• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brent Schaeffer and OC hire updates

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

The bottomline is that those with the most talent and able to make the team better will get to play. We have a lot of incomming talented players but we all know that unfourtunately they all dont pan out, some  will have injuries, others will fail academically, or decide to transfer for many reasons and others find out that the college game is much faster than what they were used to. Because of that coaches have to get as much talent in every position as they can.

JL is NOT guaranteeing a starting job to any transfer nor freshman, so i have no problem with getting talented players that transfer in IF they are willing to work hard, stay out of trouble and not come in thinking the job is theirs.

Our program is growing but is not to the level of a UF or FSU were EVERY single year they bring in studs at every position and that highly touted freshman from the year before gets his spot taken by the new incoming guy.

Im glad and wish the best to ALL the players that chose the Bulls straight out of High school, BUT i also want the BEST team available out there.

Good luck to all.

I am not saying that the job is going to be given to anybody but lets say one of the fresh work hard and do get a spot either 1 or 2 QB then here comes BS who started for Tenn. ( that is impressive) you cant tell me that he is going to have as long of road to hoe as the others did. We will just wait and see what happens. Alot could change by next season!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

We don't know who would have a long road to hoe, and it really doesn't matter.

If Grothe beats out Brent in 2006, he'd have the job... if Grothe can't beat out Brent, then he wouldn't have the job.  He shouldn't get the job just because he worked/works hard (heck, Pat Julmiste works hard, and you see where that got him last year), but he should get it if he is the best we have.

I think Grothe will be the best this year, but it'll be a dog fight with Schaeffer, and may the QB that will take us to the promise land win.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

I would take him just to keep him out of the hands of UCF

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

I would take him just to keep him out of the hands of UCF

You are starting to sound like Bobby Bowden.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  76

all things being equal, (and i'm a big fan of schaeffer) if schaeffer doesn't significantly beat out grothe, or hill, you go with the people who made a committment to usf out of high school. remember, schaeffer rejected us we weren't even in his final top 3. grothe especially never wavered in his committment to this program and that should mean something. i'll always be more partial to either of them starting over a transfer.

Shaeffer didn't reject us... he made the best choice, at least on paper, for himself.  That is just ridiculous thinking to think a blue chipper that chooses a big name school is a slight on us.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

I agree!! Heck BS might not even come to USF but it will be a wait and see. Should be fun to watch this season to see USF grow up I think this could be the year where you see alot of that!

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

We don't know who would have a long road to hoe, and it really doesn't matter.

If Grothe beats out Brent in 2006, he'd have the job... if Grothe can't beat out Brent, then he wouldn't have the job.  He shouldn't get the job just because he worked/works hard (heck, Pat Julmiste works hard, and you see where that got him last year), but he should get it if he is the best we have.

I think Grothe will be the best this year, but it'll be a dog fight with Schaeffer, and may the QB that will take us to the promise land win.

No mention of Carlton Hill?

I didn't mention Hill because i think he's going to end up playing a different position.  I think Grothe is the only freshman that is going to have a chance to start this year because he's already learning the offense, taking alot of steps on his own, before ever making it to campus.  It'll be a dog fight this year just because of how green both denson and grothe will be.  Next year though... if BS does come here... we may have an epic QB battle for the ages!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

Ex-Vols QB Puts USF On List To Consider

A Tribune staff, wire report

Published: May 13, 2005

TAMPA - Former Tennessee quarterback Brent Schaeffer sent his release to South Florida along with several other schools where Schaeffer is considering to transfer.

A Tennessee official said Thursday that Schaeffer's release was sent ``to about 10 schools.'' His mother, Chandra Schaeffer, confirmed USF, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Texas A&M, Clemson and Miami (Ohio) had been sent a release.

She also said UCF received a release even though her son and UT coach Phil Fulmer agreed Schaeffer may not transfer to another Southeastern Conference school or a school the Vols play during his remaining eligibility. UCF visits UT in 2007, which would be his junior season.

Last fall, Schaeffer became the first true freshman to start at quarterback in an SEC opener since 1945. He must sit out the 2005 season and would have three years of eligibility remaining.

``It's still early in the process,'' Chandra Schaeffer said. ``I want him to take his time so he doesn't make the same mistake. I think we have a better insight of how this all works.''

Chandra Schaeffer said her son will visit some - but not all - of the schools he is considering. He visited USF as a senior at Deerfield Beach, and she said he will not visit again.

Brett McMurphy

I think this bodes well for us since he seemed to be so high on us and with our current QB situation.

Go BULLS !!!

More Chat:

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Prospects;action=display;num=1115959541;start=0#1