• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Any one in NC?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Days Won:  0

Grew up in Fayetteville and will never go back there.  I now live in Winston Salem and we love it. The city is just big enough and a good place to raise a family. Crime is very low.  I can get to Charlotte in an hr. Raleigh in and hr and Asheville in 2 hrs. Oh and Myrtle Beach in three. I think we have the best of all worlds here. Oh and housing prices here are awesome. Good public schools (Always depends on where you live).  Diverse community because of the Wake Forest Medical school. It brings people from all over the world.  It is an ecclectic bunch to say the least. No such thing as traffic here unless you are from here.  I can get anywhere in 15 minutes.

Edited by Bullrush33
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  98

Grew up in Fayetteville and will never go back there.  I now live in Winston Salem and we love it. The city is just big enough and a good place to raise a family. Crime is very low.  I can get to Charlotte in an hr. Raleigh in and hr and Asheville in 2 hrs. Oh and Myrtle Beach in three. I think we have the best of all worlds here. Oh and housing prices here are awesome. Good public schools (Always depends on where you live).  Diverse community because of the Wake Forest Medical school. It brings people from all over the world.  It is an ecclectic bunch to say the least. No such thing as traffic here unless you are from here.  I can get anywhere in 15 minutes.

Yeah, Fayetteville is a no go for me. I lived there from 10 - 17, and honestly, I'm lucky I made it out in one piece. Not a place I'm sure I even want to take my wife and daughters to show where I grew up. However, I did love Ft. Bragg. I lived across the street from the back end of post, which made life interesting. What's the job market like in Winston-Salem, since I have an odd feeling I'll be looking for new employment.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,803

Yeah, Fayetteville is a no go for me. I lived there from 10 - 17, and honestly, I'm lucky I made it out in one piece. Not a place I'm sure I even want to take my wife and daughters to show where I grew up. However, I did love Ft. Bragg. I lived across the street from the back end of post, which made life interesting. What's the job market like in Winston-Salem, since I have an odd feeling I'll be looking for new employment.

Yeah I was in Fayetteville from 86-93.   Took my wife there in 2005 at night time to show her my old house and we were chased by some hoodlums and luckily we got away.  I lived in Cliffdale West off of Cliffdale Rd.  As far as Winston Salem goes if you are a veteran you can apply to the Dept of Veteran Affairs to work at the regional office or at one of the clinics. We have one clinic in WInston Salem and the other is in Salisbury 30 minutes away. If you are a Vet you are considerend VRA eligible and should be able to get in (It does take some work but if you keep trying you will get in. Entry level is always easier to work your way up).  On the corporate side we have Wells Fargo, BB&T and and Two major hospitals. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I moved to NC in 2002. I lived in Raleigh until 2011. Since 2011, I've lived in Charlotte.

I prefer charlotte. It aspires to be big, while Raleigh aspires to be small. Raleigh's aspirations always came off to me as annoying. It was a bunch of middle class white pricks that were trying to build man's latest attempt at paradise on earth. . . . . The result was generic.

charlotte is a real city. It was developed in large part by bankers who moved down from NYC. As a result it has many livable neighborhoods near the city. If that's not your thing, you can settle for lake living in the northern burbs or even being a "live free or die" type that commutes from the tax haven that is south Carolina.

I live in a part of charlotte called south park. Its a nice neighborhood about four miles.south of.uptown charlotte and six miles north of the sc line.

my recommendation is charlotte.

Glad I'm not the only one that see's Raleigh that weigh.... the people there always strike me as stuck up snobs... it's like the Boston of the south.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I moved to NC in 2002. I lived in Raleigh until 2011. Since 2011, I've lived in Charlotte.

I prefer charlotte. It aspires to be big, while Raleigh aspires to be small. Raleigh's aspirations always came off to me as annoying. It was a bunch of middle class white pricks that were trying to build man's latest attempt at paradise on earth. . . . . The result was generic.

charlotte is a real city. It was developed in large part by bankers who moved down from NYC. As a result it has many livable neighborhoods near the city. If that's not your thing, you can settle for lake living in the northern burbs or even being a "live free or die" type that commutes from the tax haven that is south Carolina.

I live in a part of charlotte called south park. Its a nice neighborhood about four miles.south of.uptown charlotte and six miles north of the sc line.

my recommendation is charlotte.

Glad I'm not the only one that see's Raleigh that weigh.... the people there always strike me as stuck up snobs... it's like the Boston of the south.

I LOL'd

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

I'll be in NC turkey hunting in two weeks... nothing to do with the topic but just wanted to share :icon_drink:

My grandmother lives in Raleigh and I love that place. When I find something there off the Blackman family goes. :iconic_u_black:

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  98

Thanks for the advice everyone. We ended up decidong to wait a year, which is good since I wanted to make it to thw home games this season. We' re going up in June to scout around Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville, and Winston - Salem. Ideally, I'll find am acre or two and then build our house that way. I can really go either way on where to live since I love each area. Ought to be interesting to see what she thinks.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Thanks for the advice everyone. We ended up decidong to wait a year, which is good since I wanted to make it to thw home games this season. We' re going up in June to scout around Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville, and Winston - Salem. Ideally, I'll find am acre or two and then build our house that way. I can really go either way on where to live since I love each area. Ought to be interesting to see what she thinks.

Build one of these in your backyard while you're waiting, and you have a house ready to go when you get there!

http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/plans/free-plans/

I'm seriously considering this one.

http://cdn2.tinyhousedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/8x16-tiny-solar-house-plans-v2.pdf