• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Flower's Blossoming?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

How does QF compare to BJ in running ability?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

So does Flowers' issues with long balls raise red flags, or is the offense being tailored to be more spread and utilize our speed and athleticism to garner YAC, and still provide some midrange passing pop to keep the running game effective in chunks? I know we're nothing like Oregon, but Mariota isn't a deep ball cannon arm either, so if QF is even 10% of Mariota's ability and the staff is utilizing him and tailoring this "spread" offense around him a little, then let's go with it. At the least, we could dink, dunk and run our way down the field and win time of possession. The problem with that is the red zone may be harder to score six in because we are a short passing spread team, but we may also excel better since we won't be known as that team who runs or bombs it and then can't get the final 5-10 yards when the defensive zone is tiny and easier to defend. Winning some ToP and putting points on the board is a start (hopefully someone fills in for Kloss decently), then we'll see if the defense can help us out. Those things coming together, hey we might win 5-6 games.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

How does QF compare to BJ in running ability?

I'd say they are actually pretty close.  He has that juke that BJ had.  He looks a little quicker in terms of lateral movement, he's more loose than BJ is in the hips.  But they are pretty much the same.  I think he is where BJ was during his second year of college... meaning I think he's around the same level was when BJ stepped in after Grothe was injured with one difference... I think Flowers seems to be a little better honestly at checking down to his TEs and RBs.... BJ would just break containment when the play wasn't working, Flowers keeps his eyes downfield even when he's runninghe throws a lot to his TEs and RBS... but I think that is a holdover from the west coast offense... and not a bad thing.  I think Flowers has the same upside and abilities BJ had with the one difference being that while Flowers is just as talented runner as BJ was, he actually wants to throw first.  Also I don't think the entire weight of the offense will be put on Flowers like it was BJ, no need he has Mack, Tice, and Johnson to help carry the load.  I have come around on Flowers because I didn't buy him as a QB when I saw him play last season.  Now?! I can see I was being a little presumptive and expecting too much from a first year kid.  He needed a redshirt, and basically it appears last season served as one though he played.  I'm sold on the kid... now my fear is the same fear I had going back to Daniels and Grothe... I just hope he stays healthy because so much depends on if he stays healthy. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

White throws the ball down field better than both bench and flowers. Bench is a blend of the two. Flowers has better ball handling skills but he relies on the check down too much IMO. Defenses will be able to shut him down if he cant threaten with a deep ball. He has lead several scoring drives so far. Probably just as many as Bench. Probably has less turnovers. Still plenty of time to figure out the deep ball.

So does Flowers' issues with long balls raise red flags, or is the offense being tailored to be more spread and utilize our speed and athleticism to garner YAC, and still provide some midrange passing pop to keep the running game effective in chunks? I know we're nothing like Oregon, but Mariota isn't a deep ball cannon arm either, so if QF is even 10% of Mariota's ability and the staff is utilizing him and tailoring this "spread" offense around him a little, then let's go with it. At the least, we could dink, dunk and run our way down the field and win time of possession. The problem with that is the red zone may be harder to score six in because we are a short passing spread team, but we may also excel better since we won't be known as that team who runs or bombs it and then can't get the final 5-10 yards when the defensive zone is tiny and easier to defend. Winning some ToP and putting points on the board is a start (hopefully someone fills in for Kloss decently), then we'll see if the defense can help us out. Those things coming together, hey we might win 5-6 games.

I think it's just a timing thing right now and I notice the coaches are emphasizing taking what they give you so they really haven't gone deep a lot.  Now don't get me wrong... he and Bench have hit a couple of long ones.  But I did notice this.  After Flowers threw a stupid int a couple of days ago, he actually listened to the coach and only went deep when he had it.  Bench still has a tendency to fling a couple long.  White... well he is exactly the same as last season.  Nothing at all has changed, which is not good.

I think our WRs are in a position to surprise us.  They are showing flashes... just haven't been consistent but they are all young so I'd expect it a little.  We do need some shake and bake though.  That's how Taggart described a couple of the guys coming in... I can't remember his name though.  But we should be straight at WR.  While there are still a few drops, it is not at all like last season.  It's just because of last season, every time someone drops something, you're like uuuggghhh!!.. lol

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

There is no way we can assess his scrambling ability since they are wearing red shirts. Comparing him to BJ or Matt at this point you've got to be high.

One thing to note.  I'm a CJL guy.  I started at USF in 2007 and knew I was going there in 2006.  That's how long I've been bleeding green and gold.  When we hired Skip I gave it a year... even went to watch us play Clemson in the last bowl we went to.  After that game I remember thinking, wow!  I thought we were on our way.  I actually traveled to Pitt in 2011 when we were ranked 13th in the country and coming off a big win over Notre Dame.  I remember leaving that stadium and saying the wheels have fell off, I thought we needed to fire Holtz.  I tortured through that season and watched us get worst.  I lost all interest in what was going on with USF football.  I use to be on the old Auman blog and I followed recruiting.  But then I didn't.  I did not believe in anything that was going on with the program until Taggart took over.  

TBO, for full disclosure I wanted someone else.  I didn't expect anything the first season.  I knew a few guys who were on the team and I did not think they looked like football players.  It was ridiculous to think we'd win games.  Last season was sketchy.  I started watching them again and even went to a few games.  This season after checking out the first couple of practices I feel differently.  I like what Taggart has done.  The guys once again look like football players.  These guys aren't passive like they were during the Holtz years.  I've been impressed and their is a quiet confidence around the guys.  So much so that I'm interested again.  I'm here blogging about USF football and it's not to complain.  I think many will be surprised this season.

So my opinions of what I see come from that background.  I finally think we are better.  A lot better.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I wish I could drink the koolaid, but it's wait & see for me. Still the rest of spring, summer & fall camp to go. I hope we're starting at a higher level and will end at a much higher level before the season starts, but man it's hard to forget McNeese and the confidence we had going into that game.

• Upvote 3

There is no way we can assess his scrambling ability since they are wearing red shirts. Comparing him to BJ or Matt at this point you've got to be high.

What I'm saying is at this point in their careers.  Flowers is going into his second year, Grothe and Daniels both redshirted... so I'm treating Flowers first year as a redshirt... he's about even.  Nobody knew what Grothe or Daniels could do at this point.  THis was their first spring and neither did spectacular.  So how am I high for comparing them?  I actually saw them in spring ball and Flowers compares.  

I wish I could drink the koolaid, but it's wait & see for me. Still the rest of spring, summer & fall camp to go. I hope we're starting at a higher level and will end at a much higher level before the season starts, but man it's hard to forget McNeese and the confidence we had going into that game.

I'm just saying I think they can be decent and I'm actually interested in the program again.  Nothing more.  I finally feel like they are worth following.  That's it.  I'm not selling anything.  I'm am genuinely optimistic and plan on securing my season tickets.  I think they are worth a watch.