• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brent Schaeffer and OC hire updates

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/11645087.htm

Ousted Vols QB considers Tigers

By JON SOLOMON

Staff Writer

Clemson is one of eight schools that former Tennessee quarterback Brent Schaeffer is considering transferring to, according to two Florida newspapers.

Schaeffer’s mother, Chandra, told the St. Petersburg Times and Tampa Tribune this week that her son sent his release forms to Clemson, Central Florida, Miami, South Florida, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Texas A&M and Miami (Ohio).

Through a spokesperson, Clemson coach Tommy Bowden declined to comment. Sports information director Tim Bourret said Clemson is not permitted to discuss transfers unless they sign with the school.

Schaeffer was suspended at Tennessee in April following a misdemeanor assault charge, which stemmed from an altercation in a dorm. He must sit out 2005 and has three years of eligibility left.

Last season Schaeffer became the first true freshman quarterback to start an SEC opener since 1945. He was a co-starter with freshman Erik Ainge until Schaeffer broke his collarbone at South Carolina in October and missed the rest of the season.

Schaeffer, a 6-foot-2, 195-pound southpaw, completed 18 of 37 passes for 302 yards and two touchdowns in 2004. He was competing with Rick Clausen and Ainge for the starting position this spring until the suspension.

Schaeffer and Tennessee wide receiver Bret Smith were suspended indefinitely after a fight April 10. Schaeffer is accused of hitting a Tennessee student in the neck and throwing him to the floor after the student was involved in an argument with Schaeffer’s girlfriend.

Chandra Schaeffer told the Tampa Tribune that her son and Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer agreed Schaeffer could not transfer to another SEC school or a team the Volunteers play during his remaining eligibility.

Central Florida is scheduled to play at Tennessee in 2007, when Schaeffer would be a junior.

Central Florida coach George O’Leary confirmed to the Orlando Sentinel that he received Schaeffer’s release, but he has not talked with the quarterback yet. Schaeffer is from Florida.

Chandra Schaeffer told the Tampa Tribune her son will visit some, but not all, of the schools where he sent release papers. Fulmer has said Schaeffer will be looking for a school “where he will be the guy.â€Â

Clemson has three quarterbacks on scholarship for 2006. Will Proctor will be a redshirt senior in ’06, and Tribble Reese and Cullen Harper will be redshirt sophomores.

Reach Solomon at (864) 224-9778 or at solomonjt2003@yahoo.com.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Schaeffer narrows down transfer list

By Jimmy Hyams

May 17, 2005

Former Tennessee quarterback Brent Schaeffer has sought a release to 10 schools, three in his home state of Florida.

Schaeffer, a rising sophomore from Deerfield Beach, Fla., has listed Miami, Central Florida and South Florida as possible destinations. He also has Miami (Ohio), Texas, Texas A&M, North Carolina, Clemson, Pittsburgh and Maryland on his wish list.

Schaeffer has eliminated Kansas and Tennessee Tech.

Tennessee would not release Schaeffer to N.C. State because the Vols play the Wolfpack in 2008. UT is scheduled to play Central Florida in 2007, but that could change. If it does, UT would release the mobile freshman to Central Florida.

Schaeffer is academically eligible to transfer to a Division 1-A school, sit out a year, then play in 2006. He has three years of eligibility remaining.  

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=41510

Pitt's QB depth now in doubt

Sophomore Flacco considering transfer

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pitt sophomore quarterback Joe Flacco, the backup to starter Tyler Palko, is contemplating a transfer.

Flacco did not return to Pitt for the beginning of the first summer semester last week and is at home in New Jersey thinking about his future. The football team is currently going through voluntary workouts on campus and Flacco is under no obligation to participate.

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt spoke with Flacco twice by phone yesterday and was confident Flacco would return to the team. Wannstedt leaves today for the Philadelphia area, where he will take part in a couple of alumni functions and coaching clinics. He is expected to meet with Flacco and his parents near Flacco's Audubon, N.J. home later in the week.

If Flacco wants to transfer to another school, Wannstedt would have to release him from his scholarship.

Flacco could not be reached for comment.

Flacco, 6 feet 6 and 220 pounds, played sparingly as Palko's backup last season. He was 1 for 4 for 11 yards in three games, but he is the most experienced reserve at a thin position.

After Palko and Flacco, the only other scholarship quarterbacks are true freshmen: Seton-LaSalle's Bill Stull and Central Catholic Shane Murray. Sophomore Darrell Strong came to Pitt as a quarterback, but switched to tight end last season.

Wannstedt and offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh are making it clear that they want Flacco back in the fold.

"We are aware that Joe is considering a possible transfer, but we certainly want him back," Cavanaugh said in a statement released through the athletic department. "We've had open communication and conveyed that to him. He had a great spring. We aren't setting any timetable. Since it's summer, it is not mandatory that he be on campus, but we've told him that we want him back."

