• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MLB Draft, MLB.com

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Dave got me thinking baseball while I had a chance to surf a bit, here is a recent MLB mock draft of first round, Shane McClanahan may have slipped a bit, but still an early pick.

Projections for all 30 first-round Draft picks

8. Braves: Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida

Last year, the Braves went the college arm route and were thrilled to have Kyle Wright available for them to take. McClanahan is a lefty with power stuff that will play at the next level. High school bats like Kelenic or Arizona-area third baseman Nolan Gorman also get brought up, as do the top two prep arms already off the board in this mock.

I'm sure TBP has some Braves fans that will be happy to see this.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Dave got me thinking baseball while I had a chance to surf a bit, here is a recent MLB mock draft of first round, Shane McClanahan may have slipped a bit, but still an early pick.

Last year, the Braves went the college arm route and were thrilled to have Kyle Wright available for them to take. McClanahan is a lefty with power stuff that will play at the next level. High school bats like Kelenic or Arizona-area third baseman Nolan Gorman also get brought up, as do the top two prep arms already off the board in this mock.

The projections vary.  I think I saw one still projecting him at #3.  Might depend on how much work they are putting into it

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Preseason had him at 3, but everything i've seen since has him in this range. Braves have a ton of young talent coming up right now. they should be pretty good here in next five years. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

6 hours ago, Brad said:

Bobby Cox was not overly impressed with Shane the night he was there and sitting in front of us. Don't know how much faith the Brave's put in his opinion but I would think it is substantial.

4 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Bobby Cox was not overly impressed with Shane the night he was there and sitting in front of us. Don't know how much faith the Brave's put in his opinion but I would think it is substantial.

Was he sober?  Kidding.  What night was that?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

10 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Early in the season. I didn't know who he was. Kids kept coming up to him asking for his autograph.  My wife noted an Atlanta belt on him and I put 2 and 2 together.  Started chatting a bit.  He was there to see Shane.  When they took him from the game Bobby left and as he walked away I asked what he thought. It was kind of "meh". Doesn't mean the Braves won't draft him.

Edited by Bourbon Bull

2 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Early in the season. I didn't know who he was. Kids kept coming up to him asking for his autograph.  My wife noted an Atlanta belt on him and I put 2 and 2 together.  Started chatting a bit.  He was there to see Shane.  When they took him from the game Bobby left and as he walked away I asked what he thought. It was kind of "meh".

Makes sense.  He had Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz for many years.  Those guys could put it on a dime all day long.  Shane probably isn't his cup of tea.  There's times I'm not sure he could hit the broad side of a barn.  Not to mention that pretty much all the pitchers at the MLB level have nasty stuff.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

10 hours ago, chapelbull said:

March 23rd.

3 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Early in the season. I didn't know who he was. Kids kept coming up to him asking for his autograph.  My wife noted an Atlanta belt on him and I put 2 and 2 together.  Started chatting a bit.  He was there to see Shane.  When they took him from the game Bobby left and as he walked away I asked what he thought. It was kind of "meh". Doesn't mean the Braves won't draft him.

I'm not sure if Bobby Cox would be the type to show an emotion either way. Especially if he is scouting for the Braves. He probably just would have liked to have seen him last longer in the start. Also, if he watched him on March 23, it wasn't a very good showing. 

USF vs UCONN 3/23

Edited by BrassBulls12
link added

BA has him at 5 

Last: 4

Shane McClanahan

4YRLHP
Notes:

School: South Florida
Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 188 | B-T: L-L | Committed/Drafted: Mets '15 (26)
Scouting Report: The top college lefthander in the 2018 draft class, McClanahan possesses some of the best raw stuff of any draft-eligible player in the country led by a fastball that can reach 100 mph. That number would have seemed absurd after seeing McClanahan prior to his senior season at Cape Coral (Fla.) High, when he was throwing a mid-80s fastball. But McClanahan went through a massive growth spurt around that time, going from 5-foot-6 to the 6-foot-2 he’s currently listed at and touched 94 mph at times during the spring of 2015. Three years later, and through his first 10 starts of the 2018 season with South Florida, McClanahan is regularly in the mid- to upper 90s with his fastball and has used that pitch to help him lead the country in strikeouts per nine innings (15.02), with 94 strikeouts in 56.1 innings. At just 188 pounds with a lean frame that could still add more weight, McClanahan doesn’t get that sort of velocity with a huge, muscular build but instead with a lightning quick arm out of a low, three-quarter slot in a delivery that some scouts describe as high-effort. In addition to his fastball, McClanahan has a mid-80s changeup and a slider, both of which project as plus pitches down the line although the changeup is currently more consistent than the breaking ball. McClanahan isn’t without warts, however, as he already had Tommy John surgery, which sidelined him during the 2016 season, and is regularly erratic to the plate. McClanahan has a history of being more of a thrower than a pitcher at this point, with more than five walks per nine innings through his first 10 starts in 2018. Durability will be a question mark with McClanahan as well, as many college pitchers around him on draft boards have a much longer track record of performance and summer history. Still, the pure stuff he offers from the left side is a rare commodity and one that teams at the top of the first round will likely pounce at given the opportunity this June. McClanahan offers the potential of a top-of-the-rotation southpaw if everything breaks right and he improves his control and command. Assuming good health, a worst-case scenario for McClanahan would likely be taking on the role of a shutdown reliever.

Baseball America top 500 prospects

Edited by BrassBulls12