• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

16 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

To an extent yes, but, he can also sit at home doing nothing and they have to pay him. Even under a back-loaded contract, they get out of some of that liability. Again, he could just say... you know what... I will take 2 years off and Texas has to pay him every dime. Anyone hiring Strong is a favor to them.

Has to make an effort to find employment 

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

Read the termination without cause portion of the contract. Nothing says UT can force him to take a job, force him to make $xx, or take away buyout under any circumstances. The *only* thing they could say is he is violating this phrase... "coach acknowledges that he will minimize the payments due to him...".

So, they could say that a back-loaded deal is not in good faith. Still, it would be hard to argue a 4 year deal with steps in pay... year 1 - $1M, year 2 - $1.5M, year 3 - $2.25M, year 4 - $3.5M or something like this... It's still roughly $2M per year for us, which we need to pony up for a good coach, is defensible with them, and everyone wins. Nothing says that he has to take the highest offer either, so, as long as he is diligently seeking employment, he's good.

... which brings up a potential issue... what if he wants to sit out a year, but, he's interviewing to prove that he is trying to "minimize the payments", but, couldn't find anything that felt like the right fit...

"Coach agrees to make every reasonable effort to obtain other employment as long as the university has an obligation to make payments".  

If Charlie tries to sit it out for two years Texas can fight paying him.  

I hope USF is not just a "Reasonable attempt to obtain other employment"  

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,461

Clearly UT would be arguing this clause, and it is probably mucking things up...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433

2 minutes ago, TheBullies said:

Simple, HE isn't minimizing the payments... USF is.

But does he have a responsibility to negotiate the highest salary he can? I think he does, but that's hard to quantify or prove. Maybe Texas sent a chaperone along and said, "Hey Charlie, you make whatever deal you see fit, but if our guy isn't satisfied with the deal, we may have to take this to court and hold our payments to you until a judge decides if you really fulfilled your obligation to us."

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  3

13 minutes ago, E.T. said:

Image result for charlie strong eating

My source is telling me that those are the terms he just agreed to for being the HC at USF.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558

1 minute ago, thatboykane said:

My source is telling me that those are the terms he just agreed to for being the HC at USF.

Sounds similar 

1 minute ago, RaisingFenix said:

But does he have a responsibility to negotiate the highest salary he can? I think he does, but that's hard to quantify or prove. Maybe Texas sent a chaperone along and said, "Hey Charlie, you make whatever deal you see fit, but if our guy isn't satisfied with the deal, we may have to take this to court and hold our payments to you until a judge decides if you really fulfilled your obligation to us."

They would probably argue that... but if I'm a potential employer and I say this is your offer... and he can't control that aspect of things, even if the offer is in his favor (backloaded). But yes, I think you're on the right track.

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495

1 minute ago, RaisingFenix said:

Bingo

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

If he owns a house in Lakeland where was he flying in from? Lakeland to Tampa seems like a wasted airport trip. 

Sorry out of the loop

The threat of litigation and deep pockets to fund the litigation is real.