• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,354
  • Days Won:  43

22 minutes ago, Brad said:

Former Bulls QB Marquel Blackwell is the RB coach at Toledo,

He is moving a long and building a good resume. In time, USF will have a former player as head coach. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

Hooray for King. And us.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

I would imagine Gilberts role as "QB Coach" has more to do with the mental side of running this offense regarding reads, protections, audibles etc. King will likely still play a large role in working with QF in terms of physical fundamentals. RB coach is generally regarded as the easier of the position coaches, leaving him plenty of time pre/post practice to work with QF while installing the run game. 

Keeping King was huge for various reasons, but for me the biggest thing outside of what's already been mentioned is having a guy that's well respected with a high football IQ who watched this offense ran effectively this season. I'd imagine Gilbert will be bouncing ideas off him about what worked and didn't work last year. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

I would imagine Gilberts role as "QB Coach" has more to do with the mental side of running this offense regarding reads, protections, audibles etc. King will likely still play a large role in working with QF in terms of physical fundamentals. RB coach is generally regarded as the easier of the position coaches, leaving him plenty of time pre/post practice to work with QF while installing the run game. 

Keeping King was huge for various reasons, but for me the biggest thing outside of what's already been mentioned is having a guy that's well respected with a high football IQ who watched this offense ran effectively this season. I'd imagine Gilbert will be bouncing ideas off him about what worked and didn't work last year. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of these coaching assignments are ways to keep them on staff. Reaves bounced around from QB coach to TE coach to make room for King, but he still worked with the QBs in meetings and such. Gilbert is QB coach by name, but I bet King will still work with that group and the RBs. What's great is so far, at least it appears, Strong has filled his staff with either guys he is familiar with or good recruiters. Jimmies and joes people, jimmies and joes. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Ionbull said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of these coaching assignments are ways to keep them on staff. Reaves bounced around from QB coach to TE coach to make room for King, but he still worked with the QBs in meetings and such. Gilbert is QB coach by name, but I bet King will still work with that group and the RBs. What's great is so far, at least it appears, Strong has filled his staff with either guys he is familiar with or good recruiters. Jimmies and joes people, jimmies and joes. 

For the most part, that's pretty accurate. They still have to be able to recognize and develop talent as they generally determine the 2-deep for each position group. Depending on the HC background,  you will usually see one side of the ball made up of coaches specialized in recruiting due to pride and time limitations (recruiting and developing younger players vs creating a game plan). With that said, there still needs to be a sense of organization so I wouldn't expect King to be bouncing back and forth between RBs during practice too much. More so pre/post practice while being with Gilbert in meetings