• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Golf: Joaquin Niemann #1 in the WORLD

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Joaco is interviewed in English after his first round at the US Amateur:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/videos/2017/08/15/170814-usam-niemann-5541271737001.html

Joaquin Niemann: Strong Start for the World's Top-Ranked Amateur

Eighteen-year-old Joaquin Niemann, of Chile, is the No. 1 player in the World Amateur Golf Ranking, and played like it in the first round of the U.S. Amateur Championship at Riviera Country Club.

Joaco started off the second round badly, but has since rallied with 3 birdies and an eagle to  get to -4 (T4) after 10 holes.

McNealy is +1 (T43).

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2017/u-s--amateur/scoring.html

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

Joaco started off the second round badly, but has since rallied with 3 birdies and an eagle to  get to -4 (T4) after 10 holes.

McNealy is +1 (T43).

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2017/u-s--amateur/scoring.html

Joaco finished the day with a round of 69 (-1) to get to -3 for the tourney (T7). McNealy shot a 67 (-3) to get to -1 (T20) for the tourney.

U.S. AMATEUR CHAMPIONSHIP

August 15, 2017

Joaquin Niemann

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

Q. Happy with where you stand now going into match play?
JOAQUIN NIEMANN: Yeah, I'm really happy today. I played really good golf. The first hole wasn't so good, but then I bring it back and enjoy the day.

Q. Tell me about the eagle at 1.
JOAQUIN NIEMANN: Yeah, so I was -- I made double No. 14 after bogey on 13, so was 3-over and was like, Oy, I got to make a couple birdies. (Laughter.)

I birdied the next win after the par-5 and make a lot of birdies since there. Eagle No. 1. So that was a really good moment on the round.

Q. What did you hit into No. 1?
JOAQUIN NIEMANN: No. 1 I hit driver to the middle and then I hit a 9-iron to like four, five feet maybe.

Yeah, made the putter.

Q. Is there a sense of relief for you that you're now into match play?
JOAQUIN NIEMANN: Yeah. I mean, I like playing golf, so I don't feel like -- I mean, if I play good golf there are many, many days to play, so let's see if I can do it until Sunday.

Try to enjoy as much as I can for these days.

Q. You've been in match play at USGA events before.
JOAQUIN NIEMANN: Yes.

Q. For you, what's the difference between stroke play and match play?
JOAQUIN NIEMANN: Yeah, stroke play is like you have to concentrate more like in your game just shot by shot.

And match play is also the same, but you got to like have a strategy and depends of how the other one is doing.

So some things could change. Maybe they're going to be -- it's going to be fun.

Q. How does your game set up with Riviera?
JOAQUIN NIEMANN: I think I feel better in Riviera than this course. Yeah, I feel good. Just need to make a couple putters and I think I'm going to be all right.

https://t.co/pUkq9N6kPB

Perhaps Joaco has now decided to enroll at USF this fall. I suppose we will find out soon enough. 

U.S. AMATEUR

Evening Report: Round 2AUGUST 15, 2017 | PACIFIC PALISADES, CALIF.By Greg Midland and Ron Driscoll, USGA

World No. 1 Niemann Shows His Mettle

Joaquin Niemann, of Chile, is No. 1 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking, thanks to hours honing his swing on the practice tee in his home city of Santiago. On Tuesday at Bel-Air, he showed another facet of his game: patience.

Niemann had just bogeyed the par-3 13th and double-bogeyed the par-5 14th hole at Bel-Air, his fourth and fifth holes of the day, which put him at a cumulative 1 over par. “I was just trying to think about the moment, about playing these two beautiful courses,” said Niemann, who will enroll at the University of South Florida in the fall.

Niemann reversed his fortunes quickly, rolling in a nearly 60-foot putt on his next hole, the difficult par-4 15th, then added birdies on Nos. 17 and 18 and an eagle on the par-5 first hole, hitting driver, 9-iron to 5 feet. “In five holes, I went from 3 over to 2 under and I said, whoa, that was quick. I’m getting better in that part of my game, just thinking about the present.”

He finished the day at 3-under 137, tied for sixth as the afternoon wave was completing play.  As it turned out, thinking about the present brought match play very clearly into Niemann’s immediate future.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2017/u-s--amateur/articles/evening-report--round-2.html

A 13-for-8 playoff for the last #USAmateur match-play spots starts at 7:30 a.m. PDT Wednesday. 

Joaco will play one of those 8 players who qualify for match-play at 1:10 p.m PDT.

https://t.co/IlFXs8hl8M

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Joaquin is a shark with sharp teeth playing at the highest levels of competitive golf. It will be nice seeing him bust things up as a Bull.

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

A 13-for-8 playoff for the last #USAmateur match-play spots starts at 7:30 a.m. PDT Wednesday. 

Joaco will play one of those 8 players who qualify for match-play at 1:10 p.m PDT.

https://t.co/IlFXs8hl8M

Joaco is the #6 seed in the round of 64 for matchplay.

3 hours ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

Joaco is the #6 seed in the round of 64 for matchplay.

It's Déjà vu.

Joaco will once again be paired with NCAA Champion WAGR #3 Braden Thornberry!

WAGR #2 Maverick McNealy also has a tough draw against WAGR #12 Connor Syme.

If McNealy loses his first match then Joaco will win the McCormack Medal.   

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2017/u-s--amateur/starting-times.html

In the new WAGR released today, #1 Joaco has a 28.6 point lead over #2 McNealy.

http://www.wagr.com/en/Mens-Ranking.aspx

Edited by Mama_Bull

As the new poster from Chile explained earlier in the thread, the formula for calculating the WAGR is fairly complex. 

It is still possible for McNealy to overtake Joaco for #1WAGR  at the conclusion of the US Amateur.

For that to happen, I would estimate that McNealy would need a top 5 finish and Joaco would need to lose his first match. If Joaco wins his first match, then McNealy would probably need a top 4 finish, and so on. 

Edited by Mama_Bull