• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

OCS is a bad investment. Attendance across college football continues to decline. With high ticket prices, people would rather sit at home in front of their HDTV. As of the end of last year, that was across all conferences. The SEC started trying to make the game experience like the at home one by airing multiple angle replays to be more like home. So its not the game atmosphere with drunk, rowdy students people want, its comfort, affordability and a multimedia presentation from multiple angles that they get at home. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/college_football_regular-seaso.html
I'm glad there aren't more people who think like you...
Read the article. It's a trend going on for a decade. Declining attendance across all conferences. Doesn't take an economics degree to see that it's not an economically wise investment. That's common sense and unfortunately not something seen in abundance on topics like this one.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

What happens when they popularity declines because of concussion fears and rules changes?... Make it a small stadium, like 45k... For games with enough demand, host them at Raymond James. The stadium should be balanced for the good times and the bad times. Don't need 50-60k seats we only sell 25-35k...

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Interest rates may rise in the next 5 years.

Don't wait.

OCS is a bad investment. Attendance across college football continues to decline. With high ticket prices, people would rather sit at home in front of their HDTV. As of the end of last year, that was across all conferences. The SEC started trying to make the game experience like the at home one by airing multiple angle replays to be more like home. So its not the game atmosphere with drunk, rowdy students people want, its comfort, affordability and a multimedia presentation from multiple angles that they get at home.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/college_football_regular-seaso.html

But, man, he can defend the cripes outta Skippy, UCF, and recruiting Elijah Ironside! :D  I can't wait until USF has a quality, Minnesota-esque OCS.

Ah yes, more 'humor', with some delusion thrown in! :D

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  50
  • Days Won:  0

OCS is a bad investment. Attendance across college football continues to decline. With high ticket prices, people would rather sit at home in front of their HDTV. As of the end of last year, that was across all conferences. The SEC started trying to make the game experience like the at home one by airing multiple angle replays to be more like home. So its not the game atmosphere with drunk, rowdy students people want, its comfort, affordability and a multimedia presentation from multiple angles that they get at home.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/college_football_regular-seaso.html

But, man, he can defend the cripes outta Skippy, UCF, and recruiting Elijah Ironside! :D  I can't wait until USF has a quality, Minnesota-esque OCS.

Ah yes, more 'humor', with some delusion thrown in! :D

but money isn't made from ticket sales anymore (if that was the case then why have any varsity sports).  It is about tuition (increasing the overall appeal of USF to incoming students); it's about TV money; it's about creating an environment conducive for alumni support.  Perception is king.  I mean this 2008 ESPN ish suggests that USF only made $6.7 million in ticket sales during 2008 (http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue/_/type/expenses/page/1).

I thought there was some backlash already over the athletic fee. Isn't it rather steep?

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

I thought there was some backlash already over the athletic fee. Isn't it rather steep?

Not as steep as UCF's. Sorry to tell you. 

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

I was at a booster’s get together in late summer.  Woolard mentioned how he was very proud of the athletics facilities improvements completed in the last couple of years, all done with private funding.  He also hinted at further enhancements.  I thought at the time, maybe a stadium!!  However, that might have been derailed, or at least postponed with our performance in the field.  Kind of lost momentum to get into pockets, if you know what I mean.   

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

I was at a booster’s get together in late summer.  Woolard mentioned how he was very proud of the athletics facilities improvements completed in the last couple of years, all done with private funding.  He also hinted at further enhancements.  I thought at the time, maybe a stadium!!  However, that might have been derailed, or at least postponed with our performance in the field.  Kind of lost momentum to get into pockets, if you know what I mean.   

If anything, the attendance at RJS has made an OCS a higher priority now. No point of paying all that money to rent out a 65K stadium when about 20K actual fans are there. Now they can focus on a smaller stadium on campus that would generate more money by keeping it at the university. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

OCS is a bad investment. Attendance across college football continues to decline. With high ticket prices, people would rather sit at home in front of their HDTV. As of the end of last year, that was across all conferences. The SEC started trying to make the game experience like the at home one by airing multiple angle replays to be more like home. So its not the game atmosphere with drunk, rowdy students people want, its comfort, affordability and a multimedia presentation from multiple angles that they get at home. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/college_football_regular-seaso.html

Read the article. It's a trend going on for a decade. Declining attendance across all conferences. Doesn't take an economics degree to see that it's not an economically wise investment. That's common sense and unfortunately not something seen in abundance on topics like this one.
Does the article speak to revenues/NI? Afterall, that's all that matters.