• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another ESPN Diss

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

what did they actually rank us? I can't access espn at the office.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

"FPI is calculated using three major components for each FBS team: prior years’ offense, defense and special teams efficiencies; returning starters and head coach information; and recruiting rankings."

I'm surprised we are as high as we are.

Weren't the recruiting rankings rather high for USF? Highest non-P5?

I think it depends on who's rankings you are looking at.  ESPN, Rivals, 247...  Further, is it strictly numbers based, meaning the more recruits the better or is it quality/star based?  We have done a decent job recruiting when looking at numbers, but the gap is not so great, if there even is one, when you look at average talent/star ratings of our conference peers.  On a side note, I am still not sold that Willie's recruits are any better than Skips.  Numbers wise, they are almost the same, time will tell if the 3 and 4 year results prove to be better.  But as of right now, Willie has not recruited better than Skip and his results are not either.  Willie still has work to do, in my book, to prove he is the recruiter people make him out to be.   

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

"FPI is calculated using three major components for each FBS team: prior years’ offense, defense and special teams efficiencies; returning starters and head coach information; and recruiting rankings."

I think it depends on who's rankings you are looking at.  ESPN, Rivals, 247...  Further, is it strictly numbers based, meaning the more recruits the better or is it quality/star based?  We have done a decent job recruiting when looking at numbers, but the gap is not so great, if there even is one, when you look at average talent/star ratings of our conference peers.  On a side note, I am still not sold that Willie's recruits are any better than Skips.  Numbers wise, they are almost the same, time will tell if the 3 and 4 year results prove to be better.  But as of right now, Willie has not recruited better than Skip and his results are not either.  Willie still has work to do, in my book, to prove he is the recruiter people make him out to be.   

Matter of perspective

The class average grade are about the same between the two (going by 247 average class grade) Taggart has an edge:

However you have to consider Skip was recruiting while in a "BCS" conference and coming off winning records.

His 247 class Rankings: 54, 69, 53, for an average of 58.67

Taggart, in a more difficult circumstance: recruiting from a "G5" conference after a few years of abysmal records (including Skip's years) is somehow still pulling in a better average:

247 Rankings: 53, 40, 68, for an average of 53.67

Basing it on this... i would say Taggart is a much better recruiter.

Edited by Dogma
  • Upvote 1

Matter of perspective

The class average grade are about the same between the two (going by 247 average class grade) Taggart has an edge:

However you have to consider Skip was recruiting while in a "BCS" conference and coming off winning records.

His 247 class Rankings: 54, 69, 53, for an average of 58.67

Taggart, in a more difficult circumstance: recruiting from a "G5" conference after a few years of abysmal records (including Skip's years) is somehow still pulling in a better average:

247 Rankings: 53, 40, 68, for an average of 53.67

Basing it on this... i would say Taggart is a much better recruiter.

Your right, it is perspective, but look at the conference, are you saying that if Skip was still here we would be recruiting nothing but two stars?  I don't buy the whole Skip had more to work with bit.   The upper half of our conference recruits to about the same level as we do.  Still, even if I take on your perspective, is a good recruiter one who gets the stars and numbers or the one who recruits players that can win?  Either way, Willie has shown me nothing but recruiting hype.  Hell, have you looked at Houston's recruiting class recently?  They are killing it!   

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it is a sad state of affairs

it isnt easy being this bad

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

We may stink, but Kansas outright sux. Kick those losers out of the Big12.

it is a sad state of affairs

it isnt easy being this bad

We are better than this!  I do not know why everyone keeps giving Willie the "great recruiter" pass.  Maybe it is all we have left to hang on to but it is not real.  Nothing of substance, yet, has come from his great recruiting.

Edited by ArmyBull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Isn't a diss not getting the respect you deserve?

Exactly ....

That's a completely fair and level evaluation.

The most optimistic evaluation I can muster:

Let's say our offense is much improved #80 (-1.3) instead of #116 (-7.2)

Let's say our defense is much improved #50 (2.6) instead of #74 (-0.7)

That would put or total "score" at 1.6 which would rank us at #59 overall.

Though, there's no way we're 40 spots better on offense and 25 spots better on defense.  Maybe we get one or the other.  Maybe we get a little bit of both.  But when being #59 out of 128 is a wild exaggeration, things are not going well.

Actually, I think we will be at least 40 spots better on offense... the differences in bad offenses are smaller than the differences between good offenses (from 116 to 80 is easier than 80 to 40, for example)... and I think we'll be a Top 40 defense as well.

If you look at where they rank the other teams in this ranking... U Conn and SMU are below us... so we should be no WORSE than 3-9 based on this... but look at how closely others on our schedule are ranked:

Memphis - 66

UCF - 73

Syracuse - 75

Maryland - 78

East Carolina - 79

Navy - 82

So if the 'exaggeration' is to move to 59... and I think we'll be better than that... then we could look as great as 9-3... (and I think Temple is rated too high, on the strength of their defense).

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

We may stink, but Kansas outright sux. Kick those losers out of the Big12.

Do you watch College Basketball? No way in hell Kansas is ever getting kicked out of any conference.