• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

7 minutes ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

The back nine continues to give the Bulls problems. With most of our guys through holes 14-16 so far, there has been 1 Eagle, 1 Birdie, 7 Bogies, 1 Double, 1 Triple, and 1 +6. Giving the Bulls an ugly +10 for the day in the early goings.

Very disappointing regional for the team.

So far, only Correa has shown up to play.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

Very surprised at the showing so far. They looked great in the AAC championship on a very tough course.

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Very surprised at the showing so far. They looked great in the AAC championship on a very tough course.

Meanwhile, both Houston and UCF who we defeated, by 15 and 20 strokes, are doing well in their regionals.

I knew it was going to be tough for USF to advance out of this regional, but thought they could contend for a spot.

Sr Rigel Fernandes is the biggest disappointment.

We have two world class players coming in and they will certainly challenge for a starting spot.

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

+22 (+36 for the entire tourney) As a team heading to the back 9 (really front 9). As it stands USF is currently 13th out of 14 teams, with only Alabama St behind them at a whopping +70. Absolutely pathetic performance. For the second consecutive day, our #1 player DiMarco shoots an abysmal +7 on the back nine. Singh has been playing fairly consistent like Correa, but is still +7 for the tourney.

20 minutes ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

+22 (+36 for the entire tourney) As a team heading to the back 9 (really front 9). As it stands USF is currently 13th out of 14 teams, with only Alabama St behind them at a whopping +70. Absolutely pathetic performance. For the second consecutive day, our #1 player DiMarco shoots an abysmal +7 on the back nine. Singh has been playing fairly consistent like Correa, but is still +7 for the tourney.

I think the team already gave up before they even teed off today.

BTW, this was a tournament held in March on the same course over just two rounds.

It is undoubtedly difficult.

TIGER CLASSIC – FINAL RESULTS
TEAM SCORES (Par 576)

1. LSU 295-287 – 582 +6;

T2. Arkansas 299-298 – 597 +21;

T2. Southeastern Louisiana 293-304 – 597 +21;

4. Texas A&M 303-299 – 602 +26;

5. McNeese State 306-307 – 613 +37;

6. New Orleans 326-332 – 658 +82;

7. Centenary 354-364 – 718 +142.

Edited by Mama_Bull

You know the team is having a bad day, when the guy who shoots an ELEVEN on a hole has the LOW round. :facepalm:

Jimmy Jones (4)

Quotables

Head coach Steve Bradley on the team's performance in the second round:

“It was a pretty frustrating day. We didn't get off to a very good start. I kind of felt that getting off the backside, which is the more difficult of the nines, if we could get out of there early before the wind really blew, did something positive and then turn to the front, which we played pretty solid yesterday, I thought we could have had a pretty good day. We got off to a rough start. I don't know if it was nerves or if they tried to do too much too early. This golf course penalizes you. You get behind and it forces you to make some poor decisions mentally. Combine that with poor execution and it just kind of snowballs out of control.”

Bradley on Jimmy Jones' impressive finish after a rough start on the back nine, particularly on No. 11:

“Jimmy kind of had a little, strange hole, probably the worst hole he's ever had in playing golf. Sometimes that happens and you learn a lot about somebody when they face adversity like that and how they respond… He shot 3-under on his final nine holes, which was the front nine out here. It speaks to his character, battling even when the team is out of it right now. It shows his pride and I was really proud of him for that effort.”

Bradley on Priyanshu Singh:

“Pri, he's played solid. He was playing solid leading into it. I know he's not happy with his round, and quite frankly I don't think anybody is. He tries, he's solid on every golf shot. He ran into a little bit of trouble finishing the back nine, but he's a good kid. He tries hard and hopefully he comes out tomorrow and plays another solid round.”

Bradley's thoughts heading into the final round:

“It's going to be the last round of the year. You can sulk and feel bad about where we stand right now with the season ending, or you can show some pride and do something about it. Every shot counts, whether you finish 11th or ninth, you'd much rather finish ninth. It's certainly not what we wanted to finish the year on, but tomorrow is going to be about pride and seeing what these guys are made of. Hopefully they can end the year on a positive note and head into the summer knowing they tried their best in their last college round of the year.”

Read more at:  http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=211597722#.WRtxYdEf0fs.twitter

USF saved its best round for last (+7 295). They moved up two places to T10 with Iowa (+49 913). I'm proud that the team didn't quit.

They, apparently, could have benefitted with some more practice rounds on the course. I don't know when USF and the other teams arrived.

Seeing the scores from the other regionals, this one appeared to be the toughest. No team was under par and the scores were spread considerably higher for the entire field.

Jacksonville and Northwestern tied for 5th at +19 and will need to playoff for the final berth. Kentucky finished one shot behind them.

Tiebreaker for the 5th qualifying spot is a sudden-death playoff between the 2 teams starting in 2 groups of 5 players at hole No. 18. Both teams will play sudden death stroke play 5-count-4 until a winner is determined.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=12647 

Only UCF from the AAC advanced to the NCAA finals. Overall, that probably was the easiest regional.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=12648

Edited by Mama_Bull

Congrats to Jacksonville for winning their playoff with NW and earning a trip to the NCAA Finals.

