• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UConn game Saturday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this might be a turning point in the program as far as cwt is concerned

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Thanks for the writeup, Sanjay.  Most pre-game talk has been a variation of "one win is just an outlier, two or more is a trend" or "can't get excited until we win another game."  

I think this will either be a slugfest, or a game in which whoever has the ball last wins.  

I admit I havent been working the QB, QF and QBR into the mix yet. I will be though shortly lol ;)

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

then again, it might not.

h4D2F92A4

Edited by raptorcj

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

First off, it's their homecoming and they will be fired up and play with a lot of energy.  Remember, they're in the same situation as us.  They believe they've turned the corner and are looking to validate it with us.  I know game temps will only be in the 50s, but we always seem to be a step slow in cooler games.  Diaco is a good DC and now that he's seen what we do, I believe he'll game plan to slow us down.  They don't run a lot of stunts and blitzes like Cuse, instead they have big 300lb DTs that clog the middle and a 290lb DE.  We broke a lot of big plays on Cuse because we caught them in blitzes and burned them.  Still not sold on Flowers ability to throw when we have to.

Also, when was the last time we scored 28 points against UConnn?

I hope the Bulls go out tomorrow and make me look like an idiot for typing all of this, however, I don't believe that will happen.

Go Bulls and prove me wrong.

True on the bubbas in the middle. We'll need to tie them up, and give Mack some off tackle runs, and hopefully set the edge for the some big runs.  I think Mack in the secondary will be dangerous...he has the moves to make 'em miss.  He gashed the Cuse secondary.  Cuse was stout up front, too, but once he got beyond, he killed 'em.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Day before the game and no actual football talk?  I'll take a stab at this.

It appears UConn has a very accurate QB in Bryant Shirrefs. He's thrown a few interceptions but also 6 touchdowns. Their homerun threat is Arkeel Newsome who is also a dangerous kick returner.  Unlike in years past they have not run the ball well and are averaging less than 4 ypc.  They average 324 ypg and 19.8 ppg. Their opponents have been Villanova (20-15), Army (22-17), Missouri (6-9), Navy (18-28), BYU (13-30) and UCF (40-13).

Anyways, I was wondering how UConn all-of-a-sudden exploded for 40 points against UCF and if they found their offense.  

Safety on the dumb play by the UCF KR -2 points.
Touchdown on a 2 play 9 yard drive after UCF turnover - 7 points
Touchdown on a 2 play 34 yard drive after UCF turnover - 7 points
FG after an 8 play 25 yard drive after a 71 yard KR - 3 points
Touchdown on a 2 play 16 yard drive after UCF muffed a punt - 7 points

26 points on 84 yards of offense. Kudos to them for taking full advantage (something our teams have struggled to do the last few years) but they still only had 2 good drives of sustained offense all game.  

We don't turn the ball over and we play good coverage and stay away from Arkeel Newsome then we should have a better than 50% chance of winning this game.

Appreciate the summary.  I was at the Cuse game, so all I saw were updates on the score.  This makes me feel better, but not overconfident.  UConn is pumped, and looking to beat us and get one step closer to a bowl.

A loss today or v SMU likely ends our bowl hopes, and make marks the end of Taggart's run.  May sound dramatic, but I believe even with both wins, 2 wins will be tough (ECU and UCF are the most likely wins, but there are no gimmes any more, till we show we can consistently coach & execute).

• Topic Count:  602
  • Content Count:  16,379
  • Days Won:  43

Gonna be a real hot dog environment for USF fans after Bulls beat UConn!! 3-3 sounds good !! Bowl talks will grow. May book a room on TI so I am there for St Pete Bowl.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Yep.  Could go either way

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

We have not contained Newsome on KRs. At all.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

We have not contained Newsome on KRs. At all.

Nope, but so far our defense has been able to overcome.  Hopefully that continues.  

As I speak, we let their WR out of a tackle and he gets a big pickup.  

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Given the opponent, it really appears that UCF lost the game more than UCONN won it. I think our D will be able to handle UCONN and keep them contained to 14-21pts. I think our Offense won't have quite the showing we did vs Syracuse unless we get some of those nice turnovers. That punt recovery last game was great boost and unexpected points. This should be a good game. I would think we may do 28-35pts on offense. 
The one unknown is with this shooting incident if more people are involved and have that on their mind it could be a distraction. But that is more of a discussion for the other 3 or so threads. 

First off, it's their homecoming and they will be fired up and play with a lot of energy.  Remember, they're in the same situation as us.  They believe they've turned the corner and are looking to validate it with us.  I know game temps will only be in the 50s, but we always seem to be a step slow in cooler games.  Diaco is a good DC and now that he's seen what we do, I believe he'll game plan to slow us down.  They don't run a lot of stunts and blitzes like Cuse, instead they have big 300lb DTs that clog the middle and a 290lb DE.  We broke a lot of big plays on Cuse because we caught them in blitzes and burned them.  Still not sold on Flowers ability to throw when we have to.

Also, when was the last time we scored 28 points against UConnn?

I hope the Bulls go out tomorrow and make me look like an idiot for typing all of this, however, I don't believe that will happen.

Go Bulls and prove me wrong.

I think we are both happy I was right! haha GO BULLS. I so should have played the forum pick em game.