• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Talent vs Scheme

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Some posters have said this offense takes elite talent and will never work at USF...

But if we examine Taggart's recruiting we see clearly he is bringing in superior talent. With that in mind why wouldn't his offense work considering Taggart is on track to crush the rest of the conference on the recruiting trail? Relative to our AAC peers we will have elite talent.

I think it's pretty weak argument to say his offense will never work because USF can't get elite players. If anyone is going to be bringing in elite players in this conference it is going to be Taggart.

You really have to give him 3-4 seasons to recruit if you say he needs more talent instead jumping the gun and saying his offense will never work because USF will never have talented enough players.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

USF could have easily been sitting here at 2-0. Now are 1-1! Humbled. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

I believe the offense can and will work. My question, now in year 2, is at what point does the coaching staff say it is more about wins right now than sticking to their guns until the offense develops to the degree we want it to?

There are enough playmaker/athletes on the field right now, perhaps more than at any time on the offensive side of the ball at USF. Get Davis back on the field, Adams, the young receivers, 2 proven TEs, talented (although young and unproven) running back depth.

I believe there is no reason this offense can't win enough games to make a bowl this year.

If the coaching staff needs to go to more of a hybrid offense rather than a purely a power run offense then do it. The personnel on the OL is probably even more built for that rather than a power run game as most were originally recruited as spread O lineman. Even our current QB situation, with White out and Bench and Flowers the available guys.

With attendance plummeting and the interest level and patience of most fans sinking quickly the only thing that should matter is winning right now. No matter what form of offense it takes. The playmakers are here. Good enough to get to 6 wins. The power O does not need to be abandoned. There is no reason it can't be adjusted slightly until all the right pieces are in place.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687

I believe the offense can and will work. My question, now in year 2, is at what point does the coaching staff say it is more about wins right now than sticking to their guns until the offense develops to the degree we want it to?

There are enough playmaker/athletes on the field right now, perhaps more than at any time on the offensive side of the ball at USF. Get Davis back on the field, Adams, the young receivers, 2 proven TEs, talented (although young and unproven) running back depth.

I believe there is no reason this offense can't win enough games to make a bowl this year.

If the coaching staff needs to go to more of a hybrid offense rather than a purely a power run offense then do it. The personnel on the OL is probably even more built for that rather than a power run game as most were originally recruited as spread O lineman. Even our current QB situation, with White out and Bench and Flowers the available guys.

With attendance plummeting and the interest level and patience of most fans sinking quickly the only thing that should matter is winning right now. No matter what form of offense it takes. The playmakers are here. Good enough to get to 6 wins. The power O does not need to be abandoned. There is no reason it can't be adjusted slightly until all the right pieces are in place.

I have to agree with this because wins will affect recruiting. Wins now will help Taggart recruit and then continue to mold the team as he wishes as he gets the players he needs. If taggart doesn't produce wins he'll have a harder time recruiting and will not get his offense off the ground.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

I agree with you two….need to worry about getting wins….Not getting six wins will be a big time disappointment  

Recruiting will only get better if he can show recruits his plan to rebuild USF is on track.

I really believe that in his short time here Taggart has built the most talent and depth on offense that we have ever had at the skill positions. In the past we either relied on the one dimensional Offense built around Hall at RB and then after that it was really about what Grothe could do or BJ. Not so. We have depth and talent everywhere.

I will even give Skip his due with Davis, McFarland and Price.

Team is still too young to win 9-10 games, but good enough for a bowl. Then Taggart can build from there.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Depends on your view of the offense "working". I don't think it'll ever be a really good offense. Average? Sure. Unless Taggart pulls out a diamond in the rough like a Blake Bortles which isn't impossible, just not going to hold my breath on it.

Edited by USFbulls24

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Depends on your view of the offense "working". I don't think it'll ever be a really good offense. Average? Sure. Unless Taggart pulls out a diamond in the rough like a Blake Bortles which isn't impossible, just not going to hold my breath on it.

This offense could be sick with a Grothe or Daniels, we got them in the past I don't see why Taggart could pull in a good QB in 

the future.

His old QB at WKU is like number 3 in the nation in passing yards.

The guy can recruit give it time…Rome wash't built overnight. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade

But why does it need be so oriented to downfield passing and straight ahead running.

Look at the changes that Maryland made when they were getting stymied. They hit a few quick passes on the edges. They ran a few options.

Just looks to me that the way we are running the offense so far it is based on the OL needing to overpower the DL. Stretch the defense out horizontally a bit the middle will have enough holes Use our athleticism if that is our strength right now.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I want flowers to RS this year but looking ahead:

I'm confused about flowers. Great job recruiting him. He's a fantastic talent... are we really going to try to force the guy to play pro style qb?