• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Practice 08/11 (Evening)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We need a good defense

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

A little late but here are my observations from our vantage point behind the endzone.

Passing Game

In the 7x7 I was able to watch qb reads on Flowers and Bench. I would say that they were both around 80% good reads.  In 11x11 I remember 6 of Flowers attempts.  I graded him 4-6. The 4 good reads were all check downs to a second or 3rd option when primary route was covered. 1 bad read was a lockdown on primary target and throw into only guy who was doubled covered, although the ball was completed, possible int when other guys were open. Other bad read was on roll out to the left after pressure he had chase whitehead open deep but put head down and ran. 

Overall, I saw very little attempt to stretch the field vertically. 1 incomplete pass from Flowers down the seem. Don't remember any downfield towards the sidelines throws above 10 yrds. 

In pass blocking Defense got the better of Oline. 

We do have some talent at WR and TE.  Clerveaux and Dillon both stand out for me. Tall guys that can move and present very visible targets for our qbs. Adams always a great short routes wr. Tyree McCants looked good. 

Running Game

Offense really dominated run game for the most part. All 3 backs: mack, tice and johnson look good. Give these guys a little blocking and they will get the job done. Mack great at waiting for the hole and then accelerating for big yards. Tice and Johnson both looked quick too but a more powerful style of running. 

We scored at least 3 times on QB keepers. 

Defense

Team speed is back up to where it should be. Jimmy Bayes looked good at LB. Do not remember seeing Nate Godwin or Johnny Ward playing. Loss of Calloway will be big. Lacked good push up the middle, especially on running plays. Good pressure on qb during passing plays. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Jeff Odom is actively tweeting, with vids.  He's a good follow.

https://twitter.com/ByJeffOdom

And Odom hasn't finished his undergrad at USF yet. I hope he keeps covering USF, as I enjoy reading his stuff. Just imagine what kind of content he can provide with more experience under his belt and a decent paycheck from the Poynter Institute, the Times' owner.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Thanks again, guys, please keep on posting. It's good to have the different perspectives, too.

That high-emotion chippy-ness is a double-edged sword. Like Bayes said, it often results in penalties so that might be a concern going into the season. But the fire and the hunger is a must for a strong D, so hopefully they'll be able to keep it near the threshold.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

As I said in another thread, I'll gladly take the penalties if we play like we care - like the teams of past. If we can play defense with the intensity of the Leavitt years without penalties that's a bonus. But hit someone.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Alls I know is, my chair is permanently deformed thanks to Jerome Murphy. Just have some discipline, please.