According to a report in the Tennessean, former Tennessee quarterback Brent Schaeffer, a part-time starter as a freshman at Tennessee last season, is considering Pitt among other schools after leaving Tennessee last month. Schaeffer, who is from Deerfield Beach, Fla., left the Volunteers after an altercation in a dormitory led to a "mutual agreement" to part ways. Pitt is one of at least three schools that called Tennessee and asked for permission to contact Schaeffer.

Schaeffer could not be reached for comment last night.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05137/505548.stm

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this will not be a happy ending for him

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

If he wanted to be the man what better opportunity was there than USF when he came out of highschool.

don't get me wrong TENN was the better opportunity... but he would have been the man here possibly all four years.

he went for the gold and now is paying for it.

the # 1 goal for any kid is PT so they can showcase what they can do to get to the next level. that security is what he passed up by not coming here.

BS you snooze you lose! the landscape always changes...true at TENN and USF.

hope you come here...good luck if you don't better luck if you do!

• Former Deerfield Beach High QB Brent Schaeffer, transferring from Tennessee, listed UM among 10 schools he's seeking his release to. But we hear UM doesn't have much interest.

Schaeffer, ineligible to play until 2006, also listed Central Florida, South Florida, Miami (Ohio), Texas, Texas A&M, North Carolina, Clemson, Pittsburgh and Maryland. His mother, Chandra Schaeffer, said UT ''caught him on the spot'' when they asked for a list. ''When he was coming out of high school, UM . . . was recruiting him as an athlete as opposed to a quarterback,'' she said.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/11673864.htm

From the Pitt board:

Delpanther

user profile

Post #1301 Wann said tonight in Philly on Schaeffer(ex VOLUNTEER) Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tranferring to Pitt that while Pitt is interested, he believes he's likely to end up at the school that was among his favorites out of HS. Wann said that he's likely to have developed some relationships at the time of his initial recruitment that would determine where he transfers to. He also said he doesn't know what Flacco will do and that Flacco's current flirtation with transferring didn't just begin recently.

Posted on 5/18 9:29 PM | IP: 69.244.125.248

Perhaps he is right, but we didn't have Denson, Grothe and Hill back then:

USF impresses star QB Schaeffer

By Brent Schaeffer

Special Correspondent

Posted January 15 2004

This recruiting season, Deerfield Beach's star quarterback, Brent Schaeffer, will be providing first-person accounts from his official visits to five schools that top his list, leading up to National Signing Day on Feb. 4. These reflections will run on the Thursday after each visit. On Jan. 9, Schaeffer visited the University of South Florida.

In the process of narrowing my list to five schools, I tried to pick schools that I would be most comfortable at on and off the field.

When most people look at the list of schools I'm visiting and see South Florida, they might think it's a typo.

I have been told South Florida shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with schools such as Tennessee, Auburn, Kansas State and N.C. State.

I think USF is just a few ingredients away from being as prestigious as the other big-name schools. A year ago, I didn't even know where South Florida was. Now I am considering going there. They are one of the fastest-growing programs in the country, and in just a matter of time I think they will be in the hunt for a national championship with the right talent.

Other highly recruited players from Florida are starting to think so, too.

This past weekend was USF's biggest recruiting weekend ever. Some of the best players from the state joined me on this visit, and they're ones who are considering big schools like UF, FSU and UM.

South Florida's (eventual) move to the Big East is probably the main reason that it is getting these big recruits. That move will get them on TV more and give them a chance at a BCS bowl and a national championship.

A lot of people are skeptical about the Big East because three good teams left for the ACC. That might be an upside, though. Teams in conferences like the ACC and SEC beat up on each other every week and are tired by the end of the season when national championship time comes around.

When I visited South Florida, my host the first day was former USF quarterback Marquel Blackwell. He signed with the Jets earlier this year.

He was very successful during his four-year career at South Florida, and many people believe he set the foundation for USF football. He put them where they are now, and they are looking for the same type of quarterback to lead them to a national title.

He explained that there will be competition anywhere you go, but the difference is that there are favorites. Schools have their list of players they want most, and just like me, he was No. 1 on South Florida's list.

If two quarterbacks come to a school, the one the school really wanted is probably going to have the edge. I got a taste of that when I went to the California-Florida Bowl. The coaches were from North Florida and they had their favorites from day one.

The second day at USF, I was with two hosts. They took me around Tampa and showed me everything. I had a good time, especially because I was with my teammate, defensive lineman Emmanuel Dunbar.

The Bulls are going into the Big East with style because they are almost done building a $30 million football facility. We went inside even though it is under construction. I like the home field at Raymond James Stadium, which they share with the Bucs.

My family would see me play in that stadium a lot because Tampa is only about a three-hour drive. That is another thing on my mind; I'd like to be able to look up and see my family at the game. They also would enjoy coming to see me play.

On the last day of my visit to USF, I had a long talk with coach Jim Leavitt. He urged me to commit so other recruits would.

Most coaches try to convince me to commit early for that reason.

You start to feel pressured when coaches ask you that. But I don't want to rush my decision. I enjoyed my visit at USF, but these visits are starting to get tiring. Hopefully, I still have enough enthusiasm for my final two visits.

Schaeffer's schedule of visits: Friday (Auburn); Jan. 23 (North Carolina State).