• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Could the Curse of Jim Leavitt finally be lifting?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  50
  • Days Won:  0

In a completely preposterous idea I have concocted, I believe the program became cursed once Jim was let go.  The facts:

his departure divided the fan base into the #TeamLeavitt and #TeamWeHavePlateaued camps; 

the Holtz new era cratered everything that was built (and this was a then proven conference championship winner who was up and coming);

Greg Schiano was hired by the Glazers a year later and he has seemingly cratered the Bucs (the guy who ruined 2007 now taints our home field...);

UCF has risen and in many respects and evened the playing field with USF, and has surpassed USF in some areas;

the Big East has collapsed;

USF has lost for the first time to an FCS team, FAU, and sadly UCF;

I don't know the exact stat, but one of the beat writers has said USF hasn't won on ESPN since like 2007 (so that trend, coupled with the Thursday night trend, has continued);

USF wins even less conference games. (4 wins over the last three seasons).

The upside?  At least USF got the aforementioned losses out of the way, so going forward they will not have those hanging over thier heads.  Skip's gone, and while CWT has been underwhelming so far, at least he is more charismatic and calls his players out, so that's an upgrade (not to mention the improved recruiting efforts).  The Big East has transformed into a very *sp* dominate-able *sp* conference.   Now being two coaches removed from Jim has seemingly reunited (at least to some degree) the fractured fan base. Jim has finally returned to Ray Jay (as a member of the 49ers), and in a nice piece written by GA, he seems to have buried the hatchet against USF.  Finally, this seems to be happening for the betterment of all those who play at Ray Jay (http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2013/12/politi_greg_schiano_going_to_penn_state_would_be_rutgers_worst_nightmare.html).

Thoughts?  Is the #CurseofJimLeavitt real.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,072
  • Days Won:  469

It might be the #curseofdougwoolard one needs to be concerned with. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

it's the burial mound...

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

The upside?  At least USF got the aforementioned losses out of the way, so going forward they will not have those hanging over thier heads.  Skip's gone, and while CWT has been underwhelming so far, at least he is more charismatic and calls his players out, so that's an upgrade (not to mention the improved recruiting efforts).  The Big East has transformed into a very *sp* dominate-able *sp* conference.   Now being two coaches removed from Jim has seemingly reunited (at least to some degree) the fractured fan base. Jim has finally returned to Ray Jay (as a member of the 49ers), and in a nice piece written by GA, he seems to have buried the hatchet against USF.  Finally, this seems to be happening for the betterment of all those who play at Ray Jay (http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2013/12/politi_greg_schiano_going_to_penn_state_would_be_rutgers_worst_nightmare.html).

Thoughts?  Is the #CurseofJimLeavitt real.

- USF got horrible losses out of the way.  Ok, but there's no evidence that the horrible losses have stopped yet.

- Skip's gone.  Ok, I'll give you that.  He was a total loser football-wise (but a nice guy).

- CWT is more charismatic etc.  Yes, he says all the right things and is totally fun, but the offense was kind of a steaming pile of Ambien and penalties all season.  I understand the loss of BJ was a big hit, but wow.  Will this change next year?  The recruiting buzz seems more exciting, and that's definitely what we need first and foremost.

- The Big East is ripe for the picking.  Yes, but every time the conference seems wide open, we tend to totally blow it anyway.  I would prefer to set the bar high with amazing competition.  I think it would be better for ticket sales, recruiting, and national rep in the long run.  So really, this seems like a turd at the moment that lacks the cool bowl tie ins of yesterday.

- Jim has reunited the fan base.  Eh, I am not so sure about that.  I think there will always be people that are unhappy about that whole situation followed by the Skippy extension.  I think getting back to winning again will only lift that curse.

- Schiano leaving will cleanse the Rutgers stench from Ray Jay.  Here's hoping!

You make a great case for a curse since it has been a total nuclear bomb since then, but I am not seeing the evidence that the curse has lifted yet.    :D

Edited by Rocky Style

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

The only curse is lrs not being here. He died the day after ND win. Been ALL DOWNHILL SINCE

We miss him

Edited by hm101

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

Well Schiano is gone. Maybe we won't have to hear about Rutgers for a long time...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

Rutgers moving to Big 10 ... Won't hear about them.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

There is only one way to go after hitting rock bottom.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

The only way to go is up from this point on!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

leavitt is responsible for usf's demise and the current position usf finds themselves

the legend of leavitt is far better than the head coach

he won nothing at usf

he is lucky he didnt get criminally prosecuted for hitting a minor

• Downvote 1