• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My Take (for what its worth)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

It was a great game first of all.  Shane looked great early on...what happened after the rain delay, I can only imagine...My take, he's pretty soft and isn't a gamer like some guys.  That is just my opinion, but after seeing him for a year, it seems he doesn't get going when the going is tough.  Whatever, prove me wrong in 2018 Shane...Bullpen did a great job.  Was I happy to see Ryan Valdes in the 3rd...hell no.  He's good, but he's not great.  He kept us in the game though.  He pitched 3 innings and gave up only one run.  In my opinion CMK left him in too long as the guy in the 6th led off with a single, but we were able to get out of it thanks to Joe C.  But Ryan Valdes is a gamer and has a ton of heart...much more than our prima donna starter has ever shown.  After that, Joe C pitched great for 3 innings.  Andrew Perez pitched great for 3 innings too.  Its a game we should have won, and normally do win.  Hitting was terrible.  The lineup wasn't very good.  CMK tried mixing things up again...didn't work.  We did everything right in this game aside from win the game.  Am I pissed, hell yes I am...Not at the team though, they did everything right.  Coaching wasn't great...and it was one of those games where coaching mattered...most of the time it doesn't matter, but tonight it did.  Advantage Kevin O'Sullivan, and we lost.  

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

I agree with everything you said.  McClanahan doesn't care about his teammates or USF at all.  Not sure why he even went to college at this point, all he sees are dollar signs but doesn't want to compete to impress anyone.  Leal batting fifth killed us last night, if Coco is hitting there we probably win.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

It does seem pretty clear that Shane's appearances are dictated by his family, doctor and "advisors" - in no particular order. I'm actually surprised he's pitching at this point of the season from things I'd heard.  If he was "tight" after the rain delay no one is going to risk him getting hurt.  Can't remember which pitcher it was for us a few of years ago but his pitch count was being dictated by family and "advisers".  It happens. We don't need to be happy about it as fans though.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

7 hours ago, JoeB said:

It was a great game first of all.  Shane looked great early on...what happened after the rain delay, I can only imagine...My take, he's pretty soft and isn't a gamer like some guys.  That is just my opinion, but after seeing him for a year, it seems he doesn't get going when the going is tough.  Whatever, prove me wrong in 2018 Shane...Bullpen did a great job.  Was I happy to see Ryan Valdes in the 3rd...hell no.  He's good, but he's not great.  He kept us in the game though.  He pitched 3 innings and gave up only one run.  In my opinion CMK left him in too long as the guy in the 6th led off with a single, but we were able to get out of it thanks to Joe C.  But Ryan Valdes is a gamer and has a ton of heart...much more than our prima donna starter has ever shown.  After that, Joe C pitched great for 3 innings.  Andrew Perez pitched great for 3 innings too.  Its a game we should have won, and normally do win.  Hitting was terrible.  The lineup wasn't very good.  CMK tried mixing things up again...didn't work.  We did everything right in this game aside from win the game.  Am I pissed, hell yes I am...Not at the team though, they did everything right.  Coaching wasn't great...and it was one of those games where coaching mattered...most of the time it doesn't matter, but tonight it did.  Advantage Kevin O'Sullivan, and we lost.  

I can think of a bunt we didn't put down. You can argue the call all day, but the failed execution cost us a run that might have been the game winner.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  336
  • Days Won:  0

The botched Safety Squeeze by Merrell was simply a horrible call. Right then, I knew USF was not ready for prime time and would blow this game.

With your best hitter up (who is very fast), you let him hit. Simply a horrible call which blew the game.

The errant pickoff throw by Perez (with Genord looking toward plate) was also so USF. Notice the Gators did not make any huge mistakes like that.

Overall, was a gallant effort by USF, but they blew it like they always seem to do in clutch games (when they had a chance to win).

The Merrell bunt call was just pathetic.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

How will next year be?? Need to win enough to host regions next season.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I'm with JTrue. More likely you execute the squeeze than hit something hard off of Faedo.

The difference in the game was UFs pitching. Faedo and Byrne were mostly untouchable.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I'm fine with the bunt call.  Bothersome was neither of our guys could execute that fundamental. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Just catching up as I missed the game due to the Jimmy Buffett concert. Sounds like I missed a heck of a game. Proud of USF today 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

13 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

Just catching up as I missed the game due to the Jimmy Buffett concert. Sounds like I missed a heck of a game. Proud of USF today 

I'd take Buffett over baseball any time.  Been 3 years since we've been.  My liver thanks me though. Those all day tailgates are rough - fun, but rough.

• Upvote 1