• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Rolls Past I-4 Rival to Complete Regular Season Sweep

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS 

GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: JAN. 24, 2016

Follow @USFAthletics On Twitter

Like USF Athletics on Facebook

USF Rolls Past I-4 Rival to Complete Regular Season Sweep

ORLANDO, JAN. 24, 2016 – Freshman standout Kitija Laksa knocked down seven three pointers in her 29-point effort Sunday, to lead No. 15 University of South Florida past I-4 rival UCF. The Bulls cruised past the Knights 88-49 at CFE Arena in their 10th 20-plus point victory this season. 

Laksa (Riga, Latvia) shot 58 percent in her fourth 20-plus point performance and went 7-for-10 from behind the arc, just one three-pointer away from tying her career best, eight threes in one game. Laksa also added five rebounds and two assists. 

The Bulls trailed 14-11 after the first quarter, but led by 12 at the half thanks to a combined 23-point effort from Laksa,Courtney Williams (Folkston, Ga.) and Laura Ferreira (Lisboa, Portugal). The trio had a strong third quarter as well, scoring 21 of the Bulls 27 points, each making one three in the highest scoring quarter of the game.  USF limited the Knights to just five field goals in the quarter and finished on a 14-4 run.  

13 Bulls saw action in the final 10 minutes, including senior Micah Kroll (Tampa, Fla.) and junior Neena Pacholke (Tampa, Fla.) making their first appearances this season. Kroll scored in her sixth career three-pointer, and put the Bulls up 83-49 with 1:22 left in the contest. Nancy Warioba (Kisumu, Kenya) chipped in four points, a career high, and grabbed two rebounds.

Williams finished with 20 points, and a team best eight rebounds, three assists, while Ferreira finished with 14 points, six rebounds and three assists. Shalethia Stringfield (Jacksonville, Fla.) notched her third consecutive double-digit outing with 13 points and added six rebounds and a game high six assists.

The Bulls have not lost to the Knights since Dec. 10, 1980 and have won 19-consecutive meetings, the programs longest win streak.

The Bulls return to Tampa for a Wednesday nightcap against Houston. USF will play its first game in the Sun Dome in 10 days. The Bulls are 10-1 at home this season, their only loss came at the hands of No. 1 UConn. Tip-off for Wednesday’s game will be at 7 p.m.and will air on USF’s Bulls Vision on GoUSFBulls.com. Reserve your seats at USFBullsTix.com or by calling 1-800-GoBulls.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

After visiting the the Sun Dome last week, I had the same thought. The Sun Dome experience was very good though.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

I am still hopeful that we can make the Sweet 16, but this team clearly has a ceiling around there. This team really should only have 2 or 3 losses at this point. It is wonderful, considering the history of the program, but it is also disappointing, as it doesn't seem as if the team has taken an appreciable step forward this season. Next year will be very tough losing Williams and Jenkins. Other than Laksa, I just don't see where any sort of consistent scoring will come from. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Consistency is this team's achilles heel. They need more confidence, and a keep-the-throttle-down effort like this is a good place to start. Proud of this game.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  441
  • Days Won:  2

Was a nice win, keep the domination in the series going. Now to keep it up, can't afford another slip like the Memphis game.

54 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Based on what?

Based upon last year's performance, this year's returning starters, and the fact that I personally believe we are a better team than St. John's and Memphis, and at least as good of a team as Mississippi State. The Baylor and UCONN losses are understandable (and actually expected), but other than those, I think we were the better team on the court in all of our other games. I'm not saying I'm completely disappointed with this year's performance to date, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement, especially in closing out games.  

20 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

Where you at the Miss State game?  I was and IMO we were not the better team on the court. At times, their defense made us look inept.

We might not have been the better team that day, but based upon their overall body of work, I still think we are the better team. With that being said, it still doesn't change my opinion that we should really only have 2 or 3 losses at this point given the schedule that we have played. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Didn't want to start a new thread for this so....................

While watching how quickly Laksa launches her shot has anyone else have the name Steph Curry pop into their head?  I swear she has as quick a release as I've ever seen from a WBB player.  It may not be as quick as Steph's but the thought has crossed my mind a couple of times.  

And, wouldn't it be nice if Cousins could learn to shoot the ball without having to put it on the floor?

17 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

I don't believe any of the polls or rankings agree with your assessment of MSU.  IMO, the only "bad loss" we have had so far was at Memphis (Jenkins may have been the difference), but we'll know more when they come to the Dome. 

I agree Memphis is the only "bad loss." However, I also think we should have beaten St. John's. We didn't shoot well at all (38% as a team, 6-24 from 3 point range). We really aren't in total disagreement. I simply said that they should really only have 2 or 3 losses at this point and you think 4 would be acceptable.