• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women Basketball Discussion (Posts pulled from another thread)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The 10 best intramural players at USF would beat this women's basketball team - that's not sexist - that's keeping it real. If we were a school of maybe 5,000, I'd digress. We have 50,000 students and finding 10 stud basketball players would not be challenging. Heck, we had multiple football players when I played that were stud basketball players in their own right - but they stuck to football. Tell me how a female on the women's team would stop Marquel Blackwell at the point and Anthony Henry in the low post on the basketball court - because both were excellent players in their own right and Henry had a 45" vertical while standing 6'2" and weighing 210 lbs. They were also very well conditioned. Most of us are couch potatoes in our message board posting days now - but when I was at USF, I could run a marathon as well as knock out a 4.5 - 40 yard. There's is a ton of talent on the IM basketball court - you have to look past the frat boys and their little brotherhood tourneys.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

The 10 best intramural players at USF would beat this women's basketball team - that's not sexist - that's keeping it real. If we were a school of maybe 5,000, I'd digress. We have 50,000 students and finding 10 stud basketball players would not be challenging. Heck, we had multiple football players when I played that were stud basketball players in their own right - but they stuck to football. Tell me how a female on the women's team would stop Marquel Blackwell at the point and Anthony Henry in the low post on the basketball court - because both were excellent players in their own right and Henry had a 45" vertical while standing 6'2" and weighing 210 lbs. They were also very well conditioned. Most of us are couch potatoes in our message board posting days now - but when I was at USF, I could run a marathon as well as knock out a 4.5 - 40 yard. There's is a ton of talent on the IM basketball court - you have to look past the frat boys and their little brotherhood tourneys.  

And your point?  These women are beating all but the top 10 women's programs this year for the most part.

Edited by CousinRicky

It was a 4.59 to be exact... faster than many, but still slower than a lot of players out there. Kawika Mitchell was actually faster on the stop watch - which still blows my mind. Hugh Smith and Ronald Michel were the fastest two players out there if I recall correctly - both very low 4.4's. They could fly.

By the way, when I was talking IM's - you're probably correct. I'll clarify my stance though as many of the guys I played ball with didn't play IM's because it wasn't highly publicized when I was in school unless you were in the frats. When I would hit the rec for hoops around 4 PM, there were many players that could ball at levels that would earn them a spot on our men's team (and the men's team was good then). It doesn't take anything away from the women - I'm just stating there is definitely a gender difference on the court even if we had 10 Courtney Williams' playing (closest thing to a guy's skills that I've seen play for USF - her game is legit).

For those joining this thread - I posted my original response to a comment that never made it to this page - without that comment, it makes me look like I have something against our women's team which is totally the opposite - ask my wife who is sick of me taking two hours of our day to watch them play when I could be having family time with her and our daughter. Go Bulls! Beat the 'Ville. See this thread if you don't have faith in your fellow Bulls alumnus and the love I have for our ladies...

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/conversation?gameId=400785718 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

For those joining this thread - I posted my original response to a comment that never made it to this page - without that comment, it makes me look like I have something against our women's team which is totally the opposite - ask my wife who is sick of me taking two hours of our day to watch them play when I could be having family time with her and our daughter. Go Bulls! Beat the 'Ville. See this thread if you don't have faith in your fellow Bulls alumnus and the love I have for our ladies...

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/conversation?gameId=400785718 

That was my bad. I went back to see what triggered it and totally missed it ..... which is why you should always Quote when in direct response to a post ... especially one on a previous page.

Here's the trigger:

I still laugh at the notion that some on this board have characterized it as intramural like and that a team of the best intramural players at USF (men) could beat our women.  They'd be gassed in the first ten minutes.

Thanks Triple B for clarifying... I have close to 7,500 posts and I still struggle quoting, posting photos, etc.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

No doubt in my mind you could find 10 guys not on any athletic scholarship here and put them against the womens team and they'd dominate. 

The men ability to dominate on the glass and run the floor would be too much. Look at the women's roster and like half the team is between 5'5 and 5'8. The size and athleticism gap would just be too much.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

for all practical purposes mens and womens basketball are really two different sports because they are played at such different skill levels

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

No doubt in my mind you could find 10 guys not on any athletic scholarship here and put them against the womens team and they'd dominate maybe win one game in ten

The men ability to dominate on the glass and run the floor would be too much. Look at the women's roster and like half the team is between 5'5 and 5'8. The size and athleticism gap would just be too much.

You're right about the athleticism, but it's the ladies who would be running rings around the men. Remember, we're talking about male students not a part of any official athletics team (I'm including walkons and schollie players).

These ladies run the court full speed for 40 minutes. Very few BMOC's could ever keep up with them

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

for all practical purposes mens and womens basketball are really two different sports because they are played at such different skill levels

Have to agree with smazz on this one...