• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball projections for May 9th D1 baseball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

https://d1baseball.com/projections/projected-field-64-may-9/

TALLAHASSEE
    1 Florida State (10)
    4 Sam Houston State*

3 Mississippi State
    2 South Florida

D1Baseball's Projected Field of 64: May 9
GAINESVILLE    
1 Florida* (1)    
4 Hartford*    

3 Florida Atlantic    
2 Jacksonville

Athens 

1 Georgia (4)    
4 Campbell*    

3 Michigan    
2 Coastal Carolina*

Now heading to Tally, Still not worse case scenario, Some can argue that FSU is a better match up for us and some will just want to get out of the state of Florida. At the end of the day, its not G-villie and that's a plus. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Won’t last long in Tally...a little bit longer in Athens. 

I don't like the addition of Mississippi St. as our opening game. That's a tough 3. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Won’t last long in Tally...a little bit longer in Athens. 

All relevant.  UGA is a very good team as well.  Where ever we land we are probably looking at a 2 seed.  The 1 seed is going to have significantly more depth than us, the 3 seed is going to be pretty darn good as well and the 4 seed is going to be capable of beating us if their pitcher is on/our hitting is off.  We are going to need great outings from SM and PS and hope to make it to the finals in the winners bracket.  Even if we pull that off, we still face the strong possibility of facing a 1 seed with much more pitching depth than us.

Other words, it's an uphill battle to get to Omaha where ever we land.  Gainesville makes it easy for me to go see them play in the Regionals again because of proximity while Tally and Athens are going to be a little more of a challenge.

And of course, there are still 3 weeks to play.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

To be fair, it’s not supposed to be easy to get to Omaha.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

To be fair, it’s not supposed to be easy to get to Omaha.

Oh, it's definitely not.  No matter what your seed, you still have to win at least 3 tough games in just a few days.  I was just laying out the scenario no matter where we play and the fact that it really isn't much different.  You're talking minor advantages of being in 1 region overt another and that's without accounting for teams/players getting "hot" at the right time. 

Hopefully we're that team :03-nutkick:

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

7 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Oh, it's definitely not.  No matter what your seed, you still have to win at least 3 tough games in just a few days.  I was just laying out the scenario no matter where we play and the fact that it really isn't much different.  You're talking minor advantages of being in 1 region overt another and that's without accounting for teams/players getting "hot" at the right time. 

Hopefully we're that team :03-nutkick:

I agree, I was just being obnoxious. I think there’s something to be said about avoiding the same regional multiple years, especially when you constantly have to play the buzzsaw that is UF. Give me Tally anyway, or better you take me out of the state. Although, I doubt that happens.

Can you give us 4 teams you are most confident in at this moment to make it to Omaha? Don’t be scared!

php0avx8xkendallrogers-150x150.jpg
Kendall Rogers: 

Florida
Stanford
Arkansas
Oregon State

I feel like OSU and Arkansas both have some really nice components at the plate, but obviously have issues at times on the mound, it seems. But I still think both of them will have big success in the postseason.

How many teams can realistically win the title this year?

phpfu0hnkfitt_headshot_3.png
Aaron Fitt: 

Interesting question. There are definitely fewer teams that I REALLY like this year than I can ever remember… I feel like the national title will likely be one by one of the top teams in the SEC (Florida, Arkansas… maybe Ole Miss/Kentucky/Auburn as a darkhorse) or the Pac-12 (Stanford, Oregon State, maybe UCLA as a darkhorse).

A lot of postseason baseball is getting hot at the right time and building that momentum for the conference tourneys, regionals, supers and so on. Give me your hottest 5 teams in the country.

phpfu0hnkfitt_headshot_3.png
Aaron Fitt: 

The problem is it’s maybe still too early to predict who’s going to be hot in June — there are still three more weeks for a team that’s hot now to cool down. It’s hard to stay hot for 6 or 7 straight weeks. That said… Stanford and Florida have pretty much been hot for 12 straight weeks, so it can be done. South Carolina and Minnesota are two more teams that are hot right now and have caught my attention, and I really like how Southern Miss has played since Sandlin got back.

I just keep reading things like this and although Tuesday night was a mid week, it did give a glimpse of what that UF line up can do to our bull pen. All this just says avoid at all cost to me. 

28 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

the buzzsaw that is UF.

For real though. I don't know how many lineups are that good top to bottom. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

There's no doubt that avoiding UF is a good thing, but the prize of getting UGA or FSU is only nominal.   What's up with ucf getting a #2 seed at Stetson according to this projection?

No matter where we go, we are going to have to step up and play better than we've shown to win. To me a super regional is probably our max goal. We just aren't an Omaha team. I'm just hoping to easiest route there, knowing none are easy. 

Its an interesting regional. Stetson has a 5-2 record against the top 25 in RPI (unfortunately we are two of them).  Funny thing is that us getting into to top 25 in RPI is probably what got them there.