• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ole Miss Replacement HC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

Strong has yet to coach a game and is already coming up as a potential replacement for the Ole Miss position after the resignation of Hugh Freeze.

https://www.redcuprebellion.com/2017/7/21/16007192/ole-miss-football-head-coach-hot-board-charlie-strong-mike-norvell-bryan-harsin-usf-memphis-boise

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Not necessarily gone.  He has an ability to bring up his win loss record almost blindfolded this season.  And hes getting compensated by two schools right now at about 5mil per year.  I dont see it .  2 weeks before camp.  Reporters are idiots for suggesting it IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343

5 minutes ago, usfbullrider said:

Not necessarily gone.  He has an ability to bring up his win loss record almost blindfolded this season.  And hes getting compensated by two schools right now at about 5mil per year.  I dont see it .  2 weeks before camp.  Reporters are idiots for suggesting it IMO.

They said 2018, not this season.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

4 minutes ago, usfbullrider said:

Those aren't reporters any more than we are ... Like 08 said, it's for 2018 and it's just like one of our threads for a new coach.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233

4 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

They said 2018, not this season.

I still don't see it and here's why; If USF does go undefeated this year, Chances are that either the American gets told they're in for a huge raise or realignment wheels spin again. Either way, USF will move towards a destination job in my humble opinion. If CCS is smart, he sits three years and reaps the rewards of a long term contract and stability for his family.

Edited by Azmodi

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

Red Cup Rebellion, of the SB Nation family, threw up the standard names as replacements after this season. The thing is who really wants to take a job that is still under NCAA Investigation? That thins the herd a bit until a final decision is made. This isn't a situation where the money is a huge driving force, a la Matt Rhule going to Baylor while still awaiting NCAA punishment. Strong is getting his salary subsidized by Texas the next two years, so he's still making P5 money; and doesn't have to play Saban every year. From a strictly financial standpoint it doesn't really behoove Strong to leave before the Texas money dries up. He can make P5 money while coaching in a favorable conference, padding his resume (assuming he is looking ahead to move back to a P5 job)

Of course a part of me hears him talking about taking this program to the next level and really wants it to be true that he puts his roots down.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343

4 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

I still don't see it and here's why; If USF does go undefeated this year, Chances are that either the American gets told they're in for a huge raise or realignment wheels spin again. Either way, USF will move towards a destination job in my humble opinion. If CCS is smart, he sits three years and reaps the rewards of a long term contract and stability for his family.

Phew, I think all of that is a stretch.

We need about a decade or so worth of winning IMO. I know it's not a perfect comparison, but I like to think we are in similar situation as TCU was in the late 90's. Second tier school in a good football state who can get some athletes(minus the long history of TCU). We need to find our Gary Patterson and win for about a decade before we can sniff becoming a destination job.

If we get triple the TV contract money in 2020 we sit around 10 million per school. That is close to half what the BIG 12 got for each school received last year and IIRC lower than our BIG EAST days. I'm not sure a huge raise would be enough to helps things.

As for Strong, I think his most important job is finding a QB after Flowers. If he can't win after QF leaves he won't win many games and then he is gone. And if he gets fired from here he can join Skip in CUSA. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, USFBULL_08 said:

We need about a decade or so worth of winning IMO. I know it's not a perfect comparison, but I like to think we are in similar situation as TCU was in the late 90's. Second tier school in a good football state who can get some athletes(minus the long history of TCU). We need to find our Gary Patterson and win for about a decade before we can sniff becoming a destination job.

If we get triple the TV contract money in 2020 we sit around 10 million per school. That is close to half what the BIG 12 got for each school received last year and IIRC lower than our BIG EAST days. I'm not sure a huge raise would be enough to helps things.

As for Strong, I think his most important job is finding a QB after Flowers. If he can't win after QF leaves he won't win many games and then he is gone. And if he gets fired from here he can join Skip in CUSA. 

That's correct, next year is the year where the staff needs to rove themselves. However with Kean and Chris O I believe they are in  hands. And if Octavius Battle stays committed this cycle, we are looking pretty good at the position.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233

5 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

1, If you think the realignment wheel is a decade off, you'll be blindsided along with the rest of the Big 12 crowd.

2, Strong will be here for at least three years unless Miami opens up.

3, If you look at what is in play with TV rights and Live sports content right now, you'll see that either the American gets a huge step up or it gets obliterated. It will be one or the other.

4, USF already has two QB's on it's roster not named Flowers, that can win and win now.

Edited by Azmodi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1