• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

if you were a student today what major would you choose

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  18
  • Days Won:  0

Long ago, in what seems like another lifetime, I graduated from  (what was then) St Petersburg JC with an AA degree - and dodged the draft  by entering the USAF, where I was trained as what would now be a combination paramedic & physician's assistant.     Came home from a war, and 4 months later was a Jr at USF, with no idea what I wanted to major in - other than I knew I didn't want to go to med school.  I'd had all of medicine I could handle (some of it still haunts me 40 years later).

So I took a major, that interested me, about as far from medicine as I could get - Political Science.  Never even gave a thought to whether it would lead to a job.  After graduation, got a job in an industry that only cared that I had a BA degree, in which I spent 7 years working.

Then on a bet, and with a hangover from getting good and drunk the night before, I took the LSAT - and won the bet by scoring  in the 90th percentile.  Next thing I know, I'm getting invites from law schools to apply.  30 years later, I'm about to retire from a legal career with the State.

I'm often asked what major I'd recommend for someone wanting to go to law school.  My first response - do something else instead.  Unless you are 'called' to the law - much like being 'called' to the priesthood - you aren't going to like being a lawyer. 

Second,  there are already too **** many lawyers - and not enough legal jobs.   So unless you want to do something else - and just also happen to have a law degree - don't assume you will be employable after law school.  For example - having a law degree, and being an attractive blond, seems to be a ticket to a job with Fox News !

Third, it doesn't really matter what undergrad major you choose - just do well in it.  Which is far easier if you are majoring in something you really enjoy, rather than a major you don't particularly like, but you think it will lead to a job.  My best friend in law school had a BA & MA in Fine Arts.

When I retire next year,  I'm planning on going back to USF for a Master's/Phd Degree in Political Science - maybe embarking on a teaching career - and having a law degree so I can handle my own traffic tickets.  But I haven't really decided, yet, what I want to do when I grow up.

Cool story

Unless you really want to go tenure track and teach full-time, you don't need to go back. Your JD is an acceptable terminal degree for many programs. Test the waters by adjuncting, It's a fun, low-risk way to find out how much you like teaching, and you don't need to wait until retirement. You can start in January if you find a school that needs you.

Good luck!

I appreciate your feedback.  I'm not looking for tenure track - I'm too old for that. 

I've been an Adjunct a couple of times in an undergard program related to my legal specialty, guest lectured at my alma mater law school, taught continuing legal education courses to other attorneys for 20 years, and published in my specialty - but I don't want to teach law anymore.  However,  because I don't have a graduate degree in Pol Sci, I'm told I can't evan teach  Intro to Government 101 in an accredited college!   :wtf:   I thought the legal profession was a closed shop!

My former law prof that I guest lecture for thinks it's because most of the Pol Sci faculty would be intimidated by my JD.  I hope that isn't true - but I'm not familiar with the personal dynamics of academia.  In my profession, success is determined by how you perform, not such extraneous BS.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Pretty surprised that a JD wouldn't qualify you for PolySci. I'd give it a shot, the worst they can do is say no.

I've taught in a bunch of different colleges, from for-profit to religious, with only an MBA - no terminal degree. They all have different "political" climates. In the last few years, accreditation seems to be more important, and there seems to be a push to use less adjuncts.

But in my field - strategy and entrepreneurship - the practical experience is far more important than the academic credentials, IMO. But not everyone agrees with me. Still, it's kept me busy, I've taught an average of 2+ classes/ per semester for the past 10 years.

As for "extraneousity", show me a law firm without corporate politics, and I'll show you a single lawyer with nothing but a shingle. LOL

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Mathematics then and would probably do again or possibly business.

Of course I never use my math degree now.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049

Serious question. Other than teaching math, what does a math degree qualify one for?

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

Serious question. Other than teaching math, what does a math degree qualify one for?

graduate school?

Actuary.

Coding.

Data Analysis for finance, hospitals, etc.

Pretty much anything involving large quantities of data.

Practice of law.

graduate school?

That too.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

I would still do pharmacy again. Especially now that USF has a college of pharmacy.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073

there are many opportunities for lawyers in California

if you work hard and put in the time to hone your skills

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

Got my bachelors degree in statistics and will be going back in the spring to get my masters in statistics