• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We need a Running Attack to Win

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Not 100% positive what happened against UH, but our running game was not there. Things will be different for M. White from here on out. D.C. will start game planning for him, find small faults or tendencies, bring the house etc. If the run game can be established, TOP will go a long way in helping our D and should help out our Freshman QB. I think this is the key to winning several of our next games.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  193
  • Days Won:  0

Not 100% positive what happened against UH, but our running game was not there. Things will be different for M. White from here on out. D.C. will start game planning for him, find small faults or tendencies, bring the house etc. If the run game can be established, TOP will go a long way in helping our D and should help out our Freshman QB. I think this is the key to winning several of our next games.

First off let me say, I'm no expert.  UH was stacking the box with 7 to 8 guys and sometimes the safeties dropped down so much there was as many as 9 guys in the box daring USF to pass, it was clear to me that their game plan was to stop the run and force us to pass.  With only 5 OL and a TE (some formations 2 TE or a TE and a FB) to block, UH had the advantage of unblocked players.  Real easy to stop a running game when there is no one to block you.  The only difference is that Matt White is a better QB than the other 3 that have started this year.  After he started completing pass and moving the chains they backed off and the running game opened a little bit, but I agree it was no where near what it had been in previous games.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978

While they were stacking the box, so was every other team we have played this year.

The running game should be easier to establish since DC will have to respect MIKE White after his last performance.

IMO the staff is going to have to let a RB get into a rhythm. I dont think Shaw was ready but he got the main share of the runs against UH. As long as he didnt aggravate anything he should be ready next game. I still want to see Tice be the main back for a game to see what he can do.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

I think with White we can also change the tempo of the play calling. Against Memphis we want to run as many plays as we can. No huddle, hurry up would be a nice change of pace.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116

That was one thing that did confuse me. Despite White's success against the pass defense, the UH defense never backed up. Perhaps they knew we were in a passing mode and that's why they just kept coming after the passer. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Hard to do when the pass game is garners no respect.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Hard to do when the pass game is garners no respect.

Yep.

Need to hit some deep balls and those safeties will drop back. Open up a lot of room for running.

White did great in intermediate range throws, but would be nice to get him hitting some deep passes against man coverage (like the OPI play) to keep the safeties back pedaling.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

First we needed a passing game, now we need a running game, what do we need next?

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we do indeed a running attack to win

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

First we needed a passing game, now we need a running game, what do we need next?

Better tackling