• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another ESPN Diss

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Where's the diss

I guess when you suck, pointing it out with facts is the new dis. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,097
  • Days Won:  39

Where's the diss

It's hard to argue with facts. We'll have to #dosomething to generate new facts this year...

Where's the diss

It's hard to argue with facts. We'll have to #dosomething to generate new facts this year...

It all starts with a clever hashtag. Just look at the best teams in football.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

"FPI is calculated using three major components for each FBS team: prior years’ offense, defense and special teams efficiencies; returning starters and head coach information; and recruiting rankings."

I'm surprised we are as high as we are.

Weren't the recruiting rankings rather high for USF? Highest non-P5?

I think it depends on who's rankings you are looking at.  ESPN, Rivals, 247...  Further, is it strictly numbers based, meaning the more recruits the better or is it quality/star based?  We have done a decent job recruiting when looking at numbers, but the gap is not so great, if there even is one, when you look at average talent/star ratings of our conference peers.  On a side note, I am still not sold that Willie's recruits are any better than Skips.  Numbers wise, they are almost the same, time will tell if the 3 and 4 year results prove to be better.  But as of right now, Willie has not recruited better than Skip and his results are not either.  Willie still has work to do, in my book, to prove he is the recruiter people make him out to be.   

Matter of perspective

The class average grade are about the same between the two (going by 247 average class grade) Taggart has an edge:

However you have to consider Skip was recruiting while in a "BCS" conference and coming off winning records.

His 247 class Rankings: 54, 69, 53, for an average of 58.67

Taggart, in a more difficult circumstance: recruiting from a "G5" conference after a few years of abysmal records (including Skip's years) is somehow still pulling in a better average:

247 Rankings: 53, 40, 68, for an average of 53.67

Basing it on this... i would say Taggart is a much better recruiter.

Your right, it is perspective, but look at the conference, are you saying that if Skip was still here we would be recruiting nothing but two stars?  I don't buy the whole Skip had more to work with bit.   The upper half of our conference recruits to about the same level as we do.  Still, even if I take on your perspective, is a good recruiter one who gets the stars and numbers or the one who recruits players that can win?  Either way, Willie has shown me nothing but recruiting hype.  Hell, have you looked at Houston's recruiting class recently?  They are killing it!   

Taggart is the better recruiter hands down. Taggart gets kids to take visits and consider us even where our program has sunk to that wouldn't even answer a text message from Skip Holtz coming off an 8-5 year in a BCS conference. 

With that being said, you don't need a great recruiter to win in the AAC. Look at O'leary in Orlando.. They went 12-1 and won a BCS game and their recruiting class was way worse than ours and we went 2-10. We've gotta get someone on staff (hoping we have them now with the new hires) that can develop talent. We used to develop the players we got. Now we change coaches every year, change schemes, it's a mess..

Yes, his amazing recruiting skills have helped us big time!  Bottom line is that we will always blame someone for our woes.  When Skippy beat Notre Dame he was amazing, when things fell apart, BJ was our problem, he just was not good enough.  Now, they are both gone and what do wee need most?  Some big wins and a QB, both things Ole Skippy had.  So keep riding that Willie recruiting wave of glory.  Wonder how these great recruits will measure up after four years of only winning 16 games, maybe.  Time to stop blaming Skip and realize that maybe all these 3 star athletes are just that, average!  

Never said his recruiting ability has done anything for us. I said he's a better recruiter. Unfortunately, Taggart hasn't developed anyone (although, to be fair he hasn't had time to prove if he can do that or not - we will find out this year though the beginnings of that), but most importantly from our 2 years with him he seems to be lacking in a lot of coaching areas from game planning to play calling. 

I don't blame Skip at all. I don't think Skip Holtz should even be mentioned anymore when talking about our situation. We play in the pitiful AAC now, you don't need a stacked team to be decent and win some games.

I'm one of Taggart's biggest critics on this board. Blame him for a lot of what's going on, bash him for almost anything and I'm probably right behind you agreeing, but recruiting isn't one of them.

Recruiting isn't everything, just like the point you're trying to make I believe? I agree, but he is hands down a better recruiter than Holtz. If you choose not to see that, then you're turning your head for whatever reason.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

"FPI is calculated using three major components for each FBS team: prior years’ offense, defense and special teams efficiencies; returning starters and head coach information; and recruiting rankings."

