• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Did we hire the Charlie Strong of Texas or Louisville?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, Wildrover said:

CCS at Texas and Louisville are the same animal.  He was successful at Louisville because he had a stacked cupboard facing inferior competition.  he was hired away before getting exposed.  Many will say I'm saying this tonight as an emotional reaction to a sore loss.  That's a fair counterpoint since I haven't been here in a while.  My evidence,  which is future evidence,  will be how much of a step back we take next year.

Nebraska's three yards and a cloud of dust doesn't exist anymore, not even in Nebraska.  yet,  we have a coach who has so much faith in an OC who seems to believe in that,  despite having a stable of thoroughbreds built for speed and not a lot of corn-fed bovine built to push the smaller opponent aside, this is the best system for us.  It suggests an old school 'I'm right caused it worked before"  mentality and not a "build around the strengths of the players I have mentality" 

Coaches should have no system in my opinion except that they build around the players they have.  Forcing players to adhere to systems that are not suited to their talents is folly yet something we are seeing not only in CCS and Gilbert but around the country in all kinds of sports.  As a business scholar its management 101,  you as the boss do what needs to be done to provide the environment that will get the most out of your people.  the old school way of forcing your people to bend to you will doesn't yield the best results in business,  why haven't htey figured that out in football? 

$0.02

I don''t see where there is so much speed on this team offensively. Our guys have been caught from behind more often than not. Very little YAC. Runners have struggled to get the edge all year. 

Maybe more read option runs and finding ways to get Flowers into space.and get DJ involved in the passing game.

The problem is besides Flowers there are no real playmakers. 

There was more speed on Houston's offense. 

Came down to poor game management and a freak play. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Just now, GaUSFBull said:

Willie was much younger and had coached out of the Florida element before coming here.  At least he did adapt.

And in his defense, which I hate to do, Willie inherited a team grossly lacking in talent. The opposite is true in the current case. Now would other systems have done a bit better in his first 2 years, probably so but it was going to be ugly regardless.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

Willie was much younger and had coached out of the Florida element before coming here.  At least he did adapt.

Not to mention the team he took over was a horrible mess. All CCs had to do was not F it up...which he has 

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, Rex Havoc said:

All CCS had to do was not change things up on offense. Anyone with eyes could see that our offense didn’t need changing. 

I agree.  Was just pointing out that Willie tried to force his system here too.  Hopefully Strong figures it out sooner than later, but I am afraid he is too old school/conservative.  He wants to run the ball and win with defense.  

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

In an alternate reality Taggart tales a P5 job after 2015. USF hires Scott Frost and we are arguing about whether it's cool to drop 70 points a game on the opponents or if it's unsportsmanlike.

1 minute ago, Bulls Are We said:

I agree.  Was just pointing out that Willie tried to force his system here too.  Hopefully Strong figures it out sooner than later, but I am afraid he is too old school/conservative.  He wants to run the ball and win with defense.  

The team xcwt took over was a dumpster 🔥. CCS was gifted a complete team. 

1 minute ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

In an alternate reality Taggart tales a P5 job after 2015. USF hires Scott Frost and we are arguing about whether it's cool to drop 70 points a game on the opponents or if it's unsportsmanlike.

Luckily for us he will probably be gone soon. That’s the type of coach we should be looking for. 

The team xcwt took over was a dumpster 🔥. CCS was gifted a complete team. 

Until the Memphis game in 2015 Taggart was still trying to run that Stanford, double tight end, pro style BS.  With Flowers, Mack and Adams on the roster.  

1 minute ago, Bulls Are We said:

Until the Memphis game in 2015 Taggart was still trying to run that Stanford, double tight end, pro style BS.  With Flowers, Mack and Adams on the roster.  

Wasn’t saying xcwt was a genius, just saying CCS got it easy and is messing it up 

Wasn’t saying xcwt was a genius, just saying CCS got it easy and is messing it up 

I agree.  Just hoping Strong figures it out at some point like Taggart did.