• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Have Solid Options at Punt/Kick Returner

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,672
  • Days Won:  424

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, AUG. 27, 2015 – USF Football coaches have worked hard to build depth at key positions since head coach Willie Taggart took over and the Bulls definitely have strength in numbers in the return game this fall.

The Bulls lost dependable punt returner Hassan Childs to a torn ACL last week, but they’ve got plenty of reinforcements producing in practice.

“Childs is out. It’s time for someone to step it up,†said assistant head coach Raymond Woodie, who is in charge of special teams.

Seizing the opportunity has been freshman Jordan Reed, a Tampa native, who earned all-county honors as a returner for Plant High School. As a senior, the speedster led Hillsborough County with 304 punt return yards and he’s continued to shine on special teams this preseason.

Aside from making plays at free safety, sophomore Tajee Fullwood has made an impact in the punt return game this fall. The former Bay Area prep standout shined on special teams for Tampa Bay Tech in 2013, when he returned a punt for a touchdown.

Another notable name is redshirt freshman walk-on Chase Whitehead, who gives USF a trusty set of hands in traffic. Also getting looks as a punt returner is redshirt freshman receiver Tyre McCants (Niceville, Fla.).

“Out of those four going into next week, we’re going to know,†Woodie said. “Right now if I had to pick it would be Reed and Tajee Fullwood. They’re the one, they’re the two, and then Chase Whitehead and then obviously McCants.â€

The Bulls also have solid options at kick returner after the departure of Chris Dunkley, who led the American Athletic Conference with 24.0 yards per return last season.

Junior receiver Rodney Adams (St. Petersburg) ranked second on the team with 20.5 yards per return last season. Right behind Adams was running back D’Ernest Johnson (Immokalee, Fla.), who averaged 19.6 yards on eight returns as a true freshman. Another option is freshman receiver Deangelo Antoine, who earned all-state honors out of Orlando’s Oak Ridge High School last season.

“Those guys are doing really well,†Woodie said.

More

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Lots of speed. Just need good hands and be drilled on field position. If I see another fair catch inside the 10 I think I'll throw a beer bottle through the TV.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Not sure I want to see Adams on KR. He doesn't strike me as a guy who can take the abuse. Much rather have DJ back there but it looks like RA is going to be the main returner for now.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Not sure I want to see Adams on KR. He doesn't strike me as a guy who can take the abuse. Much rather have DJ back there but it looks like RA is going to be the main returner for now.

My first thought, too...no starters back there, unless absolutely necessary (Dunkley was an exception, as that was the place he was most valuable, IMO).

Off topic, I'm really surprised no NFL team has tried him, as he seemed to get a lot of interest around draft time.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

I'd put the best playmaker at returner solely because I don't trust our offense and any scores from elsewhere would be fantastic.

And to above, I'm also stunned Dunkley never got a sniff. Must've been a horrible interview with coaches. All I can think. He played very well at CB without any experience. Would've thought he'd be a tempting guy to stash in the practice squad and coach up.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,049
  • Days Won:  469

Tajee Fullwood just sounds fast.

He gets my vote.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,564
  • Days Won:  28

So why not Tyler Pipens? From the video I saw and his track background he looked superfast. Plus he had I think 8 runs of 60yds or more