• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Paul Dawson, OLB, Sebastian River 2016

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

18 hours ago, jg233 said:

We are at least 4 deep at each of the two LB positions and no I'm not counting guys that play DE.  I'm sure we will still sign at least one mlb and olb in this class as well.  If everyone stays and we sign Micario Stanley we will have 5 middle backers alone and none being seniors plus Harris, Bayes, Brown and Sawtelle at weakside.  Josh Black is also still there too potentially.

Black is at the Bull position, which is exactly why I counted it. Every player there has been a converted LB, I'm not sure why you would not consider that in recruiting. People call the system a 4-2-5 but it really isn't... more like a hybrid 3-3-5 when you put LBs at the end position. Whether that's a good idea (as usfbullrider mentions) I don't know, but that's how they've been filling that spot.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  178
  • Days Won:  0

It seems like we are not recruiting the type of LBers this year that would convert to the Bull position.  I wonder if there is a connection between Andre Polk committing and this kid backing out.  We have a few guys at the Bull position right now, looking at he roster we had a huge class of DEs and LBers last year.  

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  2

9 hours ago, SaltyBulls said:

It seems like we are not recruiting the type of LBers this year that would convert to the Bull position.  I wonder if there is a connection between Andre Polk committing and this kid backing out.  We have a few guys at the Bull position right now, looking at he roster we had a huge class of DEs and LBers last year.  

Polk looks like a husky type to me.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  178
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, jg233 said:

Polk looks like a husky type to me.

I forget where I saw it but I read somewhere that he was being looked at as a MLBer.  He is one of those in-between body sizes like Jimmy Bayes though.  I guess it all depends on if the staff invasions him putting weight on well or not.  It has been a long time since I could say this but I have faith in the decisions this staff makes on players.  

In my opinion, this class will either blow up at the end and be great like 2 years ago or just be an average class.  There seems to be a lot of guys (high stars) that have us on their short list that are waiting for who knows what.  I imagine the staff has their second options waiting, I like that we have enough depth now to really swing for the fences.