• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie, play this right before kick off ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

which is shocking to me since he was a QB himself.  It was amazing to see how quick BJ Daniels was before he battled injuries here.  

Great point. What stuck out to me watching that video was how much faster BJ looked then than he did toward the end of his run here.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

That is the kind of intensity we will need again if we hope to kill the giant ...again ;)

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Wow.  That brings back memories.  It's almost unbelievable that we once played like that.  We have a long way to go.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

which is shocking to me since he was a QB himself.  It was amazing to see how quick BJ Daniels was before he battled injuries here.  

Great point. What stuck out to me watching that video was how much faster BJ looked then than he did toward the end of his run here.

He was a 19-23 year old college athlete haha. If he lost any speed at all it may be a tenth of a second on his 40 time. I think many forget Holtz didn't want him to play the way he did with Leavitt. Holtz wanted him to be a pocket passer QB which still to this day makes no sense. Holtz came in with his offense and did it his way instead of customizing the offense to play to our best player's strengths at the time. Had Holtz been okay with BJ running and using an offense similar to what we had during that FSU game we would've seen a lot more of that in my opinion.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Holtz came in with his offense and did it his way instead of customizing the offense to play to our best player's strengths at the time. Had Holtz been okay with BJ running and using an offense similar to what we had during that FSU game we would've seen a lot more of that in my opinion.

That was Holtz' biggest failing, after rainbows & puppy dogs and ill-timed golf outings, of course.  He limited the best part of BJD's game, his legs.  I mean, those are really the extremities keeping him in the NFL now.  

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

He was a 19-23 year old college athlete haha. If he lost any speed at all it may be a tenth of a second on his 40 time. I think many forget Holtz didn't want him to play the way he did with Leavitt. Holtz wanted him to be a pocket passer QB which still to this day makes no sense. Holtz came in with his offense and did it his way instead of customizing the offense to play to our best player's strengths at the time. Had Holtz been okay with BJ running and using an offense similar to what we had during that FSU game we would've seen a lot more of that in my opinion.

Certainly it wasn't due to age, but as Matt noted he had injury problems his last couple years that I assume slowed him down.

Certainly it wasn't due to age, but as Matt noted he had injury problems his last couple years that I assume slowed him down.

It's possible it slowed him a bit, but I don't think it was as big as it's made out to be. He was forced to be a different player with Holtz.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  12

Regarding my favorite USF road trip, it is so hard to choose between Auburn and FSU.  Auburn had more tradition IMO and the War Eagle circling the stadium was amazing.  From a strictly football perspective, FSU gets the slight edge because no one really knew how special BJ would be in his first start, whereas it didn't shock any USF fans that Grothe played so well vs. Auburn.

Completely agree with those that have mentioned how dominant our defense was in Tallahassee.  In hindsight, it should be no surprise based on the future NFL players (some with longer careers then others) on the field that day:  Selvie, JPP, Murphy, Raymond, Barrington, McClain, Allen, Wilson?, Marshall?  Am I missing someone?

How many future NFL'ers are on our current defense? 

We turned FSU over 6 times that day (4 fumbles and 2 picks) and beat the hell out of Ponder.  The score should have actually been much worse. We will need to do something similar to Golson and the crew tomorrow morning. 

Leaving the house for Tally @ 2:30 today.  Go Bulls!

Edited by Marquel

notice the talent that was on the field.  drastically different from where we have been last few years with Holtz recruiting classes.

Really has nothing to do with recruiting classes.

Has everything to do with coaches having an eye for talent and developing players.

1. Tyrone Mckenzie - 2 Star Recruit
  2. Nate Allen - 2 Star Recruit (Was a QB in high school)
  3. George Selvie - 2 Star Recruit (Was an O-Lineman in high school)
  4. Jerome Murphy - 2 Star Recruit
  5. Mistral Raymond - Not even rated coming out of high school
  6. Kion Wilson - 2 Star Recruit

Were all apart of that defense and played in the NFL or still do. Pierre-Paul and Jacquian Williams were Juco players that came in. Webster and Barrington were highly rated recruits though. 

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

One of the more fun highlight reels I ever put together. I don't watch them much anymore though. It hurts to see how hard we have fallen.

My favorite one is the USF/Kansas highlight reel - Used "Kickstart My Heart" for that one - Worked really well with the footage.