• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaches and Players After The Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, charsibb said:

Sorry, but I agree with him. Like Skip, CCS has no balls.

...and so it begins. Lmao. We should just go ahead and fire this guy now, right?? 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

11 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

you can tell charlie is conservative, defensive minded coach. they generally shy away from taking risks.personally I think you try to score with every opportunity. remember when Holtz settled for the field goal in the first half on 2nd down with 20 seconds to play from the cincy 2 yard line? I believe we lost that game by 3 .

we were at their 40 yard line I think. easy throw to make and with the size of our receivers I think you have a decent chance of getting a TD there or maybe a pass interference that puts us into FG range. smart coaches run a play there. low risk ( no way they are returning an int 100+ yards) high reward.

Trying to remember how many conference titles  ol' Willy won... I am fine with a new approach. Comparing CCS to Holtz is still a laughable concept. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SoFlo All Day said:

...and so it begins. Lmao. We should just go ahead and fire this guy now, right?? 

I know, our fan base has serious issues, one game and they are pissed we did not score 70 points. 

28 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

you can tell charlie is conservative, defensive minded coach. they generally shy away from taking risks.personally I think you try to score with every opportunity. remember when Holtz settled for the field goal in the first half on 2nd down with 20 seconds to play from the cincy 2 yard line? I believe we lost that game by 3 .

we were at their 40 yard line I think. easy throw to make and with the size of our receivers I think you have a decent chance of getting a TD there or maybe a pass interference that puts us into FG range. smart coaches run a play there. low risk ( no way they are returning an int 100+ yards) high reward.

Decent shot???? 500 to 1 at best.

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180

Whoa whoa whoa..... Strong isn't Holtz. The decision not to try to score from the opponents 40(!!!) was a Holtz like decision. The fact that we got the ball after the half should play 0 part on that decision. There is minimal risk in that situation. This is the equivalent of Holtz letting the clock run down with a timeout on 3rd down and kicking the FG instead of running a play. It was the wrong move and a mistake. In all fairness, it was a very well-coached game.. no hate for Strong. Just poor management on that particular play.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180

And from above, it wasn't a bad position. It was just outside FG range and would have been the last play of the half. You have a QB who is on every award watch list, trust him to not make a mistake. An incompletion or pick (doubting it gets returned) doesn't matter. PI is the most likely result. It's called strategy, when the '+' far outweighs the '-', you generally give it a shot.

Edited by USF Bulls Football
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

4 minutes ago, USF Bulls Football said:

Whoa whoa whoa..... Strong isn't Holtz. The decision not to try to score from the opponents 40(!!!) was a Holtz like decision. The fact that we got the ball after the half should play 0 part on that decision. There is minimal risk in that situation. This is the equivalent of Holtz letting the clock run down with a timeout on 3rd down and kicking the FG instead of running a play. It was the wrong move and a mistake. In all fairness, it was a very well-coached game.. no hate for Strong. Just poor management on that particular play.

agreed

23 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Trying to remember how many conference titles  ol' Willy won... I am fine with a new approach. Comparing CCS to Holtz is still a laughable concept. 

you're kidding me right? Willie is 40 years old. he has turned around two complete dumpster fire programs. he has been a head coach for 7 years already. his career is still on an upward trajectory. I still don't get why any USF fan would begrudge the man who completely rebuilt our program. Strong didn't get a head coaching job until he was 50. Taggart may have a national championship by then.

there is nothing wrong with charlie making a mistake. he is not infallible. it was the wrong decision. low risk high reward. not sure why people on here think he should be fitted for his hall of fame jacket already. Taggart made mistakes too. all coaches do.

no it's not the same when Holtz called a pass play inside the UF 20 with under two minutes to go in the half but it was not the right call.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, USF Bulls Football said:

And from above, it wasn't a bad position. It was just outside FG range and would have been the last play of the half. You have a QB who is on every award watch list, trust him to not make a mistake. An incompletion or pick (doubting it gets returned) doesn't matter. PI is the most likely result. It's called strategy, when the '+' far outweighs the '-', you generally give it a shot.

spot on

11 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

you're kidding me right? Willie is 40 years old. he has turned around two complete dumpster fire programs. he has been a head coach for 7 years already. his career is still on an upward trajectory. I still don't get why any USF fan would begrudge the man who completely rebuilt our program. Strong didn't get a head coaching job until he was 50. Taggart may have a national championship by then.

there is nothing wrong with charlie making a mistake. he is not infallible. it was the wrong decision. low risk high reward. not sure why people on here think he should be fitted for his hall of fame jacket already. Taggart made mistakes too. all coaches do.

no it's not the same when Holtz called a pass play inside the UF 20 with under two minutes to go in the half but it was not the right call.

Yet, when Willie made a mistake I did not see anyone comparing him to Holtz....