loss

Southern Miss. - Win

Tulane - Win

East Carolina - Win

Houston - Loss

UAB - Loss

Rice - Win

Like I said, I haven't paid much attention, to either UCF or CUSA, but this looks entirely possible to me.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

UCF can't afford to fire him.....so win or lose they are stuck with Honest George.

What was his buyout?

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

The full value of the contract....for GOL and his staff. Then again this was the administration that gave their previous coaching staff an extension and fired them 8 months later. ::)

Remember, even though UCF was negociating against itself they caved in on all his demands....

That is some pretty piss poor negotiating.  Not having a buyout clause other than paying the contract off is ridiculous.  The only reason I can think of that they would do that is they thought they needed to impress upon him that they were committed to him.  Sounds like you've been right all along, they really were negotiating against themselves.  It also means that the UCFers are right when they say he's got a few years before they'd get rid of him.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677
  • Days Won:  0

GOL isnt on any hotseat... Steve Orsini knew the mess they were in when he took over.  UCF will be better than last year... they are bigger stronger and deeper with more experience... How many wins???   I dont have a clue.. my guess is 3 to 6 ... with 4 being likely.  I like everything i am hearing from practice so far... GOL sounds pretty satisfied.. he never did last year... very few injurys so far....

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

I haven't paid all that much attention to how things are going over there, but looking at their schedule I think 5 wins is possible.

South Carolina - Loss

South Florida - Loss

Marshall - Loss

Louisiana-Laf. - Win

Memphis - Loss

Southern Miss. - Win

Tulane - Win

East Carolina - Win

Houston - Loss

UAB - Loss

Rice - Win

Like I said, I haven't paid much attention, to either UCF or CUSA, but this looks entirely possible to me.

Kinda agree except USM will desyroy ucf..

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,074
  • Days Won:  172

what do you expect from ftu/ou/oc?