• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Patent Office Revokes Redskins Trademarks

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it is time to change the name but commissioner is owner's puppet

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049

Can they still use the name without trademark protections?

Yes, but so can anyone else, without fear of infringement penalties.

I see a "santorum" in their future ...

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

So T-Shirt and jersey makers have more freedom to create a much closer likeness without paying the NFL.  So it impacts NFL revenue.  As pointed out above some of the newer trademarks remain, but enough have been struck down that there will be $$$ impacts likely.  Unless, of course, an appeal is won.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I might shed a tear for Dan Snyder, but then I remember that as a non profit organization, NFL doesn't pay income tax. Then my sympathy turns to something in between indifference and annoyance.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

So T-Shirt and jersey makers have more freedom to create a much closer likeness without paying the NFL.  So it impacts NFL revenue.  As pointed out above some of the newer trademarks remain, but enough have been struck down that there will be $$$ impacts likely.  Unless, of course, an appeal is won.

Just wondering, I agree it will impact the NFL for sure, but obviously Snyder feels it the most.  Wonder how much the other owners will feel it?  Enough to put more pressure on Snyder to change the name?

Very interesting stuff.

I don't care and it doesn't offend me because I'm not native American, but the name is ridiculous nowadays. They're going to have to change it.

This is what I don't understand.  The team stinks right now so there isn't much to lose right now.  "Tradition" is a great thing and all.  But there is a lot more money in it for the team from Washington if they change the name.  New name, new cool logo and a bunch of fans buy new gear. 

There is no money in keeping the name, so I don't know why the team wants to fight it.

Even smarter would be to work with a native American tribe in the DC area to come up with something they will endorse.  Change the logo and name, get new revenue and get goodwill all at the same time.

Just wondering, I agree it will impact the NFL for sure, but obviously Snyder feels it the most.  Wonder how much the other owners will feel it?  Enough to put more pressure on Snyder to change the name?

Very interesting stuff.

From some of the interviews I heard this week, that is the goal of the group that took the complaint to the Trademark office.  It is a native American group.  Apparently the first lawyers had it struck down once back in 1999, but there were procedural issues that eventually led to that being struck down.  They now have some new attorneys all excited about taking this on, and the general feeling is that they presented a more thorough and compelling "case".  So the hope or feeling is that this one is much more likely to survive the appeals process.

In any case, it sounds like the goal of the action is to create economic disincentive for the team to keep the name.  Yeah, it's a pretty interesting strategy.  Especially in this case because, as you stated, they might be able to get other owners involved that could normally care less whether the team changes their name or not.  Even if the Redskins are willing to swallow a pay cut, other teams may not.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049

I don't care and it doesn't offend me because I'm not native American, but the name is ridiculous nowadays. They're going to have to change it.

This is what I don't understand.  The team stinks right now so there isn't much to lose right now.  "Tradition" is a great thing and all.  But there is a lot more money in it for the team from Washington if they change the name.  New name, new cool logo and a bunch of fans buy new gear. 

There is no money in keeping the name, so I don't know why the team wants to fight it.

Even smarter would be to work with a native American tribe in the DC area to come up with something they will endorse.  Change the logo and name, get new revenue and get goodwill all at the same time.

Or just move it to Los Angeles and change the name along the way ...

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Los Angeles will never get a team.  The NFL owners need L.A. as a landing spot to threaten their cities with if they don't get their way for new stadiums, revenue, etc. 

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

offending-trademarks.jpg