• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Any one in NC?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  0

My wife and I talked last night, and made a decision to relocate this summer to either NC or TN. She likes the idea of Raleigh area, or possibly Charlotte if we go to NC. I used to live in Fayetteville when I was in High School. Anyone from that area that can give some advice on a good area to live and raise our little Bulls?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,762
  • Days Won:  3

Why'd you pick NC? 

I grew up in Monroe, NC and try to get back there, at minimum, on an annual basis. The Charlotte of today is completely different than the Charlotte I knew. Raleigh/Durham is very nice.  Any thoughts on employment? 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I have to echo the thoughts on Charlotte... I was born in Matthews and it's mind blowing when I get back there these days. That said, I'd sacrifice alot for the opportunity to move back up there. Charlotte is and will always be considered home.

West from Charlotte to the mountains is very nice also. I'm not a big fan of the Raleigh area.... seems too crowded.

• Upvote 1

Why'd you pick NC?

I grew up in Monroe, NC and try to get back there, at minimum, on an annual basis. The Charlotte of today is completely different than the Charlotte I knew. Raleigh/Durham is very nice. Any thoughts on employment?

NC is where I spent the most time during my childhood/ teen years, so its more home to me. We originally considered Atlanta, but there's too much competition for my wife's business as a portait photographer. For employment, ideally I'll telecommute, but depenfs on the conversation with the boss after he gets back from vacation next week. Otherwise I'll look to transfer departments if I can. In that scenario, I'll have to be around Raleigh.

• Upvote 1

I have to echo the thoughts on Charlotte... I was born in Matthews and it's mind blowing when I get back there these days. That said, I'd sacrifice alot for the opportunity to move back up there. Charlotte is and will always be considered home.

West from Charlotte to the mountains is very nice also. I'm not a big fan of the Raleigh area.... seems too crowded.

I like Charlotte too, but Raleigh isnt too bad. So far for housing, my wife seems to be digging Clayton and Angier. I'm not as sold on Angier, since I grew up in Fayetteville and that's a bit too close for my liking with the kids to consider. My main thing is making sure I can secure employment that can support the family, so I can't go too far out. Otherwise, I end up missing out on time with the kids.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Don't forget Asheville - one of the top cultural meccas in NC.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Asheville is awesome.  Been there quite a bit and have some close friends that live there.  Like charsibb says, it's very cultural and diverse for being deep in the Appalachians (Smokies).  Great place to raise a family.  Atlanta is 3 hours south and Knoxville, TN is 2 hours west. 

My dad is an NC native and I have an aunt that lives in PGA golf country between Raleigh and Charlotte.  Both of those cities are fantastic ... haven't been to Raleigh in a while, but echoing what some above have said, Charlotte has a ton to offer families. 

An aunt of my wife's lives in the Triad area of Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, in a town called Kernersville.  Also a very nice area. 

NC is just one of those states you really can't go wrong in, if you're near a metro area. 

• Upvote 1

Ive given Asheville some thought need to look at job market if I end up not being able to telecommute/ transfer depts

Indeed that's why I prefer to go to NC given the choice. Already a pain to coordinate stuff being here in Tampa and not on vacation.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I moved to NC in 2002. I lived in Raleigh until 2011. Since 2011, I've lived in Charlotte.

I prefer charlotte. It aspires to be big, while Raleigh aspires to be small. Raleigh's aspirations always came off to me as annoying. It was a bunch of middle class white pricks that were trying to build man's latest attempt at paradise on earth. . . . . The result was generic.

charlotte is a real city. It was developed in large part by bankers who moved down from NYC. As a result it has many livable neighborhoods near the city. If that's not your thing, you can settle for lake living in the northern burbs or even being a "live free or die" type that commutes from the tax haven that is south Carolina.

I live in a part of charlotte called south park. Its a nice neighborhood about four miles.south of.uptown charlotte and six miles north of the sc line.

my recommendation is charlotte.

Edited by Carolina_Bull
  • Upvote 2