I think it depends on who's rankings you are looking at.  ESPN, Rivals, 247...  Further, is it strictly numbers based, meaning the more recruits the better or is it quality/star based?  We have done a decent job recruiting when looking at numbers, but the gap is not so great, if there even is one, when you look at average talent/star ratings of our conference peers.  On a side note, I am still not sold that Willie's recruits are any better than Skips.  Numbers wise, they are almost the same, time will tell if the 3 and 4 year results prove to be better.  But as of right now, Willie has not recruited better than Skip and his results are not either.  Willie still has work to do, in my book, to prove he is the recruiter people make him out to be.   

Matter of perspective

The class average grade are about the same between the two (going by 247 average class grade) Taggart has an edge:

However you have to consider Skip was recruiting while in a "BCS" conference and coming off winning records.

Taggart, in a more difficult circumstance: recruiting from a "G5" conference after a few years of abysmal records (including Skip's years) is somehow still pulling in a better average:

Your right, it is perspective, but look at the conference, are you saying that if Skip was still here we would be recruiting nothing but two stars?  I don't buy the whole Skip had more to work with bit.   The upper half of our conference recruits to about the same level as we do.  Still, even if I take on your perspective, is a good recruiter one who gets the stars and numbers or the one who recruits players that can win?  Either way, Willie has shown me nothing but recruiting hype.  Hell, have you looked at Houston's recruiting class recently?  They are killing it!   

Taggart is the better recruiter hands down. Taggart gets kids to take visits and consider us even where our program has sunk to that wouldn't even answer a text message from Skip Holtz coming off an 8-5 year in a BCS conference. 

With that being said, you don't need a great recruiter to win in the AAC. Look at O'leary in Orlando.. They went 12-1 and won a BCS game and their recruiting class was way worse than ours and we went 2-10. We've gotta get someone on staff (hoping we have them now with the new hires) that can develop talent. We used to develop the players we got. Now we change coaches every year, change schemes, it's a mess..

Yes, his amazing recruiting skills have helped us big time!  Bottom line is that we will always blame someone for our woes.  When Skippy beat Notre Dame he was amazing, when things fell apart, BJ was our problem, he just was not good enough.  Now, they are both gone and what do wee need most?  Some big wins and a QB, both things Ole Skippy had.  So keep riding that Willie recruiting wave of glory.  Wonder how these great recruits will measure up after four years of only winning 16 games, maybe.  Time to stop blaming Skip and realize that maybe all these 3 star athletes are just that, average!  

Never said his recruiting ability has done anything for us. I said he's a better recruiter. Unfortunately, Taggart hasn't developed anyone (although, to be fair he hasn't had time to prove if he can do that or not - we will find out this year though the beginnings of that), but most importantly from our 2 years with him he seems to be lacking in a lot of coaching areas from game planning to play calling. 

I don't blame Skip at all. I don't think Skip Holtz should even be mentioned anymore when talking about our situation. We play in the pitiful AAC now, you don't need a stacked team to be decent and win some games.

I'm one of Taggart's biggest critics on this board. Blame him for a lot of what's going on, bash him for almost anything and I'm probably right behind you agreeing, but recruiting isn't one of them.

Recruiting isn't everything, just like the point you're trying to make I believe? I agree, but he is hands down a better recruiter than Holtz. If you choose not to see that, then you're turning your head for whatever reason.

This seems to be the only thing we disagree on.  By what measurable is he a better recruiter?  As you mention, Ship recruited in the BE, I am not sure that made a ton of difference.  Lets say we hired someone else other than Willie.  Do you really think that our recruiting, ranking and star wise (pick your recruiting site), would be drastically different?  Saying he is a GREAT recruiter means that he is better than a good recruiter. I simply believe that if you plugged in any coach, except for maybe top level P5 coaches, that our recruiting results would be the same?

Another way to look at my point.  When most people look at recruiting rankings they are looking at a point system that awards points for number of athletes and their "star level."  This is how most services rate classes, quantity, for some reason is weighted greater than quality.  Easy math example, UAB signs 40, 2 star athletes, they will be ranked higher than ECU who signs 20 athletes with a mix of 3 stars, and a couple 4 stars.  Simply because of numbers.    

Now, lets look at Skips class numbers  according to 247.  2010 =  20, 2011 = 21, 2012 = 18.  Skips average class size = 19.6.    Willies numbers, 2013 = 24, 2014 = 28.  Willies average class size = 26 

Even when compared to our conference, the only thing that pushes us so high in rankings is that fact we are signing so many dang kids.

