• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

For everyone who just knows how bad this offense was this year...

2016 2017
Points per game 43.8 38.3
Yards/game 511.5 508.6
First Downs/gm 23.1 25.6
Rush off 285.3 265.4
pass off 226.2 243.3
3rd down % 44.2 43.7
yards/play 7.1 6.1
Plays 928 919

The "plays" category surprises me the most. For how "slow" our offense was, we only ran 9 less plays than last year with 2 less games up to this point. Shocking!

Not to mention, nearly 5 min increase in time of possession which played a big part in allowing the defense to improve so much. Now, I know that the eye ball test is different from stats, but, statistically, we were not that much worse than last year (and the defense was WAY better). My biggest issue is that Flowers didn't look like we all thought that he would. Some of that is on him, a lot is on the coaching staff holding him back from running (if the reports from his uncle after the Houston game are true). Still, this was better complementary football than last year even with the slight dip in production. I also am fully aware that our competition was a bit better last year, but, the reality is that Flowers plays better with better competition. He's better when he has to carry the team, so, I don't think the production would have been that much worse with better competition. Friday's game shows what can be done in this offense when needed.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Key stat to compare would be TDs in the red zone. 

It is not just about stats, it's situational football.

I could be wrong, but our ineffectiveness on first down and/or penalties in the red zone seemed to bov us down ftom putting the ball in the end zone. 

Regardless, in the end it came down to poor special teams and poor defense that cost us our shot in the ccg.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

College FB Team Opp 4th Quarter Points/Game  -   104    S Florida    8.5        2016 - 9.2

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/stats/

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,548
  • Days Won:  28

Thank you for this post. People swear we had a total collapse on offense. I think the difference from last year is that we had Rodney Adams/Marlon Mack on our offense that gave us better redzone and total offense efficiency. I think next year, Salmon, McCants and Cronkite will help us improve in those areas. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

3 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Thank you for this post. People swear we had a total collapse on offense. I think the difference from last year is that we had Rodney Adams/Marlon Mack on our offense that gave us better redzone and total offense efficiency. I think next year, Salmon, McCants and Cronkite will help us improve in those areas. 

Our offense, "looked" better last year.  There's also this:  Time of possession per game - 2017, 31:01 - 2016, 26:49

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

My only problem with offense is we tried running up middle way to much and it made offense predictable at times.  Wish we ran some option plays like Ucf and some more jet sweeps...just more creative in run game.

Curious if Chris O can run a similar offense. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

14 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Our offense, "looked" better last year.  There's also this:  Time of possession per game - 2017, 31:01 - 2016, 26:49

Absolutely, and I think that was a coaching decision based on how little talent we had on defense in some areas (specifically LB) and how bad our defense as a whole was last year. It worked, so, complaining doesn't make any sense at all from that perspective.

Agree with you BOP about running up the middle. DJ is not that type of runner, Tice is more suited, but, you can't be predictable either. I do think they were concerned about QF getting injured which hampered things a bit too. There were a lot of read-option looks that he never pulled when he could have. Having lost Grothe and Daniels early in their senior years, I was very concerned that Flowers wasn't going to make it through the year, so, I understand the decision. It did hurt his stats and our overall production though.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

5 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

There were a lot of read-option looks that he never pulled when he could have. 

This is lost on a lot of people