• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt/McCullum Summer Tour?  Where did it go?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Trib had an article about Urban Meyer, UF FB HC and his speaking/autograph tour around Florida last month starting April 20 thru May 25.  For $35-$50, Gator fans went to a dinner/barbeque at the St. Pete Colesium, Orlando fair grounds, Sarasota Convention Ctr., fair grounds in Lake Co., in Melbourne & Tallahassee and Spring Hill.  Crowds ranged from 400-1000.

Did I miss something?  Why doesn't CJL do this?  I'd pay $35 to go to a luncheon where Coach Leavitt talked about the program and ancedotes of the past yr.  Two yrs ago I went to a luncheon where he did about 15-20 minutes with no autographs.  I know there are the $150 golf outings but I don't play golf so I consider that steep.  And I don't believe any of the USF luncheons this spring included Leavitt and McCullum wasn't a 100%  attender either.

What is the reason there are not 3-4 of these luncheons thrown by USF orgs with the AD & coaches only.  1000 people at $35 a plate equates to $35K which could be used to supplement assistant coaching salaries.

I truly enjoyed talking w/Coach McKeefrey two yrs ago and would definitely attend this type of gathering.  It seems to me that a stop in Sarasota, Pinellas, Hillsborough, and Polk or Pasco counties would generate 1800-2200 fans for a Saturday lunch/barbeque where Leavitt and McCullum give 40-50 minute speeches and maybe another hr of signatures.  BTW, I'm not a sig hound but I know its a big thing among certain crowds.

If Florida's Urban Meyer can do it while recruiting, why not Leavitt?  Going into the BE, I'd of thought this type of thing would of happened.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Sounds pretty much like the Around the Horns deal we have. At least I think that's the name of it

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

I think you overestimate our level of support if you expect us to draw a 1000 people to hear Leavitt speak at any place but the USF campus.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

The support to that is not there yet.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  869

Having been involved with the Around the Horns program in Lakeland. . .

Dinner only instead of Golf.... $30.00.

Some non golfing types did only do the dinner and the coaches and AD were accessable for autographs, photos, etc...

My golf partner and I chatted with Vicki and Coach McCullum between holes for about 5 minutes.  We were even flying the Iconic U flag off the back of the cart; hopefully we will get some of the pictures back soon.

Even though I am not much of a golfer, the experience was a very positive one.   I had heard we had around 50 folks out of a potential 90 or so spots.  

Sarasota is on Monday, June 27th ---- still time to register.   http://gobulls.usf.edu/admin/bulls_club/round_the_horns_sponsors.pdf

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

Also at the Lakeland event...good time.  Coaches were out in force.  Played golf with Coach Cardieri...what a great guy.  We brought in some "outsiders" from the community in the name of a golf tournament...great response with commitments to do the even next year.  Coach Leavitt spoke for a few minutes.  I know he won over a couple new supporters...just need to get those people to the next level.  Selmon spoke....Woolard spoke....McCollum spoke.  It was an "A" event.  Hope some who sat on the sidelines will join us next year...

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we are way behind others when it comes to marketing

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

and MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Was Leavitt at the "'Round the Horns" in Tampa?  If he was I missed it.  I believe a crowd of nearly 500-800 season ticket holders (outa 15K-16K) would show for a 2 yr luncheon/barbeque in which Leavitt talked/gave a speech for an hr and signed auto's for an hr.  Heck, there are a dozen that would consider flying into Tampa on this board and another 6-8 at USFBullseye.  I see 150-250 for the counties north, south & east of USF but I can see St. Pete w/250-500.  College football is the game of choice in FL.

I'm not talking a 5 min USF cheer and glimpse of the coach bolting through the crowd either or hand shakes and a auto-g for 15-20 mins.  I'm talking serious elbow rubbing w/the fans.  I don't need to hear about the research going on or the new academic construction at USF.  I am an alum who is a sports fan - major FB (season ticket holder & go to 1 road game a season), pretty good BB (hit 2-6 home games) and I follow baseball in the paper and make a game every other yr.

Give me a luncheon with Leavitt, McCullum, Woolard, Cardieri and Selmon and I'm there for $50 as long as I can fit it into my schedule (doesn't interfere with work meaning 8 week notice).  It appears the Gator's, Seminoles and I'm sure others to it.  I want to get that close to my passion too.  That's all I am saying.  I believe you'll get non-USF affiliated fans attached too.  Maybe I'm off on the numbers but you need to start some place for the "just want FB" crowd.