Willie is not a bad recruiter, I think he is an average recruiter.  If he was really that great, we would be blowing away the competition (our current conference) in quality of recruit.  I could care less about numbers.   

Maybe my point is lost trying to say that WIllie is no better than Skip at recruiting, fine, uncle, I give, Willie is better, but it sure ain't by a lot.  If Skip was a bad recruiter, Willie is average.

On last view.

USF has lead the AAC in recruiting per 247 (talent Wise) the last two years under WIllie.  2013 #1 USF = 83.02, #2 = 82.59, #3 82.22...   2014 #1 USF = 84.22, 83.71, 81.08...  Simply put, we are not exactly out performing the conference by a GREAT number.  So, are all of the other coaches in the AAC GREAT recruiters?  Further, different recruiting services did not place USF classes in the #1 position in these years, so there is that.  I think USF, the stadium, location, academics, etc.. really sells itself.  I am sure Willie road the "new coach, come make a difference, turn things around" hype machine and maybe he sold it good.  But, I think any other average coach would have done the same.   

Edited by ArmyBull

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Matter of perspective

This seems to be the only thing we disagree on.  By what measurable is he a better recruiter?  As you mention, Ship recruited in the BE, I am not sure that made a ton of difference.  Lets say we hired someone else other than Willie.  Do you really think that our recruiting, ranking and star wise (pick your recruiting site), would be drastically different?  Saying he is a GREAT recruiter means that he is better than a good recruiter. I simply believe that if you plugged in any coach, except for maybe top level P5 coaches, that our recruiting results would be the same?

Another way to look at my point.  When most people look at recruiting rankings they are looking at a point system that awards points for number of athletes and their "star level."  This is how most services rate classes, quantity, for some reason is weighted greater than quality.  Easy math example, UAB signs 40, 2 star athletes, they will be ranked higher than ECU who signs 20 athletes with a mix of 3 stars, and a couple 4 stars.  Simply because of numbers.    

Now, lets look at Skips class numbers  according to 247.  2010 =  20, 2011 = 21, 2012 = 18.  Skips average class size = 19.6.    Willies numbers, 2013 = 24, 2014 = 28.  Willies average class size = 26 

Even when compared to our conference, the only thing that pushes us so high in rankings is that fact we are signing so many dang kids.

Willie is not a bad recruiter, I think he is an average recruiter.  If he was really that great, we would be blowing away the competition (our current conference) in quality of recruit.  I could care less about numbers.   

Maybe my point is lost trying to say that WIllie is no better than Skip at recruiting, fine, uncle, I give, Willie is better, but it sure ain't by a lot.  If Skip was a bad recruiter, Willie is average.

On last view.

USF has lead the AAC in recruiting per 247 (talent Wise) the last two years under WIllie.  2013 #1 USF = 83.02, #2 = 82.59, #3 82.22...   2014 #1 USF = 84.22, 83.71, 81.08...  Simply put, we are not exactly out performing the conference by a GREAT number.  So, are all of the other coaches in the AAC GREAT recruiters?  Further, different recruiting services did not place USF classes in the #1 position in these years, so there is that.  I think USF, the stadium, location, academics, etc.. really sells itself.  I am sure Willie road the "new coach, come make a difference, turn things around" hype machine and maybe he sold it good.  But, I think any other average coach would have done the same.   

I don't think there would be a major difference if Skip was still here recruiting wise. I think the difference is 2-3 players each recruiting class (not additional quantity, but better quality players) that is different and every year that happens it adds up and will make a major difference IF Taggart can show he can coach or we bring in a good coach next year if he can't get the job done this year. For example Taggart brings in Marlon Mack, Holtz brought in Willie Davis, or Michael Pierre. You think if Skip Holtz was still our coach last year we steal Marlon Mack from Michigan/Louisville? I certainly don't. 

You're choosing to ignore a lot of things. Go read any articles on Willie Taggart and they'll talk about how good of a recruiter he is. From where you're standing you think all of them are lying and not one has a clue? 

Taggart's last year at WKU they had a recruiting class ranking of 76 per Rivals. That means 52 teams had a recruiting class worse than Western Kentucky. Do you not realize how impressive that is? Holtz just lost in the conference USA championship game and had a recruiting class ranked 78 per Rivals. 

