• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Not another one

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

UF and ASU are courting the services of Ken Eriksen to coach their respective teams. According to the Tampa Trib, AD Woolard has given permission to talk with Eriksen. In my opinion, if we lose this coach, USF will have lost a monumental icon in women's athletics. Woolard should have not given permission. Ken, just stay!    Reaper

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Reaper... why not post the story for people -- there was something else intersting in the story. Of course, some will simply say that it was Brett bashing USF again (see Red Text):

Arizona St., UF Pursue USF's Eriksen

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Jun 16, 2005

TAMPA - University of South Florida softball coach Ken Eriksen, who has guided the Bulls to the past three NCAA Tournaments, is being pursued for vacant positions at Florida and Arizona State.

UF athletic director Jeremy Foley has asked and received permission to talk with Eriksen, USF AD Doug Woolard said. Eriksen also is among a few candidates being considered at Arizona State.

``He's done a terrific job here,'' Woolard said. ``I would hope he would choose to be our softball coach for the foreseeable future. It's a compliment to our program and the job he's done that others have interest in him.''

Eriksen, 44, also was pitching coach for the 2004 U.S. Olympic gold medal team. Under the direction of Eriksen, Team USA broke four Olympic pitching records.

Eriksen, who is in California with Team USA, could not be reached for comment.

Despite recruiting players to play at one of the nation's worst facilities, Eriksen has guided USF to six NCAA Tournaments. In nine seasons, he is 415-214 and was Conference USA's 2003 Coach of the Year.

Eriksen, a 1984 USF graduate, was a USF assistant from 1985-1996.

Arizona State senior associate AD Sandy Hatfield-Clubb said she wants to hire a new coach before July 1.

``Ken's done great things at South Florida,'' Hatfield-Clubb said. ``He's also been an important part of the gold medal team and that's certainly impressive.''

Foley could not be reached for comment.

This isn't the first time schools have courted. In 2001, Eriksen turned down Tennessee.

Both UF and ASU have superior softball stadiums than USF and both jobs would pay substantially more.

However, Woolard said he doesn't believe Eriksen's decision will be based simply on financial considerations.

``Ken's very aware of our [new] league and facility commitments,'' Woolard said. ``We want him to know how much he's appreciated here.''

LINK: http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGB7FQHI0AE.html

--------------

On a side note, if Erickson can win with poor facilities, why can't Cardieri ???  Kinda makes you think that it's not the facility.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827

On a side note, if Erickson can win with poor facilities, why can't Cardieri   Kinda makes you think that it's not the facility.

Explain to me what Erickson has won that Cardieri hasn't?

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

>> AD Woolard has given permission to talk with Eriksen

WHY?????

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

On a side note, if Erickson can win with poor facilities, why can't Cardieri   Kinda makes you think that it's not the facility.

Explain to me what Erickson has won that Cardieri hasn't?

I will grant you that since 1997, EC has only had 1 losing season (and 1 .500 season)... the results that matter are NCAA appearances and overall winning percentage...

Comparing 1997-2005 - when they were both head coaches:

Eriksen: 6 NCAA appearances / 415-214 (.660)

Cardieri: 3 NCAA appearances / 283-258 (.523)

Just a note because of the earlier thread that the facilities were to blame for the lack of post-season success in the baseball program.

-----

These figures show that losing Eriksen would be a big blow to USF, significantly bigger than losing Cardieri.  (To get us back on topic).

Modified to correct typos.

Jim I would have, but I am somewhat of a non computer literate. In plain truth, I just didn't know how to. So I paraphrased it. Thank you for posting it.

Reaper

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

You might be able to win with poor facilities, but I don't believe you can sustain it, because good coaches are going to look elsewhere.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,518
  • Days Won:  10

I wonder if this will light a fire on scheduling the upgrades and, perhaps, reprioritizing what gets done when.

All I know is that if he does go, our girls softball program will go to pot! Nobody will want to come here to play, and all the top prospects will go somewhere else. It would be devistating to say the least!   Reaper

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

All I know is that if he does go, our girls softball program will go to pot! Nobody will want to come here to play, and all the top prospects will go somewhere else. It would be devistating to say the least!   Reaper

Reap...you sound a li'l like "Chicken Little".  Erickson hasn't left and give Woolard the benefit of the doubt of the new hire's capability.  Sometimes I think this board gives off the virus, "Changeisbaditis".

It is women's softball and this is Florida.  USF will be able to put a competitive team on the field.  Now consecutive NCAA appearances is another issue.