• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UConn game Saturday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Nice write up.  Something I noticed in the Cuse game.  Hill was doing the Kick Offs and not getting them very deep.  This could bite us in the butt with Newsome.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Thanks for the analysis

I watched the UConn UCF game and I noticed the same thing.. most points came off UCF turnovers, and they didnt have many sustained drives
It was an ugly game with many mistakes on both sides (if people thought the USF/MD game was ugly... watch this one.)  Didnt UConn muff/fumble a kickoff return soon after UCF's saftey?

EL_TORO:

Completely agree.  What's with the kicker not being able to kick it to the end zone?  If I remember right, only the game's initial kick-off reached.  Then it seemed like each kick after that was shorter and shorter (3 yard line, then 5, then 10)

Edited by Dogma
spelling error

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

Nice write up.  Something I noticed in the Cuse game.  Hill was doing the Kick Offs and not getting them very deep.  This could bite us in the butt with Newsome.

I think Nadelman was struggling to get them deep against Memphis which is why Hill was kicking off. I agree that could be a huge problem for us because our coverage pre-Syracuse was not good.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612

Well Hill wasn't any better than Nadelman.  This is a cause for concern.  On the subject of special teams, I'm not sure how confident I am in Nadelman if we need a game winning kick.

Man I miss Kloss!

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

Just kick it out of bounds all day if you have too, don let the KR beat us.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Just kick it out of bounds all day if you have too, don let the KR beat us.

+1.  I coach high school ball and I always have my kicker squib it or kick it out of bounds if they have a top returner.  I never put the ball in the hands of a dangerous returner.  Been burned too many times.  The deep man on kickoff return is virtually always the fastest guy or best athlete on their team.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878

Safety on the dumb play by the UCF KR -2 points.
Touchdown on a 2 play 9 yard drive after UCF turnover - 7 points
Touchdown on a 2 play 34 yard drive after UCF turnover - 7 points
FG after an 8 play 25 yard drive after a 71 yard KR - 3 points
Touchdown on a 2 play 16 yard drive after UCF muffed a punt - 7 points

One translation of this is that they have a very solid and improving D. This is just more evidence to me that this should be another slug-fest defensive battle. Again, I think we have the edge there. But I really want to see our O continue to come out of its shell!

[edit] at least no rain tomorrow, weather should be decent football conditions but bring a hot chocolate if you're in the stands.

Edited by raptorcj

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

One translation of this is that they have a very solid and improving D. This is just more evidence to me that this should be another slug-fest defensive battle. Again, I think we have the edge there. But I really want to see our O continue to come out of its shell!

Absolutely right.  I looked at their stats against BYU and wondered how they kept it close into the 4th even though BYU had 200 yards more than them. BYU drove on 4 different occasions to within the UConn 30 and had 2 missed field goals and 2 interceptions.  Their defense will not be a cakewalk. Given Diaco's defensive background expect them to be very disciplined and ready for what they saw us do against Syracuse.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Thanks for the analysis

I watched the UConn UCF game and I noticed the same thing.. most points came off UCF turnovers, and they didnt have many sustained drives
It was an ugly game with many mistakes on both sides (if people thought the USF/MD game was ugly... watch this one.)  Didnt UConn muff/fumble a kickoff return soon after UCF's saftey?

EL_TORO:

Completely agree.  What's with the kicker not being able to kick it to the end zone?  If I remember right, only the game's initial kick-off reached.  Then it seemed like each kick after that was shorter and shorter (3 yard line, then 5, then 10)

↑ THIS ↑

I mentioned this in the stands last week. We seem to lose 5yds per kick. The last kick vs Memphis barely reached the 20.