• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt/McCullum Summer Tour?  Where did it go?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

I didn't go to it this year but the AA luncheons they had the past two years (which I believe is now what they call around the horns) Leavitt and McCullum were there and spoke. Actually the one in pinellas a couple years ago we had (thanks to bullsmania) Leavitt at the BullBackers table.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

I didn't go to it this year but the AA luncheons they had the past two years (which I believe is now what they call around the horns) Leavitt and McCullum were there and spoke. Actually the one in pinellas a couple years ago we had (thanks to bullsmania) Leavitt at the BullBackers table.

There is still time, the Tampa luncheon is this Thursday, June 30th at the Quorum hotel on Westshore...

Genshaft and Woolard to speak at Tampa Alumni Chapter Community Luncheon

7B20977B-08C4-4D77-A483-CD3DC96BD71D.jpg

Meet USF President Judy Genshaft and Director of Athletics Doug Woolard at the Annual Community Luncheon, hosted by the Tampa Chapter of the USF Alumni Association.

Join the expected 300 guests on June 30th at the Quorum Hotel, Tampa to get an inside view of USF’s latest gains toward becoming a top 50 research university and its move into Big East play.

“The Big East conference places USF in the national spotlight with television media coverage reaching 30% of the households in the country," said Bill Becker, incoming Tampa Chapter president. "This is a great time for USF, and the luncheon gives alumni, community leaders, faculty and staff an excellent opportunity to celebrate and network.â€Â

Registration is open to the public. Cost of the luncheon is $25 per person or $250 for a table of 10. To pre-register contact either Tyrone Gray at (813) 974-1936, email: tgray@admin.usf.edu or Merrell Dickey at (800) 299-Bull, email: MDickey@admin.usf.edu. Late registration begins at 11:00 AM, followed by lunch at 11:30.

The Quorum Hotel is located at 700 N. Westshore Boulevard, Tampa. The luncheon is presented by the St. Petersburg Times.

Click here to register for this event online!:

http://www.usfalumni.net/cgi-any/reg_event.dll/show?sitename=USFLA&template=event_main.htm&type=event_reg

Alumni Association Link:

http://www.usfalumni.net/cgi-any/newspages.dll/pages?record=613&pagegroup=main&htmlfile=newspages3_main.htm

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Steve, are you going to be on chat this Thursday? It is time to use that lawyer vested questions pointed at Tom Veit! We need you Steve. The big guns are out for this one!   Reaper

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  1,158

Our final Around the Horns event is today in Bradenton.  We are committed to continuing these events with only moderate success this year.  If you'd like see something specific, by all means we are open to suggestions and would love to have you on the volunteer committee organizing the event in your area.  Call me at (813) 974-3481.

The Florida, FSU, and Miami events are successful and we hope to make ours just as successful.  All those events are driven by the volunteers in the area putting it together.  As kdawgy and collbull said, our events are designed to get you close to our coaching staff, not to stand in line with 1,000 other people for 30 seconds and an autograph with a coach.

If you didn't make it to an Around the Horns event this year, make sure you do next year.  We hope to have next years dates scheduled prior to football season starting.  Go Bulls!

Eric

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Thanks Eric for the reply.  I think I can speak for many on this board, we appreciate your monitoring and input.  Anyway, after I read the Trib article about UF's Urban Meyer, I thought to myself, "yea, I'd really enjoy this but USF doesn't have this type of gathering w/this format."  I'm thinking more of a Fan Appreciation Day multiplied by 2 or 3 or the 'Round The Horns on steroids.  I'm not looking for "USF’s latest gains toward becoming a top 50 research university ".

About the Tampa luncheon announcement, it does not mention Leavitt and/or McCullum.  Are they speaking or not?  If not, my point is made.  If they are, why isn't it mentioned.  I'm looking for an athletics only oriented event with mostly FB seasoned with basketball, baseball and maybe the AD.  That's my preference.  BTW, I don't think a McCullum only event would be a slam dunk for me to attend like a Leavitt only event.

Hopefully, going to my first Fan Appreciation Day will scratch the itch created by seeing what the Gators HC does w/the fans.  Its my first FAD because after 4 yrs of flag & super midget football, my family will be unobligated on Saturday mornings for the first time in 5 Augusts.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

I will say, the Around the Horns was, in my opinion, marketed very well.  I saw a number of print items, emails, web postings, etc.

