• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The NCAA Just Got Bent

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^***

Did you just post in complete sentences?

I think he was so pissed he went and bought a new keyboard.

But universities can just use genetic players on promotions and not pay anything correct?

Until the public school players unionize and strike. Stop screwing the players. No one goes to a football game to watch the millionaire coaching staff. ESPN doesn't pay millions per school for the rights to watch a coach scream.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciajessop/2013/08/31/the-economics-of-college-football-a-look-at-the-top-25-teams-revenues-and-expenses/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/19/ncaa-college-football-head-coach-salary-database/1715543/

Uhh, I am not screwing the players. I could care less really.

No, you're just thinking of ways to screw them. Got it. LOL

Schools already compensate the players with tuition, housing, meals, books, laptops easily worth 80,000+.... The players are being compensated by schools and I see nothing wrong with the use of their likeness being apart of the deal players sign up for when they accept their scholarship. Now outside entities like EA sports probably should have to compensate the players if they want to use their likeness. The universities however already do compensate players, it's just not in the form of cash, but it is sure worth a lot.

And go to the chart. Football and basketball players at USF alone, while in the Big East, AFTER tuition were bringing in $300-400k per player during their career in tv revenue alone. So yes, they were compensated, but even at $80k they still are under compensated. It's like you getting paid $5 an hour. Yes you are compensated, but not at a fair rate. D1 football is a multi BILLION dollar industry. Billion. It's a cash cow. Why do you think there are so many start up teams?
My company makes 200,000 to 300,000 per employee for some employees but it is not pure proftis and most employres may not see even 1/2 or 1/3 of it in their salaries, which also are not tax free. And this is a profitable business. Most athletic departments lose money so this TV revenue is not profit, it doesn't even cover the bills so the players should be glad they are getting compensated already. It would result in more student fees going to pay the players cash on top of already helping to pay their education and living expenses.

Players being able to accept outside sponsorships or charge for their likeness is a different issue. But as for the universities, I don't think they should be required to compensate the players more then they presently are for their likeness.

I wouldn't have a problem with compensating players as grad students are but grad student stipends are taxed and grad students don't get free food, housing, books and they are also on the hook for fees which are about 2-3k per year.

Why do athletic departments lose money? Football coaching salaries have outpaced corporate CEO salaries. That right there is a major reason Make football what it was, which wasn't a money chase. You didn't see schools traveling halfway across the country for in-conference games. Athletic departments spending needs to be reeled in. Bear Bryant, at the height of his popularity said, don't pay me more than the school president.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Schools already compensate the players with tuition, housing, meals, books, laptops easily worth 80,000+.... The players are being compensated by schools and I see nothing wrong with the use of their likeness being apart of the deal players sign up for when they accept their scholarship. Now outside entities like EA sports probably should have to compensate the players if they want to use their likeness. The universities however already do compensate players, it's just not in the form of cash, but it is sure worth a lot.

And go to the chart. Football and basketball players at USF alone, while in the Big East, AFTER tuition were bringing in $300-400k per player during their career in tv revenue alone. So yes, they were compensated, but even at $80k they still are under compensated. It's like you getting paid $5 an hour. Yes you are compensated, but not at a fair rate. D1 football is a multi BILLION dollar industry. Billion. It's a cash cow. Why do you think there are so many start up teams?
My company makes 200,000 to 300,000 per employee for some employees but it is not pure proftis and most employres may not see even 1/2 or 1/3 of it in their salaries, which also are not tax free. And this is a profitable business. Most athletic departments lose money so this TV revenue is not profit, it doesn't even cover the bills so the players should be glad they are getting compensated already. It would result in more student fees going to pay the players cash on top of already helping to pay their education and living expenses.

Players being able to accept outside sponsorships or charge for their likeness is a different issue. But as for the universities, I don't think they should be required to compensate the players more then they presently are for their likeness.

I wouldn't have a problem with compensating players as grad students are but grad student stipends are taxed and grad students don't get free food, housing, books and they are also on the hook for fees which are about 2-3k per year.

Why do athletic departments lose money? Football coaching salaries have outpaced corporate CEO salaries. That right there is a major reason Make football what it was, which wasn't a money chase. You didn't see schools traveling halfway across the country for in-conference games. Athletic departments spending needs to be reeled in. Bear Bryant, at the height of his popularity said, don't pay me more than the school president.

I don't disagree with you.

But they do not need to make a profit to operate. If they did, you would not see salaries and spending and the facilities where they are except maybe for a very few.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

But universities can just use genetic players on promotions and not pay anything correct?

Until the public school players unionize and strike. Stop screwing the players. No one goes to a football game to watch the millionaire coaching staff. ESPN doesn't pay millions per school for the rights to watch a coach scream.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciajessop/2013/08/31/the-economics-of-college-football-a-look-at-the-top-25-teams-revenues-and-expenses/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/19/ncaa-college-football-head-coach-salary-database/1715543/

Uhh, I am not screwing the players. I could care less really.

No, you're just thinking of ways to screw them. Got it. LOL
No, it was just a strategic question. Regardless if I could, I would pay them. But again, thanks for telling me how I think. LOL

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

This is what happens when the idea and reason behind a sport is corrupted with greed. And the student athlete was the last to get a piece of the money pie. They've done this on their own, what was set up was to benefit the schools and NCAA while screwing the students. How many degrees can you get with the billions that college football brings in during a year? They could have educated all of Africa last year. The "they get an education" is such a BS and illegal argument.

It COSTS tons of money to have these programs. Very few schools even make money on athletics, most lose a lot. Title IX means schools have to fund all the non-revenue sports as well with all the same perks. It's easy to throw the "billions$$" term around, but the vast majority of the schools aren't in the black.

Dude. please. The entire system has gone from it being something for the students to chasing the almighty dollar. The U.S. is the only country in the world that done this to college sports. If some can't afford the chase, they need to abandon it. But by basing the entire system on basically FREE labor, its a joke. And btw, when the schools get paid for televised rights, that's using their likeness. Its on TV.

You are spot on.

Maybe thinking the athletic department needs to turn a profit isn't the right attitude. Might be the entire reason for the current mess.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

This is what happens when the idea and reason behind a sport is corrupted with greed. And the student athlete was the last to get a piece of the money pie. They've done this on their own, what was set up was to benefit the schools and NCAA while screwing the students. How many degrees can you get with the billions that college football brings in during a year? They could have educated all of Africa last year. The "they get an education" is such a BS and illegal argument.

It COSTS tons of money to have these programs. Very few schools even make money on athletics, most lose a lot. Title IX means schools have to fund all the non-revenue sports as well with all the same perks. It's easy to throw the "billions$$" term around, but the vast majority of the schools aren't in the black.
Dude. please. The entire system has gone from it being something for the students to chasing the almighty dollar. The U.S. is the only country in the world that done this to college sports. If some can't afford the chase, they need to abandon it. But by basing the entire system on basically FREE labor, its a joke. And btw, when the schools get paid for televised rights, that's using their likeness. Its on TV.
You are spot on.
I don't watch Bulls games to watch a specific player. I watch to cheer for my university. Frankly, I couldn't give a crap less if they even mentioned a single player by name. I also go to our local high school football games and couldn't even tell you the name of any players. Edited by Sellular1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

It's the newly popular workers of the world mentality. 

You are spot on.
I don't watch Bulls games to watch a specific player. I watch to cheer for my university. Frankly, I couldn't give a crap less if they even mentioned a single player by name. I also go to our local high school football games and couldn't even tell you the name of any players.

:facepalm: