• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gee, I wonder who looks better to the Big12 right now......

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I bet that game didn't do as well in Alaska.

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Reminder, UCF had Culpepper and that did nothing for them.

We need to worry about us, not another team's Cinderella season.

Go ZBULLS !!!

Exactly! Whatever UCF did in the Fiesta bowl doesn't have any affect on USF whatsoever.

They won, good for them. In 2 years Bortles will be gone, O'leary may be retired and who knows what the on the field team will look like.

People just don't seem to get it. Conferences don't look solely at on the field performance. Especially, not a one year, best ever performance.

How UCF fans traveled to their biggest game ever and ratings for the game are more important to conference realignment. Their are a lot more factors that go into a big decision than one good year.

According to ESPN....

The Fiesta Bowl garnered a 7.1 overnight rating for Central Florida upending Baylor 52-42, up nine percent from the 2013 Orange Bowl, which aired in the corresponding day/time slot (6.5, Florida State defeating Northern Illinois 31-10). Orlando led all markets with a 17.4, the highest bowl overnight rating ever for an ESPN network in the market.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/01/double-digit-increase-for-rose-fiesta-bowls-combined-viewership/

You do understand that those big bold letters were talking only about Orlando, right?

Yes.  Kind of the whole point of a TV Market bringing in ratings.  When they're looking at a TV Market that a team is in, this kind of scale is a huge factor.  Had USF been in the same boat, I'm sure the Tampa TV market would have tuned in, as well.

Ahh.. good ol' deceptive marketing try.

Obviously you made sure not to emphasize the Orlando portion... to throw people off.

Because, basically ... no s***  that a home team would bring its biggest audience if its their biggest/most important game/appearance in their history.

I'm guessing that last year's Orange Bowl was the highest bowl overnight rating ever for an ESPN network in Dekalb so apparently NIU also has the inside track on the next P5 raid ....

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Last night's Fiesta Bowl was the most-watched 2014 Fiesta Bowl ever in the gobulls83 household.

But seriously, I'm glad GoldenBuc posted that. I didn't realize it, but I really needed the reminder that no matter what else happens, I'm still lucky I don't have to go through life as a UCF grad. How could someone read that and not realize it's meaningless? That's a UCF education for you.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

But seriously, I'm glad GoldenBuc posted that. I didn't realize it, but I really needed the reminder that no matter what else happens, I'm still lucky I don't have to go through life as a UCF grad. How could someone read that and not realize it's meaningless? That's a UCF education for you.

God bless him ... Goldie has been providing those type moments for years on here.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

Huge win for UCF tonight. Beat up on the Big12 Champion in a BCS bowl. If they do want that Florida footprint, I don't see any reason not to take UCF. Our 4 wins over UCF are ancient history now. Our 5k that shows up to our home games..with the faded Bucs logo on the field.. to watch us get trounced by the likes of Memphis and McNeese State won't have any marquee conference knocking at out door. Next year isn't looking all that great for us either, and we have a mostly unproven HC who we are stuck with, thanks to Skippy's undeserved extension. Funny that just a few years ago we broke off the rivalry with UCF to move on to bigger and better things.

I feAr you're right.

Winning and losing has next to nothing to do with it. It has been said a million, billion times, and still people throw it around. Rutgers is Rutgers. Pitt hadn't won anything meaningful in several years when they got invited. Cincinnati won back-to-back conference titles and are still in purgatory with USF and others.

This bowl win is memorable for UCF and its fans, but it's 3rd and 34 for them in their drive to get into a better conference, and this bowl game gained them maybe a yard.

Winning and losing has next to nothing to do with it. It has been said a million, billion times, and still people throw it around. Rutgers is Rutgers. Pitt hadn't won anything meaningful in several years when they got invited. Cincinnati won back-to-back conference titles and are still in purgatory with USF and others.

This bowl win is memorable for UCF and its fans, but it's 3rd and 34 for them in their drive to get into a better conference, and this bowl game gained them maybe a yard.

Actually I'd like to modify that a bit: I obviously don't know for sure how likely it is UCF (or USF, or any other team) will get invited to join a better conference. It SEEMS unlikely to me, but who knows. What I do know is, one single bowl win, even in the Fiesta Bowl, isn't going to make much of a difference, however close they may or may not be.

Basically, the only way winning can force a team's way in is if they win SO much that they have a following that would make money for the conference that might invite them. That's it. And winning this game does not make that anywhere close to true about UCF. It would be embarrassing to think otherwise.

Edited by gobulls83

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711
  • Days Won:  0

God bless him ... Goldie has been providing those type moments for years on here.

First of all, gobulls83...it feels pretty good being a UCF grad, right now. Not sure how it feels to be a USF grad, I guess you still have being ranked as high as #2 for one week, six years ago. Secondly, Triple, the ratings in Orlando were huge and I didn't bring up ratings, another USF fan did. If you think that ratings weren't important in a team like UCF in their market if a conference is looking to expand, you must have fallen off the the Earth. Yes, I have been posting here for years and also said UCF would be in the same conference as USF eventually and was mocked by USF fans. That happened. I said UCF would both get to and win a BCS bowl before USF many years ago and was mocked and laughed at for that too. Guess what just happened? So I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I'm pretty much right most of the time. lol

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Congrats to UCF on a great win and the positive light it puts on our conference.  I think it also motivates our players to improve next year, as close as we came to beating them.

• Upvote 1