• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Offensive Scheme Debate

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  7
  • Days Won:  0

I know people have talked about it in the past but I wanted to get opinions on this topic. Clearly USF's offense has struggled the past 2 years under the "pro-style" offense and that could be attributed to lack of talent, wrong type of players for the system, learning curve, execution, QB ability, or all of the above. Florida has tried to do the same under Muschamp for even longer now and has not been able to gain any consistency. With the types of recruits that the state of Florida churns out each year mixed with most high schools now running spread systems, can USF run a successful "pro-style" offense or are they better fit to run the spread? Do you think if Flowers gets more playing time that Taggart will adjust the offense to cater to his skills and be more of a spread style?

Personally I go back and forth on the topic because USF has more access to players that fit the spread but I think a lot of the fan base is probably now jaded towards the pro-style because we have been so inefficient at it. I know it hasn't been a full two years yet under the system and most of the guys we have are still new to it but it makes you wonder if we would have more success right now if we had recruited and implemented a spread offense during that time.

What is everyone's thought on this?

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,430
  • Days Won:  19

Taggart is dead set on his offensive scheme

He will not adjust, even to save his job

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I honestly don't get why people think that all we have to do is switch to a spread passing attack and all will be good with our offense.

Our QBs aren't very accurate and imagine if we went to our 4th and 5th receivers. Our top 3 have trouble catching balls now and we want to bring two less talented on the field.

Personally i like using a FB. Swanson is talented. I want him on the field more.

I also think using TEs allow you to do much more with an offense. there is a reason why TEs are all the rage in the NFL now. they are supposed to create mismatches.

Unfortunately Our line needs all the blocking help they can get. Our QBs would get killed without the help from FB and TEs.

I'm with Sanjay. Play calling is suspect at times and I also would like them to attack the edges with our speed more often. It doesn't make sense to keep running up the middle with 8 or 9 300 pounders in there if you don't have a dominant o-line. I think the scheme is fine but the execution by both players and coaches has been terrible.

Now defnse is another story. I can't stand not being aggressive on defense. They don't even threaten to bring pressure. at least make the QB think we are going to come at him.QBs stand back there all day and pick apart secondary because we always rush 3(sometimes 4 when there are 4 downlinemen like last week)  and almost always play off the recevers. That QB last week was a converted WR/kick returner in his 3rd start. We should have blitzed the hell out of him and stuffed the run. We just rushed 4 and dropped back on our heels all game.we let them be more aggressive.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Either way, the line has to execute their assignments. That's not happening right now.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  7
  • Days Won:  0

Those are all good points but I guess I was asking more as a hypothetical of USF and geographical area and players that are available versus the current players on the roster. There are a lot of reasons that the offense isn't clicking right now there isn't anything we can do about it with the current players.

I guess what I mean is with the players in the state of Florida and the styles that most high schools run, do you think it would have been best for USF to continue to try and run the spread (although Skip's Holtz's offenses didn't have much of an identity) and recruit for that versus bringing in the pro-style mentality and recruiting for that? USF has to rely on Florida for the majority of their recruiting and Florida high school football is built on speed so there aren't as many players around that fit the scheme. Not to mention when they are, we don't exactly have our pick at them.

Do you think recruiting to the spread style is more beneficial for the program of USF as a whole because it is more readily available in the area?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

Cue up the John McKay response re: the execution of the offense. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Those are all good points but I guess I was asking more as a hypothetical of USF and geographical area and players that are available versus the current players on the roster. There are a lot of reasons that the offense isn't clicking right now there isn't anything we can do about it with the current players.

I guess what I mean is with the players in the state of Florida and the styles that most high schools run, do you think it would have been best for USF to continue to try and run the spread (although Skip's Holtz's offenses didn't have much of an identity) and recruit for that versus bringing in the pro-style mentality and recruiting for that? USF has to rely on Florida for the majority of their recruiting and Florida high school football is built on speed so there aren't as many players around that fit the scheme. Not to mention when they are, we don't exactly have our pick at them.

Do you think recruiting to the spread style is more beneficial for the program of USF as a whole because it is more readily available in the area?

there are different versions of the spread. I assume you mean an air raid type where you spread 4 or 5 wide receivers out. If that's the case the only difference in personnel is more wide receivers and  no TEs and FBs. I guess you could recruit smaller linemen for a spread. I think either offense would prefer speedy skill position players so I'm not sure players are suited for one offense and not another. I'd agree that we should stay away from option QBs to run a pro-style. generally they are not good passers.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Cue up the John McKay response re: the execution of the offense. 

I think that was on off-camera interview - don't think there's any video to cue up...