• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College Football Playoff Cartel

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

22 hours ago, 86atlbull said:

This is one of the best article Bianchi has written and you could substitute USF / UCF if you look at the big picture.  This G5 / P5 separation sucks and it needs to change or its going to ruin college football.  USF not being ranked in the College Football Playoff poll is directly related to this article.     

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-ucf-college-football-ranking-mike-bianchi-1109-story.html

College Football Playoff Committee, why don’t they just change their name to the College Football Playoff Cartel for the Privileged and Powerful?

At least then determined and diligent men like UCF coach Scott Frost and his unbeaten Knights would understand that this unfair and inequitable system is not designed for teams like them. They could then come to grips with the fact that there is no room at the inn, no seat on the bus, no opportunity for them to reach the pinnacle of their sport because they are not a member of the Power 5 conferences’ privileged class.

The Knights, even though they are one of the most dominant teams in the nation, are shamefully ranked No. 18 in the latest College Football Playoff ranking – the same as they were ranked last week despite the fact that several teams ahead of them lost and UCF won a tough road game against a good SMU team. UCF athletics director Danny White told us a few days ago that his team’s ranking is an insult to what the Knights have accomplished this season.

“Look at the games we’ve won and how we’ve looked as we’ve won them,” White said. “To have multiple two-loss teams ranked ahead of us is disrespectful to us and our conference.”

What’s even more disrespectful is CFB Playoff Committee Chairman Kirby Hocutt taking us for a bunch of fools when he claims UCF’s “strength of schedule” is the reason for their low ranking. Except UCF’s strength of schedule is almost exactly the same as fellow unbeaten Wisconsin, which is ranked No. 8 in the poll.

UCF strength of schedule hinders move up in College Football Playoff rankings

That’s right, UCF is the highest-scoring team in the nation and has essentially played the same schedule as Wisconsin — and beaten its opponents more decisively than Wisconsin — and yet UCF is ranked 10 spots below the Badgers.

Why? Power 5 politics and privilege, that’s why. College football continues to run the most archaic, asinine, exclusionary system in all of sports. Because the Badgers were lucky enough to be around a century ago when the major conferences were formed, they will get to chance to play for a national championship if they go unbeaten whereas UCF won’t.

Good grief, can you imagine if the rest of American society was as antiquated and discriminatory as college football? … Sorry, ladies, you don’t get the same rights as men because you weren’t allowed to vote 100 years ago.

It’s an absolute joke that there are eight — EIGHT! — two-loss Power Five teams ranked ahead of UCF. How is that the two-loss Virginia Tech Hokies — beaten by double digits in the only two games they’ve played against ranked opponents — can be ranked ahead of UCF? Puh-leeze! The Knights are not only unbeaten, but they destroyed the only ranked team on their schedule (Memphis) 40-13.

Let’s face it, for schools like UCF, the relatively new College Football Playoff system is really no different than the old BCS (Bogus Cartel System). It’s simply the same old song with different voices singing it. Today, it’s current AD White talking about being disrespected. A decade ago, it was former UCF AD Steve Orsini.

UCF Knights Sports Talk Podcast

“Every sport in the NCAA except football is built on the idea of inclusion,” Orsini told me a dozen years ago. “Football has been exclusionary. I think all anybody wants here is a fair shot.”

But that’s not the way college football works. As crooked and corrupt as college basketball is, at least it’s a sport that doesn’t discriminate. If college basketball were like college football, Villanovawould have never upset Georgetown for the national title because the Wildcats would have never been allowed in the tournament. They would have been relegated to playing Gonzaga in the first round of the CBI.

Sadly, Cinderella continues to be black-balled by college football.

She’s back at home washing the dishes, scrubbing the floors and turning down the beds so her Power 5 stepsisters can get ready for their private and privileged postseason ball.

THE NCAA CARTEL

THE POWER 5 LOVE the system

afterall this is the american way

Edited by smazza
i am an idiot

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

18 hours ago, deadudea said:

The realization of this whole thing is really starting to turn me off from college football completely. If my team doesn't have a chance, what's the point? Might as well be FCS so at least we can win a title there.

I also wonder how much athletes are aware of this, and how much it kills/drives their motivation. We've already seen coaches repeatedly leave for better schools, how long before the players start to give up?

Because a team in our position was in a better place in 1977, 1987, 1997, and 2007...

but alas NOW it's unfair and you don't want to watch? How bout we (or any G5 team if that's where you want to go) run the table and get pinched before taking any I'm not watching P5 stance. 

17 hours ago, Triple B said:

If you put two top FCS teams in Tennessee and Florida jerseys and in a packed stadium and had them play each other, a casual observer would probably not be able to tell the difference in the product on the field and would buy that this was a top flight match up. You are correct, it's ALL about perception ...

