• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Golf: Joaquin Niemann #1 in the WORLD

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

6 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Oh, I'm not criticizing.  Google does a fine job and it is quick.  I just thought a few of the sentences were funny, that's all. :D

Actually, I did change some of the translation, before pasting it here, because it was a bit too funny. LOL

After two rounds, Joaco is -6 which is currently T9. There are still some players who have not yet finished.

https://ilpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/ilpga17/event/ilpga1771/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

The field will now be cut down to 44 players for the next two rounds. It will then be cut to the top 16 players for match play.

I'm surprised at the number of top ranked amateurs who failed to make the first cut, but it is a very talented field.

As far as how WAGR points are distributed for this event, last year players in the top 44 received from 8 - 17 points depending on their ultimate finish.

Since Joaco is currently 30 points ahead of McNealy, he could increase that to over 40 points next week. In addition, it appears, McNeally will lose almost 13 points which he earned on this same week number in 2015. So, Joaco may very well end up with a 50+ point lead.

If neither player enters any additional WAGR counting events before the US Amateur, then McNealy could not earn enough points in that event alone to overtake him for WAGR #1 and Joaco would win the Mark McCormack Medal and gain entry into the 2018 US Open and the 2018 OPEN Championship, provided he remains an amateur.

If that happens, I doubt that JOACO would turn pro and forfeit playing in those important tournaments.

It would make much more sense for him  to enroll at USF in January 2018 and play in those PGA Majors, before even entertaining the possibility of giving up his amateur status and leaving school.

So, I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will be playing golf at USF for at least the Spring semester. 

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

At the conclusion of round 2 Joaco is T7 and 6 strokes back from the leader.

https://ilpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/ilpga17/event/ilpga1771/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

15 minutes ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

At the conclusion of round 2 Joaco is T7 and 6 strokes back from the leader.

The main thing is to advance to the final 16. At that point, it's just about seeding for match play.

Last year, Joaco was seeded #16 and played #1, where he lost in 19 holes.

The #1 seed eventually lost in the finals to a guy who finished in the same position as Joaco 12 - 17.

12 - 17 played off and incoming USF golfer Won Jun Lee was the odd man left out of match play. 

In the third round, Joaco is -3 thru 12 holes and is currently T4 (-9).

Edited by Mama_Bull

After three rounds, Joaco is -8 which is currently T7.

Some players have not finished the 3rd round, while others already have started the 4th round.

There was a long rain delay in the 4th round.

Joaco just finished and is T15 (-8).

So, it looks like a repeat from last year, where Joaco will have to survive a playoff to see if he makes it into the top 16 for match play. Right now, there are three players tied at 15 (-8) and if it ends up like that, they will be playing off for two spots.

It would be nice for Joaco to play in the top 16 again, but as far as WAGR points are concerned it's not that big of a deal if he doesn't.

He has already earned about 10 points for this event. The winner will get roughly 17 points, so there really isn't much of a difference. He already has a substantial 30 point lead over #2 Maverick McNealy.

Edited by Mama_Bull

The 4th round is complete.

Joaco finished T14 with three other players.

I presume the four of them will have to play off tomorrow morning for the last three spots.

Retweet

We will have a playoff tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. CT to decide who claims the final three spots in match play in the 115th #WesternAmateur.

Retweet

Edited by Mama_Bull

Three of the players in the play off are in the WAGR top 50:

T14    Joaquin Niemann  Santiago, Chile WAGR #1

T14    Dawson Armstrong  Brentwood, TN WAGR #15

T14    MIn Woo Lee   Perth, Australia WAGR #44      

T14    Mason Overstreet  Kingfisher, OK WAGR #399