You remember that Taggart pulled in a top 40 class after our team - USF, was dropped to G5 and went 2-10 right? Does that register with you? That is unbelievable. Most coaches in that situation would be lucky to pull in a top 80 class. There's another piece of evidence that he's one hell of a recruiter. By the way, UCF won a BCS game that year. Their class was ranked 74 with an average star rating of 2.65. Ours ranked 39 with an average star rating of 2.89. 

I get your point with the quantity that plays into the rankings, but you're choosing to look away at a lot of other things. Our program is an absolute wreck and he's pulling in the #1 or #2 class regardless of how it's determined in our conference. If he's able to get it figured out and get us on the right track that's when you'll see him blow away the conference. His recruiting hasn't paid off to this point yet, because all those guys are very young and a lot of them have red shirted so they haven't seen any playing time yet (Jimmy Bayes, Elkanah Dillon, Vincent Jackson Jr, Benjamin Knox) or red shirted and only seen a year of playing time. I do agree that if you can recruit like a beast, but you don't have a coach to coach them up it's all for nothing.

You don't think he's a great recruiter, fine. However, you would be silly to disagree with the notion that he's done a FANTASTIC job recruiting given the state of our program. Coaching is another issue, but recruiting he's done better than I think anyone could've asked for up to this point.

Ron Zook 2.0 in the house.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Matter of perspective

On last view.

I don't think there would be a major difference if Skip was still here recruiting wise. I think the difference is 2-3 players each recruiting class (not additional quantity, but better quality players) that is different and every year that happens it adds up and will make a major difference IF Taggart can show he can coach or we bring in a good coach next year if he can't get the job done this year. For example Taggart brings in Marlon Mack, Holtz brought in Willie Davis, or Michael Pierre. You think if Skip Holtz was still our coach last year we steal Marlon Mack from Michigan/Louisville? I certainly don't. 

You're choosing to ignore a lot of things. Go read any articles on Willie Taggart and they'll talk about how good of a recruiter he is. From where you're standing you think all of them are lying and not one has a clue? 

Taggart's last year at WKU they had a recruiting class ranking of 76 per Rivals. That means 52 teams had a recruiting class worse than Western Kentucky. Do you not realize how impressive that is? Holtz just lost in the conference USA championship game and had a recruiting class ranked 78 per Rivals. 

You remember that Taggart pulled in a top 40 class after our team - USF, was dropped to G5 and went 2-10 right? Does that register with you? That is unbelievable. Most coaches in that situation would be lucky to pull in a top 80 class. There's another piece of evidence that he's one hell of a recruiter. By the way, UCF won a BCS game that year. Their class was ranked 74 with an average star rating of 2.65. Ours ranked 39 with an average star rating of 2.89. 

I get your point with the quantity that plays into the rankings, but you're choosing to look away at a lot of other things. Our program is an absolute wreck and he's pulling in the #1 or #2 class regardless of how it's determined in our conference. If he's able to get it figured out and get us on the right track that's when you'll see him blow away the conference. His recruiting hasn't paid off to this point yet, because all those guys are very young and a lot of them have red shirted so they haven't seen any playing time yet (Jimmy Bayes, Elkanah Dillon, Vincent Jackson Jr, Benjamin Knox) or red shirted and only seen a year of playing time. I do agree that if you can recruit like a beast, but you don't have a coach to coach them up it's all for nothing.

You don't think he's a great recruiter, fine. However, you would be silly to disagree with the notion that he's done a FANTASTIC job recruiting given the state of our program. Coaching is another issue, but recruiting he's done better than I think anyone could've asked for up to this point.

Yeah, there's a ton of stuff you can criticize Taggart for but recruiting is certainly not one of them.   He has a basement dwelling team recruiting with the top portion of the conference.  It's even more impressive if you take into account how bad the team has looked at times on the field.  He's getting kids with better offers to come here even after seeing how ugly things are on Saturdays.  This will be the season where you can truly start to judge his player development as well as nearly all of the starters will be his players that he recruited and developed.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Yeah you can't knock him for recruiting, but then again who's quarterback is everyone so excited to be returning to USF?

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Yeah you can't knock him for recruiting, but then again who's quarterback is everyone so excited to be returning to USF?

Taggarts, seeing as how he's the one who actually got him to come to USF.....

• Upvote 1