Current teams, absolutely. In fact, I'll take the G5 school against FL

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

18 hours ago, Triple B said:

If you put two top FCS teams in Tennessee and Florida jerseys and in a packed stadium and had them play each other, a casual observer would probably not be able to tell the difference in the product on the field and would buy that this was a top flight match up. You are correct, it's ALL about perception ...

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Current teams, absolutely. In fact, I'll take the G5 school against FL

You're missing the point. It's all about the "relevancy", not the football. Too many "fans", obviously a lot of ours included, are letting the NCAA and sports media decide what they should or shouldn't care about rather than just embracing their college football team ...

Edited by Triple B

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

You're missing the point. It's all about the "relevancy", not the football. Too many "fans", obviously a lot of ours included, are letting the NCAA and sports media decide what they should or shouldn't care about rather than just embracing their college football team ...

It has been that way well before people had TV sets in their house. It didn't bother our fan base when we were part of that group and if we're ever fortunate to get back it won't bother them then.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I for one am a bit humbled by the CFP. I honestly didn't think we'd make the top-4 if we went undefeated, but, I suspected that we'd be in the top-6 and just barely out unless some chaos worked in our favor. I realize now that was a pipe dream.

Assuming we had beaten Houston, let's say we're even ahead of UCF still due to last year's success... we'd be at generously around 12-14? We may move up to 10 or so and UCF up to 15ish for the Black Friday matchup? Even a win wouldn't be enough to help us move up significantly. I really thought that both teams would be sniffing the top-10 if undefeated and maybe catapult up after the game, but, it's not an inclusive system. The only hope would be to string together 2-3 undefeated seasons. That would take an amazing coach that is committed to the program and a Quinton Flowers type special player hitting their full stride in their sophomore year because the recruiting at this level isn't going to allow for instant talent replenishing.

It's a shame.

As someone else pointed out, if both Bama and UGa get in, I could actually see the system possibly getting expanded... that would mean that at least 2 of the $5 conferences are left out... if ND holds on, then, we could have 3 $5 conferences out in the cold... I think that is the scenario that could cause some changes. Give me Bama, UGa, ND, and Clemson. Leave out the B12, B10, PAC and lets see some heads roll.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Triple B said:

30 minutes ago, Joe said:

It has been that way well before people had TV sets in their house.

I'm talking about the influence of sports media so how can quantify it was "that way" before there was any .... ?

37 minutes ago, Joe said:

It didn't bother our fan base when we were part of that group and if we're ever fortunate to get back it won't bother them then.

Which plays back to the point of letting someone else decide if your team is relevant to you or not ....

15 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

As someone else pointed out, if both Bama and UGa get in, I could actually see the system possibly getting expanded... that would mean that at least 2 of the $5 conferences are left out... if ND holds on, then, we could have 3 $5 conferences out in the cold... I think that is the scenario that could cause some changes. Give me Bama, UGa, ND, and Clemson. Leave out the B12, B10, PAC and lets see some heads roll.

No matter how apparent it may be that those are the 4 best teams in the country, I don't think there's any way the Committee has the balls to put them there. Good news, though, is that it would probably piss off the SEC enough to join the 2 left out , which may spur a concerted effort to expand the playoffs.

We need to have those 4 teams run the table with Bama/UGa winning their ccg in triple OT ...

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Orlando Bull said:

I for one am a bit humbled by the CFP. I honestly didn't think we'd make the top-4 if we went undefeated, but, I suspected that we'd be in the top-6 and just barely out unless some chaos worked in our favor. I realize now that was a pipe dream.

Assuming we had beaten Houston, let's say we're even ahead of UCF still due to last year's success... we'd be at generously around 12-14? We may move up to 10 or so and UCF up to 15ish for the Black Friday matchup? Even a win wouldn't be enough to help us move up significantly. I really thought that both teams would be sniffing the top-10 if undefeated and maybe catapult up after the game, but, it's not an inclusive system. The only hope would be to string together 2-3 undefeated seasons. That would take an amazing coach that is committed to the program and a Quinton Flowers type special player hitting their full stride in their sophomore year because the recruiting at this level isn't going to allow for instant talent replenishing.

It's a shame.

The change we should be rooting for is OU to beat TCU this weekend then lose to them in their new CCG, or vice versa. If they miss out this season because they had to play a round robin and then an extra game that may be enough to push for 12 to get two divisions.

My gut tells me an expansion of the playoffs would be the final death nail in the G5. I just dont see them expanding and giving a non P5 team any sort of auto-bid, I think they lock G5 out cold and its a split of divisions.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Because a team in our position was in a better place in 1977, 1987, 1997, and 2007...

but alas NOW it's unfair and you don't want to watch? How bout we (or any G5 team if that's where you want to go) run the table and get pinched before taking any I'm not watching P5 stance. 

I'm not sure what you're arguing against.