• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Up-to-date Current NCAA Projections (mine)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I like PS in game one for this reason. We are going to need them both to be better than average this time around though. 

On all levels, it's the best call. Pete gets the #3 and has the outside chance at coming back in a later game. Shane gets the #1 if we win or the elimination game if we lose.

Side note: I predicted this exact scenario before the season if anyone wants to dig up the thread.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

19 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I was just making sure.  I mean we only scored 2 runs in our last AAC game and he wasn't on the hill.  I know some people want him to throw 8-9 innings every time out, but we are going to have to figure out a way to score more than 2 runs against better than average pitching if we are going to advance. 

Maybe we should send him to the plate.  it worked for LSU the other night.  😜

We need him to play awesome. A part of me wants him to start and mow people down but I understand if he does not open. Got to trust the coach on this decision. Regardless, I got a crazy feeling about all this...why not us? 

22 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Two schools of thought...

1) Gotta win game one before you do anything else. Throw who you think gives you the best chance.

2) Game one is theoretically against your easier opponent, so you throw your #2 at the start and hold back your #1 for game two.

Either way, Shane is definitely done after he throws his one game, so he starts game two for me. Pete gives you a chance AND he might be able to throw again.

This makes total sense

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

8 minutes ago, JTrue said:

On all levels, it's the best call. Pete gets the #3 and has the outside chance at coming back in a later game. Shane gets the #1 if we win or the elimination game if we lose.

Side note: I predicted this exact scenario before the season if anyone wants to dig up the thread.

You think Stetson saves Gilbert for Saturday night?

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

4 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I believe I remember agreeing with you way back then as well. But everything will depend on how much we put on the bullpen. Idk if you can bank on PS going twice.  You won’t want to use to many quality bullpen arms with SM going the next day so you would like for PS to eat as much of one as possible and a long outing might be to much for him to come back from. 

Just now, BrassBulls12 said:

I believe I remember agreeing with you way back then as well. But everything will depend on how much we put on the bullpen. Idk if you can bank on PS going twice.  You won’t want to use to many quality bullpen arms with SM going the next day so you would like for PS to eat as much of one as possible and a long outing might be to much for him to come back from. 

He wouldn't start, but he might close a final game

We need to score runs.  We scored 2 runs in each of those losses in the AAC tourney.  We can talk pitching all we want, but that's going to be tough to overcome

14 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

We need to score runs.  We scored 2 runs in each of those losses in the AAC tourney.  We can talk pitching all we want, but that's going to be tough to overcome

This...almost all year we have had high scoring games followed by low ones (and vice versa). We need consistent bats or nothing about pitching will matter. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

38 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

22 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This...almost all year we have had high scoring games followed by low ones (and vice versa). We need consistent bats or nothing about pitching will matter. 

Absolutely true. But this time of year, everyone has an ace. Look at the top 25, their #1 might not be going in the first round of the draft, but he's no joker. And everyone has trouble scoring against the "good" pitching, hence the "good" pitching title bestowed on them. Teams that move on move on because their guy beat the other guy.

The year Coastal Carolina won, they went up against Logan Shore in game one of the CWS. Andrew Beckwith outdueled him and Shore got his only loss of the season in 2-1 game and finished the year 13-1. When it's crunch time, 2 runs may or may not be enough. Good pitching always beats good hitting. You have to scratch out a win against the big guy and then out thump the rest of the staff. 

Side note: Beckwith started 3 games in the CWS that year. 23 2/3 innings and gave up 2 earned runs. That's a beast performance on the biggest stage. And he only started 9 total games that entire year. He was mostly used in relief but stepped up when they asked him to.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

9 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Absolutely true. But this time of year, everyone has an ace. Look at the top 25, their #1 might not be going in the first round of the draft, but he's no joker. And everyone has trouble scoring against the "good" pitching, hence the "good" pitching title bestowed on them. Teams that move on move on because their guy beat the other guy.

The year Coastal Carolina won, they went up against Logan Shore in game one of the CWS. Andrew Beckwith outdueled him and Shore got his only loss of the season in 2-1 game and finished the year 13-1. When it's crunch time, 2 runs may or may not be enough. Good pitching always beats good hitting. You have to scratch out a win against the big guy and then out thump the rest of the staff. 

Side note: Beckwith started 3 games in the CWS that year. 23 2/3 innings and gave up 2 earned runs. That's a beast performance on the biggest stage. And he only started 9 total games that entire year. He was mostly used in relief but stepped up when they asked him to.

This, hitting is to difficult to hang your hat on, you have to able win 2-1 one games to beat anyone ace. Especially in the post season.