• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jimmy Bayes- 40 lbs added

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

This was a tidbit from the article Brad posted about Auggie but I think this really stood out to me.

Jimmy was a 4 star recruit and a huge get for CWT.  He had offers from Miami and others but what is shocking to me is that he was brought in as an athlete more of a Safety or even WR but since being here he has added 40 lbs of muscle and is now at LB.  

If he kept the speed that he had and added the 40 lbs of muscle then he will be a FORCE.  I look forward to seeing #4 out on the field this season.

Here is the clip from the article.

Bulked-Up Bayes

Jimmy Bayes has put on a lot of size since arriving on campus and he’s moving with it well this fall.

Playing as USF’s “Stinger†weakside linebacker, Bayes has been running with the first-team defense in practice.

“I just have to try to be consistent, do my assignments and just play ball,†he said.

The redshirt freshman out of Immokalee High School adds a lot of physicality to the defense. Bayes has bulked up to 230 pounds, about 40 pounds heavier than when he arrived on campus.

“I worked out really hard because I wanted to be solid muscle,†he said. “I give a lot of credit to my strength and conditioning staff. They gave me a plan and I followed it.â€

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Wouldn't it be something if he beat out Harris and Whitehurst for that job.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

And with $4k in extra money he'll be able to eat like the rest of the student body.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Wouldn't it be something if he beat out Harris and Whitehurst for that job.

I have always thought that he would start.  I actually want him to.  He's another I've followed.  I saw him when he played out here at the Semper Phi bowl and he was one of the best guys on the field.  I'm glad Taggart didn't rush him last season because he's the kind of guy if developed right, he will be a force.  That kid is a pure athletic freak who understands football.  He gets it.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

I think part of it was to see if he could bulk up to move down to LB or stay at safety.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Haven't heard much of him on the practice reports, so it's good to hear he's got a chance to start, or at least play a lot.

He was one of the most active recruiters we've had, and I'm really pulling for him to make a positive, strong impact.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508

I think Jimmy Bayes and Vincent Jackson are going to make a formidable duo on defense.  Jackson is on the move up on the depth chart.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I too gained 40 pounds in 2 years.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  495
  • Days Won:  1

He had to have added at least 20 lbs of fat as well. There's no possible way he gained 40 lbs of muscle in a year, naturally.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

He had to have added at least 20 lbs of fat as well. There's no possible way he gained 40 lbs of muscle in a year, naturally.

I think you add some things together... probably a little embellishment (went from being listed at 195 in HS to 225 on roster now), time was actually a little more than a year, a little natural growth for an 18 old, some fluctuation in water weight, ... not that far beyond the realm of belief that he put on maybe 20-25 lbs of muscle and a little extra in fat, bone density, etc. He had a LONG way to go to fill out his frame when he got here because he was relatively skinny.