• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

David Kelly to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:

UCF had a dirty program ... the NCAA verified it a couple of times. Not sure where hypocrisy would fit into this.

FIFY

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  83
  • Days Won:  0

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:08 PM, Triple B said:

Sure looked like football took a lot better advantage of their violations than basketball did ...

From what I understand not a single player involved in any of the alleged violations ever played a down for UCF. The big one was a 4 star QB Demarcus Smith who was committed to UL.  He never even got on campus.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,047
  • Days Won:  11

3 hours ago, Knightfan41 said:

From what I understand not a single player involved in any of the alleged violations ever played a down for UCF. The big one was a 4 star QB Demarcus Smith who was committed to UL.  He never even got on campus.

didn't he  refuse

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

3 hours ago, 2000bull said:

didn't he  refuse

Not that I recall. Grades or SAT's IIRC, went to a JC eventually I think, flamed out. Poof.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,047
  • Days Won:  11

1 hour ago, footnfan1 said:

Not that I recall. Grades or SAT's IIRC, went to a JC eventually I think, flamed out. Poof.

I thought he went jc because oliar wouldn't release him from his LOI.  Ended up at WKU I believe

44 minutes ago, 2000bull said:

I thought he went jc because oliar wouldn't release him from his LOI.  Ended up at WKU I believe

WKU, then Butler CC, then North Texas. O'Leary was the least of his problems.  He is a senior this  year.  I wish him every success. 

2015:
• Played in 10 games with six starts, including his first career start against Western Kentucky 
• Led the team in passing, completing 99-of-212 passes for 1010 yards with eight touchdowns and five interceptions
• Was also the team’s second-leading rusher, rushing for 427 yards on 92 carries, the most rushing yards by a North Texas quarterback since 2009
• Threw his first career touchdown pass against Portland State
• Became the first quarterback in school history to pass for 200 yards and rush for 100 yards in the same game, completing 17-of-35 passes for 228 yards and four touchdowns and rushing 16 times for 122 yards against Western Kentucky
• Became the 10th different quarterback in school history to throw four or more touchdown passes in a game, the first since Riley Dodge threw four touchdown passes against Western Kentucky in 2009
• Won his first game as a starting quarterback against UTSA, completing 11-of-22 passes for 104 yards and rushing 14 times for 137 yards
• His 137 yards rushing was the most by a quarterback since Scott Davis rushed 34 times for 203 yards and two touchdowns against SMU in 1990

• Set the school record with two 100-yard rushing games in a single season 
• Tied Scott Davis for the school record for most career 100-yard rushing games by a quarterback with two

• Along with running back Jeffrey Wilson, made history, becoming the first quarterback and running back combination in school history to rush for 100 or more yards in the same game
• Completed 25-of-45 passes for a career-high 234 yards with two touchdowns and one interception against Louisiana Tech

13 hours ago, 2000bull said:

It was a combination of both.  He was having trouble getting through the NCAA clearinghouse after he signed.  Then there was an indication that he wanted to go back to UL because of pressure he was getting at home.  GOL said he would not release him to go back to UL.  In the end it did not matter because he was declared ineligible by the NCAA.  He ended up the next year at WKU.  Failed out there, went to community college then signed on at N. Texas where I think he is currently second string. 

His whole story is a sad testament to how crazy and problematic the recruiting process is.  Here is a kid that was under a lot of pressure about where he was going to play football when he should have been pressured to hit the books. 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Knightfan41 said:

It was a combination of both.  He was having trouble getting through the NCAA clearinghouse after he signed.  Then there was an indication that he wanted to go back to UL because of pressure he was getting at home.  GOL said he would not release him to go back to UL.  In the end it did not matter because he was declared ineligible by the NCAA.  He ended up the next year at WKU.  Failed out there, went to community college then signed on at N. Texas where I think he is currently second string. 

His whole story is a sad testament to how crazy and problematic the recruiting process is.  Here is a kid that was under a lot of pressure about where he was going to play football when he should have been pressured to hit the books. 

It's also a sad commentary on poor decision-making skills. I find it hard to believe he didn't have mentors/teachers/friends/family along the way influencing him to take advantage of the free academics & tutors.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, raptorcj said:

It's also a sad commentary on poor decision-making skills. I find it hard to believe he didn't have mentors/teachers/friends/family along the way influencing him to take advantage of the free academics & tutors.

Exactly, it is an epidemic.

3 hours ago, raptorcj said:

He was touted as UL's next great QB until Teddy Bridgewater committed and enrolled early.  That is when the pressure really hit him.  Smith came from one of the poorest and most violent neighborhoods in Louisville. I doubt he had much in the way of proper guidance about academics or the importance of a college diploma. I hope he can get a degree from N. Texas and make it out of the trap. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1