• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brent Schaeffer and OC hire updates

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Ex-Vols QB Puts USF On List To Consider

A Tribune staff, wire report

Published: May 13, 2005

TAMPA - Former Tennessee quarterback Brent Schaeffer sent his release to South Florida along with several other schools where Schaeffer is considering to transfer.

A Tennessee official said Thursday that Schaeffer's release was sent ``to about 10 schools.'' His mother, Chandra Schaeffer, confirmed USF, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Texas A&M, Clemson and Miami (Ohio) had been sent a release.

She also said UCF received a release even though her son and UT coach Phil Fulmer agreed Schaeffer may not transfer to another Southeastern Conference school or a school the Vols play during his remaining eligibility. UCF visits UT in 2007, which would be his junior season.

Last fall, Schaeffer became the first true freshman to start at quarterback in an SEC opener since 1945. He must sit out the 2005 season and would have three years of eligibility remaining.

``It's still early in the process,'' Chandra Schaeffer said. ``I want him to take his time so he doesn't make the same mistake. I think we have a better insight of how this all works.''

Chandra Schaeffer said her son will visit some - but not all - of the schools he is considering. He visited USF as a senior at Deerfield Beach, and she said he will not visit again.

Brett McMurphy

I think this bodes well for us since he seemed to be so high on us and with our current QB situation.

Couldn't the current qb situation, as of this fall, also be a detriment in this situation? It already was to the Reaves case, for whatever that was worth .....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

If he comes is great if he doesnt come doesnt bother me, our QB situation has been greatly upgraded by Grothe,Hill and Denson. Schaeffer would be adding another insurance chip that one will have a breakout career at USF.

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

I think he will go to Miami, remember they have a need for QBs , and they are of course Miami...

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I think he will go to Miami, remember they have a need for QBs , and they are of course Miami...

He didn't send his release to that Miami.  It was Miami of Ohio.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

He didn't send his release to that Miami.  It was Miami of Ohio.

Greg's article indicated he did send to UM also ......

Ex-Tennessee QB starts looking for new school

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published May 13, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The recruitment of quarterback Brent Schaeffer has begun again.

Schaeffer returned home to Deerfield Beach on Thursday after finishing the spring semester at Tennessee.

Schaeffer plans to transfer, and his mother, Chandra, said he has sent release forms to eight schools, including USF, Central Florida and Miami.

Schaeffer, who will have three seasons of eligibility left after sitting out this fall, considered USF out of high school, and his high school coach, Joe Redmond, has said the Bulls still have interest.

Schaeffer also has sent release papers to Clemson, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Texas A&M and Miami (Ohio).

One of the nation's top recruits, Schaeffer was suspended by Tennessee last month after an arrest for misdemeanor assault.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/13/Sports/Ex_Tennessee_QB_start.shtml

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

my early bet is UM

very close to home and they def need a qb

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I stand corrected

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

But is Miami even interested in him?  Last year in recruiting was a fluke for them with the QB situation, they can land a top ranked QB practically every year.  They are not in the same situation us, they dont need to gamble on a transfer with a history of problems.  They can just sign a top 10 nationally ranked prospect and build around him, we don't have that luxury.  I don't see him going to Miami.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Actually Miami is thin at QB right now.  A kid that starts at and SEC top school would be welcomed by Miami.  They already did it with UF.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i say ftu/ou/oc