• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Q and A with Jeff Odom

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Is Bartow an insurance policy?

May be something to that conspiracy theory. He could have made a cool $1.4K this year just handling honey-do's around the house .... His dad was at UCLA .... MH was at UCLA ..... hmmmmm.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

22 hours ago, Jeff Odom said:

Bleh. That guy is the worst.

In all seriousness, really, ask away. I'm happy to answer your questions. You can also submit some for my weekly USF podcast on Twitter @JeffOdom or by emailing kevin[at]espnblacksburg[dot]com.

Ok, since you're serious about TBP input, I have a serious question.  What is the philosophy/rationale for the TBT to include opinion articles that openly mock USF as "a joke"?  From what I can tell on this board, many are over the blame game for Joey (rightfully so), but Martin seems to be almost universally decried.  He had his fun for our stupid errors in his column and on Twitter ("Bigg 12 here they come!").  Is this justified by his status as a columnist, even if it disenfranchises hometown fans?  I understand that we could have thicker skins (as could any fan base) and USF should be better at spellchecking (they've always seemed to suck at that); just looking for the bigger picture of TBT editorial philosophy.  Perhaps Martin's column was even more harshly worded pre-print, for instance.  At any rate, this is only one of Martin's many negative opinions on USF, while positive ones have seemed rare; surely the TBT realized this.  Just hoping for some insight on what seems incongruent with some other regions' columnists (admittedly with a USF bias!).  Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, NCBull said:

Ok, since you're serious about TBP input, I have a serious question.  What is the philosophy/rationale for the TBT to include opinion articles that openly mock USF as "a joke"?  From what I can tell on this board, many are over the blame game for Joey (rightfully so), but Martin seems to be almost universally decried.  He had his fun for our stupid errors in his column and on Twitter ("Bigg 12 here they come!").  Is this justified by his status as a columnist, even if it disenfranchises hometown fans?  I understand that we could have thicker skins (as could any fan base) and USF should be better at spellchecking (they've always seemed to suck at that); just looking for the bigger picture of TBT editorial philosophy.  Perhaps Martin's column was even more harshly worded pre-print, for instance.  At any rate, this is only one of Martin's many negative opinions on USF, while positive ones have seemed rare; surely the TBT realized this.  Just hoping for some insight on what seems incongruent with some other regions' columnists (admittedly with a USF bias!).  Thanks in advance.

Here's their philosophy. They put that Fennelly column in a very prominent spot, at the very top of the Sports front page. In the same edition,  a really nice article by JK about our presentation was on Pg 3 and I posted this about that elsewhere: And to further evidence what I said elsewhere, the headline on JK's blog was "USF continues to make case to join the Big 12" . The exact same article in the print version had a big, bold headline of "USF pitch needed a rewrite", with a smaller article descriptor below that saying "A spelling error leads to social media jokes, corrected version"

Someone over there has a problem with us.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

31 minutes ago, NCBull said:

14 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Here's their philosophy. They put that Fennelly column in a very prominent spot, at the very top of the Sports front page. In the same edition,  a really nice article by JK about our presentation was on Pg 3 and I posted this about that elsewhere: And to further evidence what I said elsewhere, the headline on JK's blog was "USF continues to make case to join the Big 12" . The exact same article in the print version had a big, bold headline of "USF pitch needed a rewrite", with a smaller article descriptor below that saying "A spelling error leads to social media jokes, corrected version"

Odom, I do share this same opinion. 

A good news organization will be balanced when covering sports, while having usually a columnist with a slight homer-istic approach when writing their post (being that it is the local team).  Heck look at Bianchi (sp?) he can be a troll to UCF'ers at times, but when it comes down to it, he pushes UCF.  See his articles regarding UCF and the B12

TBT does nothing to support USF besides the bare minimum.  Ignoring this whole spelling "fiasco" Joey seems to not care or want to be associated with USF and does the bare minimum.  Trip's example above is a clear example of how TBT has covered USF in the past.  And Fennelly... just read what he writes about USF and no further explanation will be needed.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233

Guys, these probably aren't questions he'd handle on a pod cast. I'm not even sure he'd be willing to impart his opinion on that as it may get him into trouble at the Times. I've worked for the Times in the past and can tell you for a fact, they don't do criticism well when it comes from their employees.

The people whom write for them do so with one thing in mind, circulation. If your incensed or entranced either way, you'll guy the paper or talk about it. Both help circulation.

Just do what I've chosen to do. I neither read their rag nor do I speak about it generally. I omit it's existence at every opportunity. Thus they get no financial or verbal support form me.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,568
  • Days Won:  28

1. Why isn't Deadrin Senat starting?

2. When do the preferring walk on's start? I am trying to see if a guy names Edrick Neal has made the team or if the walks-ons don't start until fall. 

3. Is the AD working on getting us a good P5 opponent for 2019 and 2020?

On another note, I have no issues with you bruh. I dont get that emotionally attached to sports writers. Once we start winning, err'body (In the words of rapper nelly)  will forgot about whatever they are mad at. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  66
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but does anyone think Jeff Vinik would be willing to $upport USF's efforts in trying to get into the BIG12?  I'm thinking like Fedex is supporting Memphis. Just wondering if there would be any potential interest, or if he's even been asked. 

2 hours ago, IndyBull2011 said:

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but does anyone think Jeff Vinik would be willing to $upport USF's efforts in trying to get into the BIG12?  I'm thinking like Fedex is supporting Memphis. Just wondering if there would be any potential interest, or if he's even been asked. 

I think Vinik and USF already have a great working relationship so if there's any opportunity there, I'm sure it's been explored. Memphis really NEEDS FedEx because without them, they have relatively little merit on their own.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899

14 hours ago, Triple B said:

Unfortunately, in today's America, sensationalism sells.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  1

Last season I spoke to a lot of coaches/staff and they all spoke highly of Cherry's potential. Now that he is eligible to play what kind of impact is he making so far this fall? Do you expect him to break out this season?

• Upvote 1