Doug - I think this event is exactly what you are looking for so be on the look out for next's years tour.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

Yeah, Around the Horns was advertised on the official site and on the calendar here (for each individual Around the Horns event), in addition to posts...

This is what was on the calendar at TheBullsPen.com:

Manatee/Sarasota Around the Horns

The 2005 USF “Around the Horns” Coaches Tour is coming to a location near you!

This year’s tour hits six locations throughout the state. These unique events provide USF alumni and friends a chance to spend the day with the people who lead your Bulls. We’ll begin with a kick-off reception, then travel to the locations listed below for five days of golf and dinner.

Join Football Coach Jim Leavitt, Men’s Basketball Coach Robert McCullum, Women’s Basketball Coach Jose Fernandez, Women’s Tennis Coach GiGi Fernandez and Athletic Director Doug Woolard, Partnership for Athletics President Lee Roy Selmon, and many others for the whole day, or just for dinner, and show your Bulls spirit!

More Information

The "More Information" link at the bottom of the entry was a direct link to the official site's .pdf file.

It's a **** shame we only achieved "moderate success."

This is what really fries me about USF fans.  We want everything like the Big Three have - but too many sure as hell find it hard to get out of their routine to go support it.  There is no way, something as forward looking as this Around the Horns event should not be sold out.

We are making strides in many ways including the hiring of personnel, facilities improvement and athletic accountability.  But people continue to ask for things they'd like to see.  Well if "moderate success" is any indication of people actually showing - you can just about forget more events.

I can't figure it out.  I can't understand why people don't go to these events.... As Bulls fans EVERYONE needs to put their money, action, and follow through where their mouth is.  Start showing up to what is already planned and I am sure more will be planned.

Can we get a little more enthusiasm injected into our support for the Bulls?

End of rant.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

agree 100%, hear a lot of it down here but to get people to pay and attend them is like pushing 10,000 lb rock up a hill.

As much as we dont like them i could tell you that when Meyer or Bobby come down here people trip over themselves to meet them.

We are nowhere near their level of support and passion.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

Yeah, Around the Horns was advertised on the official site and on the calendar here (for each individual Around the Horns event), in addition to posts...

This is what was on the calendar at TheBullsPen.com:

The "More Information" link at the bottom of the entry was a direct link to the official site's .pdf file.

It's a **** shame we only achieved "moderate success."

This is what really fries me about USF fans.  We want everything like the Big Three have - but too many sure as hell find it hard to get out of their routine to go support it.  There is no way, something as forward looking as this Around the Horns event should not be sold out.

We are making strides in many ways including the hiring of personnel, facilities improvement and athletic accountability.  But people continue to ask for things they'd like to see.  Well if "moderate success" is any indication of people actually showing - you can just about forget more events.

I can't figure it out.  I can't understand why people don't go to these events.... As Bulls fans EVERYONE needs to put their money, action, and follow through where their mouth is.  Start showing up to what is already planned and I am sure more will be planned.

Can we get a little more enthusiasm injected into our support for the Bulls?

End of rant.

Without a doubt, this is our biggest problem.  The apathy seen from the majority of our students spills over to their willingness to give time and money as alumni.  It really pisses me off...

USFFan

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Without a doubt, this is our biggest problem.  The apathy seen from the majority of our students spills over to their willingness to give time and money as alumni.  It really pisses me off...

USFFan

While I don't necessarily disagree with you or Brad, consider this...

First, there are only about 3,500 season ticket 'holders' out there (obviously they buy multiple tickets to get us up to the 16,000 season ticket number)... So there really isn't a HUGE outpouring of support for USF, yet.

Second, the issue is one of priorities.  Work, family, and other things take precedent for a lot of USF fans ... especially during the 'off' season.

Finally, is the university offering something that people really want? I mean, why a golf tournament/outing?  I know there were dinner-only tickets... but the event was pitched as "hey, come play golf with USF's leaders"... why golf?  Do UF, FSU, and UM play golf as part of their coaches tours? (If they do, I didn't see it).  I know we want to be different, but maybe there is a reason why they don't include golf...