LSU, Duke, Oregon and Virginia are in as the first four teams to advance to the national championships. Jacksonville and Northwestern are in a playoff for the final spot. Par 4 18th -- Both teams counting 4 of 5 go +2. Playoff moved to Par 4 10th. First wave for Jacksonville gets 4-4-3 for its 5 to 3 players to 4-5 for Northwestern's 5-4 players. In the second group, Northwestern has a drive go OB. Jacksonville's 1-2 players both par to finish as a team -1. Northwestern's final three players do not record a score (at their choice) and Jacksonville wins the final NCAA spot.

BULLS FINISH STRONG AT BATON ROUGE REGIONAL

May 17, 2017 
By  USF

TEAM SCORES

PLAYER SCORES

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

BATON ROUGE, La., MAY 17, 2017 – Head coach Steve Bradley was looking to see what USF was made of after two tough rounds and the Bulls responded with their best performance of the Baton Rouge Regional.

USF shot 7-over as a team – seven strokes better than its opening round – and jumped up two spots to a tie for 10th place in the season finale at LSU's University Club (par 72, 7,324 yards). Bradley's Bulls tied for the fifth-best score of the day among the 14 talented teams in the field.

No. 6 LSU won the tournament at 2-over and was followed in the top five by No. 19 Duke (+10), No. 7 Oregon (+15), No. 18 Virginia (+17) and  No. 42 Jacksonville (+19), which edged Northwestern in a playoff for the final advancing spot.

Jimmy Jones posted his team-leading sixth top-25 finish of the season by tying for 24th place at 8-over. The junior from Tampa carded his top round of the tournament with a 1-under 71 that included five birdies.

Junior Priyanshu Singh (Delhi, India) carded his second 75 of the tournament and tied for 44th place at 12-over. Senior Rigel Fernandes (Bradenton, Fla.) finished off his ultra-productive collegiate career with a 73 that moved him up eight spots to a tie for 51st place at 15-over.

Junior Claudio Correa (Santiago, Chile) also tied for 51st place after shooting a 76 that included three birdies. Junior Cristian DiMarco (Longwood, Fla.) finished with a 76, his best round of the tournament, and placed 61st at 19-over.

Notables

- USF was looking to book a trip to the final rounds of the NCAA Championship for the third consecutive season. The Bulls made their fifth consecutive NCAA Regional appearance.

- No team shot under par for the second straight day after the field had to deal with high wind gusts throughout the round.

- Jimmy Jones shot par or better on 45 of 54 holes, leading the team with 34 pars and 11 birdies.

Quotables

RQGKVJZNFDISPSG.20170517222322.jpg

Head coach Steve Bradley on the Bulls responding with their best round of the tournament:

“I think it went really well.  That wind was blowing on our front side, which is the back nine out here, and we did not play that side particularly well the first two days. I think we shot 6-over today and that even included a double and a triple. But they made some birdies, they dug in and it showed they've got a lot of pride. They wanted to go out on the right note and played solid on that nine. Then we turned to the front, kind of rallied the troops and made some birdies. I was proud of their effort today, it was a good way to finish.”

Bradley on the way the team handled adversity throughout the season:

“It's been an unusual season for us, mostly off the golf course. Some of the guys have dealt with some things that you wouldn't want any 20, 21-year-old to deal with. The way they've handled themselves, the way they've conducted themselves for our golf team, for our university, for our athletic department, as a coach it makes me extremely proud. I certainly would have hoped they would have finished on a little better golf note, but at the end of the day they're still young men and they've got a bright future ahead of them. I'm really looking forward to next year already.”

Bradley on Jimmy Jones' performance:

“It was really good, especially after the way he made an 11 on a hole yesterday to bounce back and play well after that. Today, he made a triple bogey and still finished under par. He had 10 holes to go after his triple and really played pretty solid. He's got the firepower. For him, it's about confidence and keeping his emotions in check. For him to overcome what he overcame this year and just be part of this team, it's made everybody a better person at the end of the day, including myself as a coach.”

Bradley on senior Rigel Fernandes and what he's meant to the program:

“Rigel is just an incredible young man. He embodies what you want to coach, as far as a team player, as far as a guy that works hard. He tries to do the right things off the golf course, as well as on the golf course. He's just mature beyond his years and he's an awesome kid. We're certainly going to miss him and what he's brought to the table for our golf program. He's left it in a better place than what it was when he got here. He's got a bright future ahead of him and he's somebody that I'm always going to keep in touch with and root for the best because he's just a great kid.”

Team, Player Scores

T10

South Florida

T24

Jimmy Jones (4)

T44

Priyanshu Singh (5)

T51

Rigel Fernandes (2)

T51

Claudio Correa (3)

Cristian DiMarco (1)

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=211597968#.WRzRcBfH5Dg.twitter