• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Did you see B.J. Daniels yesterday?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

BJ showed himself to be plenty capable in preseason as a competent backup to these running QBs.  Kitna?  lol  You'd have to retool the entire offense and that would be a bigger drop off than sliding BJ in.  There's a lot of QBs doing well in the NFL who never did half of what BJ did in college and he didn't exactly have great talent around him.

Put him on a team with good coaching, decent line and people who can catch (any NFL squad would be better than what he saw while at USF) and he can definitely be an effective QB.  Will he be Peyton Manning?  Of course not.  But could he put points on the board as good as the majority of starters in this league?  Absolutely.  Go through guys who started games in the NFL this season and you'd be surprised how weak that list is.  Harbaugh and Carrol are very good judges of talent so it's no surprise they've kept BJ around.  BJ is a young player so he could easily "hang around" for a few seasons, build his knowledge of the game, work on the ability to read defenses, hone his mechanics etc. and then get a chance and have a strong career.  He'd still be younger than guys like Weinke when he came out of FSU. 

I believe if BJ stays on the roster next season and gets more preseason time he'll end up getting a chance somewhere.  He showed he's still explosive and the more time removed from that injury, the better physically he'll be. 

Look at all these QBs who actually played this year...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1904954-final-2013-nfl-season-qb-power-rankings

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I mentioned Kitna only because the Cowboys almost signed him when Romo went down, so he was the first free agent quarterback I could think of. But you're kidding yourself if you think a Super Bowl contender like the Seahawks would have finished the season with their practice squad quarterback. Zero percent chance of that ever happening regardless of who the player was, in my opinion. Maybe it would have been a trade rather than a free agent signing, who knows, but BJ Daniels: Seattle starting quarterback was the least likely result, should both of their top two options been hurt.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

At Seattle you were right, but had he stayed at SF?  He already knew that offense and had shown he could move the ball.  Like I said, look at that list and around the NFL and see how many guys are collecting checks at that position who don't have nearly the physical tools BJ has.  They just happened to get their chance which is half the battle.  It will be interesting to see how his career goes from here on out as he's finally getting some decent coaching. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

He was grateful and cashed in on the pre-season opportunity, out-performing Tolzien and competing with McCoy (looked better IMO). All he can do is his best, and maybe he gets a nod. But making 6K/wk is a pretty awesome consolation prize.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I know some here like to knock BJ and also the practice squad but this stint can only help him. Not sure if BJ ever wants to get into coaching but a year on an NFL practice squad, assuming it does not become more than that, will open some doors at high schools and lower level colleges.

Anyone knocking BJ as a practice squad member is a buffoon.  Even there, he's exceeded the expectations of everyone not named Daniels.

I'm proud of him, as Bull, putting the work in & being in a position to learn, and possibly play...but in any event, to possibly go to a Super Bowl (don't know if PS guys get a ring, but the trip alone would be awesome).

Of course...first, the Seahawks have to get past Leavitt & the 49ers. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I mentioned Kitna only because the Cowboys almost signed him when Romo went down, so he was the first free agent quarterback I could think of. But you're kidding yourself if you think a Super Bowl contender like the Seahawks would have finished the season with their practice squad quarterback. Zero percent chance of that ever happening regardless of who the player was, in my opinion. Maybe it would have been a trade rather than a free agent signing, who knows, but BJ Daniels: Seattle starting quarterback was the least likely result, should both of their top two options been hurt.

The Cowboys didn't almost sign Kitna, they did sign Kitna.  But they signed him to be a backup for one week, figuring the odds were stacked against him actually playing.  As a veteran that knew the Dallas system well, he was a good choice for a one week rental.  Any other QB would have either had to learn the Dallas offense or would have been thrust into their first game ever with the playoffs on the line.  If it was Week 1 or Week 8, they wouldn't have signed Kitna.